Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

rangefinder

Newly Enlightened
I have to say; I was relieved to see the post from Surefire about this issue. I tried two different new 18650s and neither would work. So; I went through the process yesterday and it is super easy. I emailed them the info, within 20 minutes I had a response and called them. I have two of their batteries on the way !

I took advantage of this as well. I have some 18650s and only two worked; a surefire 2600mah that came with my Peacekeeper and a thrunight. I have multiple eagtac branded 18650s that flashed and then nothing. All the eagtacs work fine in my Peacekeeper. I was happy to get a couple more that I can depend on in this light.

Bronc6901

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else have a V70 holster to try and fit this in? Or does anyone have this and a peacekeeper that they can post side by side comparison photos with? I really want this as a duty light but not if I have to give up my p70 holster. Don't know why surefire promotes this as a duty light, but doesn't even make a holster it will fit in. Bummer

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF has released info that certain 18650's cannot handle the current draw of this light, and that the light will trip the protection circuits in these 18650's. To run the light, the 18650 needs to have a rated 5 amp discharge rate. The SF 18650's are 6A rated. I've been using a Felix 3500mah cell without issues. SF is running a special for purchasers of the light (as this issue wasn't laid out in the manual). Contact SF for further info.

Most every 18650 can handle 5A in their sleep, unless they're worn out, junkers, or just defective.

Most common Seiko PCB protection circuits trip at between 6.5A-8A, with PCBs on the high drain cells, like the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GA (10A continuous) tripping at ~10A.

Even at 1500LM, I doubt very much if the Fury DFT is pulling over 5A-6A, but I'm just guessing.

You all need to look for the newer hybrid chemistry cells like the S-P NCR-GA, the Samsung 30Q, the Sony VTC 5, 5A or 6, the LG HE4s, or whatever is similar (10A continuous rated).

The Panasonic NCR-B 3400mAh cell will probably be pushed to its redline and therefore, you won't get the longest life out of that somewhat dated cell.

Chris

Firehawk1227

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if this flashlight is available anywhere?

EDIT: I'm looking for the intellibeam version.

EDIT 2: Spoke to B&H and they expect to have a shipment on 6/30/18 for those interested.

Last edited:

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if this flashlight is available anywhere?

EDIT: I'm looking for the intellibeam version.

665146.webp

Available next week here it looks like.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ht-led-with-2-cr123a-batteries-aluminum-black

JonathanLarson

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I have the Fury dual-output 15/600 version. Does anybody know if this option will be available for the new Fury DFT 15/1500 .. without the intellibeam?

Jon

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most likely yes SF will make a dual output duel fuel Fury as well. I JUST got into SF after collecting since 1996. Thus far I am very impressed. My duel fuel Fury's both with and without IB are astonishing lights. I really wish SF would include MORE technical details like what emitter they use(HAS to be XHP35HD)and if they are IP68 rated or not(seem like they should be). These things are some of the most well made lights I have ever had. The potted electronics are a good thing to have.

JonathanLarson

Newly Enlightened
Most likely yes SF will make a dual output duel fuel Fury as well. I JUST got into SF after collecting since 1996. Thus far I am very impressed. My duel fuel Fury's both with and without IB are astonishing lights. I really wish SF would include MORE technical details like what emitter they use(HAS to be XHP35HD)and if they are IP68 rated or not(seem like they should be). These things are some of the most well made lights I have ever had. The potted electronics are a good thing to have.

I e-mailed SF and asked. Doesn't sound like it, but hopefully they do come out with this option. Not really interested in the intellibeam, but SF will definitely get my $$$ with a 15/1500 Fury DFT (non-intellibeam).

Adam Weekes (SureFire LLC)
Jul 9, 1:49 PM PDT
Hi Jonathan

No it will-be with Intellibeam only for the time being.

Thank you,

Technical Support
SUREFIRE, LLC

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Being new to Surefire as well as their Intellibeam feature I cannot help but be extremely impressed by it. Sure I can understand wanting a plain dual output DFT. That being said this Intellibeam feature on 3 of my 4 Fury's is one of the biggest innovations in lights in a very long time. The DFT has amazing output.

JonathanLarson

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. Being new to Surefire as well as their Intellibeam feature I cannot help but be extremely impressed by it. Sure I can understand wanting a plain dual output DFT. That being said this Intellibeam feature on 3 of my 4 Fury's is one of the biggest innovations in lights in a very long time. The DFT has amazing output.

Hey, thanks for the input. Maybe I'll just have to give the IB a shot.

Jon

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are more than welcome. Collecting lights since 1996 and I am just NOW finally bringing myself to cough up $200 for Surefires that many lights half and less than half that cost can do...but wait~! INTELLIBEAM! My IB DF Fury is basically the only way I can get ANY cells I put into it to NOT get sucked dry in an hour or less by the DF AMAZING 1500 lumen output. When SF says 1500 lumens they freaking mean it! That and double click to go PAST the Intellibeam feature to straight up blast till the cells run dry. I am VERY impressed by the build quality of my 4 Fury's and now 5/1200 lumen EDCLT-2 with the awesome "gas pedal" tail switch. These things have GOT to be good for a solid IP68 rating. I really wish SF would include that information and what emitters they are putting into their lights for once.

The Intellibeam feature takes a touch of getting used to but it actually works! Genius really! A light tube built right into the reflector itself? Sure it cast a touch of shadow in the beam profile but the benefit in saving ones night vision automatically via the light tube/sensor/VERY advanced auto adjusting driver is just something you do not find anywhere else. The DF IB is near impossible to find right now because of all that though. It took me a month to find mine.

The P2X 600 lumen IB Fury is also just as impressive really. The 3CR123 cell 1000 lumen Intellibeam Fury is awesome as well but the long battery tube takes a bit of getting used to once the extremely good 2xCR123/1x18650 length DF and P2X just "fits" ones hand so well but hey! Just like the 600 lumen G2X the 3xCR123 Fury also puts out more than advertised. Still though...NO HOLSTER?? Tis okay though I have so MANY from MANY other different makers I already perfectly fit them all.

Should you score the DFT or DF IB by all means do NOT scrimp on the 18650 for it. I started out with brand new Orbtronic 3500mah 10amp GA's and have the latest 3500mah IMR 18650's on the way. The IMR's should feed it a bit better. These things are built like framing hammers!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah! Sounds like you are usung the very good unprotected red wrap NCR18650GA 3500mah 10amps. Good stuff. What I have on the way are Panasonic based 3500mah 10amp 18amp max unprotected Orbtronic IMR 18650s. This is the first time I have seen IMR 18650's of this capacity and amperage. They are unprotected with a safer chemistry. I would post a link to what I have on the way but am not sure if I can do that here. Just go to Orbtronic dot com. Good price as well.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm personally looking forward to the Fury DF IB. I had an R1 Intellibeam and really enjoyed the IB feature. The light was just a little too big, but a Fury with IB designed specifically to use an 18650 sounds nice.

The mistake I think people make is they assume they'll have a "low" mode. Really, it's more like a single mode "high" only light that dims slightly to not overwhelm the user with back splash. The light still looks bright more times than not. Otherwise, double tap and lock in the actual high mode to avoid dimming. It's very convenient!

Latest posts