Surefire tactician

carrot

Flashaholic
Always seem late to the party. Have one on its way to me in the mail. It's going to be competing with a 600 rated lumens polymer Streamlight model for primary use as my new main EDC light.

How do you like it? I ended up getting one too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How do you like it? I ended up getting one too.

It's fantastic. I love how the lower setting never gets in the way. Also, if you take advantage of the lanyard set-up on it, you transform the light into a Koppo stick. But James Yeager refers to it as a retention device for the light in case you need both hands to grab something. Yeah.... it's a Koppo stick at that point. :D

LRJ88

Enlightened
are these still for sale anywhere ?
I am in the UK though. thanks.

It seems quite a few places still have them, but a lot have stopped carrying them, i reckon the worst issue will be the shipping cost still though. I'm unsure if i can post links to companies selling them or not here.

carrot

Flashaholic
It's fantastic. I love how the lower setting never gets in the way. Also, if you take advantage of the lanyard set-up on it, you transform the light into a Koppo stick. But James Yeager refers to it as a retention device for the light in case you need both hands to grab something. Yeah.... it's a Koppo stick at that point. :D

I couldn't get into the lanyard ring. I clipped it off last week.

I'm finding the output on 16650 a little underwhelming. Despite that, I like it enough that I consider it one of the few lights I'd specifically grab on my way out the door.

Surefire, please give us an 18650 light platform in the same vein as the old E-series.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Even just 3-6v regular 2 cell e series would be great. All my favorite sf's are 2 cell e series but only have full out put with 2x 123 or 2x16340. Would rather run 16650, there's always something lol.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I couldn't get into the lanyard ring. I clipped it off last week.

I'm finding the output on 16650 a little underwhelming. Despite that, I like it enough that I consider it one of the few lights I'd specifically grab on my way out the door.

Surefire, please give us an 18650 light platform in the same vein as the old E-series.

Would love such an 18650 light, myself. :thumbsup:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Yeh, yeh, I know, Johnny Come Lately here. I think I mentioned buying this in 2018, and I finally did just a few minutes ago. My UM2 is the dedicated bump in the night light on my nightstand along w/ my Beretta APX; but I think this Tactician will bump the UM2 to the flashlight shelves. So this will be my first Maxvision light from SF. I'll see how it compares to my TIR and Reflector lensed lights. Still cogitating on whether to keep it OEM and just use CR123s, or invest in an Orbtronic 16650, Hmm...

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
My UM2 is the dedicated bump in the night light on my nightstand along w/ my Beretta APX; but I think this Tactician will bump the UM2 to the flashlight shelves. ... Still cogitating on whether to keep it OEM and just use CR123s, or invest in an Orbtronic 16650, Hmm...

The easiest question ever answered. Its for a home defense flashlight, you use CR123 batteries.

All home defense guns should have a white light mounted to them if possible. I can recommend the Streamlight TLR8A for the Beretta Pistol if you dont already have a light mounted.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. And since this light won't be used as an EDC or something, I agree that CR123s would be fine. Should last quite a while. I think the 16650 would be better suited for regular normal/daily use etc.

carrot

Flashaholic
Is it just me, or does the clip wobble side-to-side on the Tactician? My clip wobbles, and more than just a bit. Surefire sent me a new clip, but the replacement wobbles as well.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Is it just me, or does the clip wobble side-to-side on the Tactician? My clip wobbles, and more than just a bit. Surefire sent me a new clip, but the replacement wobbles as well.

How much wobble are we talking? On the Tactician that i sent in for a replacement there was maybe 1mm wobble at the very end of the clip and i'm not entirely sure that wasn't the actual clip flexing more on mine.

carrot

Flashaholic
How much wobble are we talking? On the Tactician that i sent in for a replacement there was maybe 1mm wobble at the very end of the clip and i'm not entirely sure that wasn't the actual clip flexing more on mine.

I want to say a bit over 2mm at the tip and it's definitely not the clip flexing. It moves with *very* light force.

carrot

Flashaholic
I didn't have any issues with that much of it, did you check the clip and channel when you changed clips?

Nothing looked especially botched on either side to me. I sent an email to Surefire but they sassed me when I asked for a new clip the first go-round.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Nothing looked especially botched on either side to me. I sent an email to Surefire but they sassed me when I asked for a new clip the first go-round.

I've been having some issues on that front too. If it's something that you feel bothers you a lot you could potentially see if you can get a copper paper clip or similar, shave it down until it fits snugly next to the clip, and then press the clip into place to lock it there more with less side play.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Oh! No. Mine is rock solid. Zero wobble. Possibly an issue with the mount that the clip is set into? Mine is perfect.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Have had mine for a few days now. It's smaller and more slender than I thought, which is good. My clip is rigid. I'm glad they deleted the FC before the CE; and the CE is subdued a bit with its grey look instead of bright white. The wide/floody beam pattern is wonderful, and my s/n is: A10780

This is my first MaxVision light from SF and it won't be my last...