Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

kssmith

Enlightened
Here are some quick ones; I'll see if I can get some beam shots. The head wasn't glued on mine, looks like it was supposed to be, but not fully sealed. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1525122627.207205.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1525122638.383298.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1525122652.967781.jpg

Last edited:

kssmith

Enlightened
Sorry; where we are we have no phone service. So; I have an Olight 2600 battery; I think the battery is defective. I just got it, and it took forever to charge. Anyway; when I first put it in the Fury; the light would give a real quick flash, and never actually work. This was the same for momentary and constant on.

Last night I stopped at a store and they had some cheap 2000mah batteries; I got these and charged them, and the light functioned flawlessly. So I really think the battery I first used is bad. Nothing with the light.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I haven't had time to run it steady for a step-down test yet, probably this weekend. i'll see what I can work out trying to post pics here, as I haven't posted any in a long while. I could use a 600 lumen peacekeeper as a comparison model, I don't have a G2x in my arsenal. Didn't even think to check if the head was glued on, need to check that asap

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So surefire reluctantly woke up to the reality that nobody outside of gov wants to run CR123A cells and discard them, that 99% of people in the game of high-powered lumens devices use 18650s and such.. it's about time.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
So surefire reluctantly woke up to the reality that nobody outside of gov wants to run CR123A cells and discard them, that 99% of people in the game of high-powered lumens devices use 18650s and such.. it's about time.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

I'm excited about 18650 powered Surefires. I've also wanted to try Intellibeam. That these two have met in one device is very tempting, but I still have questions about this light.

Two CR123's would be unacceptable, even at 1200 lumens, as this would require about 3.5 amps and would be dangerous unless there was a quick, massive step down. You can get 1500 lumens from an 18650 much more safely, but I'd like to have clear expectations about the output curve and internal heat sinking mechanisms.

I'd also like to know which emitter Surefire has chosen for this model. Can anyone help with these questions?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will probably buy this model in a year or so when prices come down a bit and it's on the used market.

I have the G2x Pro as my only Surefire at this point and to be perfectly honest, I am really pleased with it. It's very light, durable, nothing breaks and you shift between high-lux 15 lumen mode and 320 lumen mode -- and you get great runtime with the 1x16650 cell.

This light is even better, but I do have to know it has any thermal management, meaning it runs x lumens for y minutes after which it steps down by 30%.

If it has dual modes and takes 18650 and maintains 800 lumens after the thermal activation, then it is a winner.

Last edited:

LandToSea

Newly Enlightened
I am more of a visual learner.. Both lumens wise and that 18650 insertion problem.

Can you fire it up next to a Malkoff Hound Dog or such. Or some other well-known reference. Like the 320 lumen G2x Pro for example.

Second question, do the lumens drop with time, after 10-15 minutes?

What are the equivalent output models for those comparisons?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF has released info that certain 18650's cannot handle the current draw of this light, and that the light will trip the protection circuits in these 18650's. To run the light, the 18650 needs to have a rated 5 amp discharge rate. The SF 18650's are 6A rated. I've been using a Felix 3500mah cell without issues. SF is running a special for purchasers of the light (as this issue wasn't laid out in the manual). Contact SF for further info.

Last edited:

Bronc6901

Newly Enlightened
I haven't had time to run it steady for a step-down test yet, probably this weekend. i'll see what I can work out trying to post pics here, as I haven't posted any in a long while. I could use a 600 lumen peacekeeper as a comparison model, I don't have a G2x in my arsenal. Didn't even think to check if the head was glued on, need to check that asap

Looking forward to this review. I'm Using a peacekeeper as my duty light and have to say I love it, but I'd like to see how they compare on output. This light has got my attention as a replacement because of the clicky tactical tail cap and that 1500 lumens!

Gunny84

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in this light but do anyone have any idea if a red filter is available?? I asked SF about it and I was told that:
"No it will not work with the fury, you dont' want to put a filter on a 1500 lumen light it could melt the filter"

rangefinder

Newly Enlightened
I just received mine today. The light body and tailcap are a larger diameter then my P2X Fury and my Peacekeeper. The Fury DFT will not fit in the V70 holster. I assumed it was going to be the same size even with the 18650 as my Peacekeeper fits fine. Anyone have a suggestion on a holster that might fit? I'm looking for something similar to the V70 for a 2 inch duty belt.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Below is the customer service info mentioned by dano.

Dear Customers of the FURY-DFT and M600DF,

When we launched these products our instructions were not clear regarding which 18650 batteries to use, and for that we sincerely apologize. Some customers who purchased the FURY-DFT and M600DF have experienced their light shutting down just after activation when using a non-SureFire branded 18650. This is because the FURY-DFT and M600DF are ultra-high-o
utput illumination tools that require a minimum 5A discharge rate from the battery to operate as intended. Unfortunately many non-SureFire brand 18650 batteries do not meet this requirement and generic battery manufacturers typically do not provide/state the discharge rates for their 18650 batteries. The SureFire SF18650A battery's protection circuit supports up to a 6A draw and is therefore the recommended battery for these products.
To make things right, for the next 30 days customers who purchased the FURY-DFT will have the opportunity to purchase up to two SureFire SF18650A batteries or the SF18650A-KIT, which includes a battery with charger, at a 40% discount, plus free shipping. Simply email [email protected]om, include the serial number of your light, a telephone number we can reach you at, and your full name and address. We will then contact you within 24 hours to complete your order over the phone and we will get you taken care of.

Link to batteries
https://www.surefire.com/sf18650a.html

Link to battery/charger kit
https://www.surefire.com/18650-battery-charger.html

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very refreshing to see Surefire dabbling in the 18650 category. That is also very nice customer service.

Just curious, does anyone know what cell Surefire rebranded?

kssmith

Enlightened
I have to say; I was relieved to see the post from Surefire about this issue. I tried two different new 18650s and neither would work. So; I went through the process yesterday and it is super easy. I emailed them the info, within 20 minutes I had a response and called them. I have two of their batteries on the way !

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very refreshing to see Surefire dabbling in the 18650 category. That is also very nice customer service.

Just curious, does anyone know what cell Surefire rebranded?

Cell used in the R1 is a Panasonic. Probably the same for their 18650's.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine today. The light body and tailcap are a larger diameter then my P2X Fury and my Peacekeeper. The Fury DFT will not fit in the V70 holster. I assumed it was going to be the same size even with the 18650 as my Peacekeeper fits fine. Anyone have a suggestion on a holster that might fit? I'm looking for something similar to the V70 for a 2 inch duty belt.

Holster hunting is not one of my favorite things to do, that's for certain! And I have a box full of them to prove it! ... :laughing: Aside from EDC'ing my HDS (kydex holster), working in the winter is the only time I don't use a holster. The rest of the year I wear one, actually two (HDS 250 in a kydex, and P1R in a modified V70 (I think it's a V70).

If you can't find what you're looking for; (I don't own any leather holsters) but if you don't mind leather. You could try contacting Dan, aka Hogokansatsukan (cpf, whatever name / he's easy to find in the HDS Systems EDC threads), aka Thor's Hammer Custom Leather; http://www.mjolnirleather.com/flashlight-multitool-phone

You may have to send the light to him for fitting / molding the leather to the light.

Anyways, just a thought! Good luck!

Pops

Last edited:

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
My DFT is very comparable to a malkoff houndog in my opinion. The DFT has a wider spill and less defined hotspot at distance. It's a really nice beam