The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
INFRNL You have helped me out more then you could possibly know!! Now when my wife says I have to many lights I can show her this picture and I'm home free😂😂😂

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Corrected... I found the M31LL in one of the boxes inside the order. So got it today! :)
I am glad that you found it hiding in the box:)
Oh goody, a M31LL 219B test shouldn't be too far behind.:popcorn:
I can do the primary test for ea module for now...but I have a funny feeling you are wanting something specific and a good possibility that it would include the energizer lithiums:poke::p
As far as the lithiums go, I think you will need to carefully think about what you would really like to see. I only bought the 12 pack and I think we are down to less than 8. I do not plan to buy anymore after they are gone. I plan to keep using my eneloop pro's as they are rechargeable and I do not live in Antarctica.

Fantastic! I feel like I need to turn off this computer before my wife catches me looking! It's quite a lovely collection.

Your tests have shown that battery station cells stand up to competition, but my issue with them is that they don't have a date printed on them. Mine have labels like "RILO," whatever that means, whereas my Surefire and Energizer cells have an expiration date 10 years out from the date of manufacture.

Thanks, I will have to get better pics and show exactly what ea light is...but for now we can say that i believe i have almost every malkoff light currently available from Gene with the exception of the scout heads. And hopefully i will have just about every malkoff nichia option here in the near future. My only concern is that there are a few modules that Craig has not brought back in the last 1-1.5 yrs.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
INFRNL You have helped me out more then you could possibly know!! Now when my wife says I have to many lights I can show her this picture and I'm home free
Whatever i can do to help some of you out:)

My wife has given up on me. Every time a package comes, she automatically thinks its flashlight parts. After 17yrs together she should know that I have issues and I get carried away when I want to buy something.

She recently had a friend and her husband visit her while I was on the road. Her friend said that her husband has been on a flashlight binge and my wife told them all the things i have been doing here for the Malkoff junkies. Luckily I am almost caught up and should be able to kind of lay low for a while and just focus on testing. That should help make her happy until something else/new comes along.

However My HDS collection is nothing compared to yours:poke:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
First thing. I took care of the dummy cell. It's a high quality aluminium one but I wasn't happy with the original shrink wrap job which lacked overlaps. Not sure if it's needed but I made it better. It still slides down a G3 tube (slower as the air has to now squeeze past) and floats down a 6P just fine. Remember it is sized to fit a CR123 primary tube. The original yellow casing is still on just did an orange transparent cover. Actually needed to redo my first attempt as never tried this before using a 16340 size. On a side note I think (but didn't spend any time looking at it so not sure) there might have been a gasket rather than O-ring in my new 22.3 MDX bezel. Not really worried about that.

The middle one is the new dummy cell I got in my order.

Sxzt592.jpg

Now....

XiKZJux.jpg

uhnaBp1.jpg

02Fr7d8.jpg

Here are the white wall shots. Taking it out now for a dirt road 5 mile run. This is exactly how the M31LL 219 appears to my eyes. Please note the flashlight is raised up so the beam is actually centered even if this photo might not appear so.

t8XL7TI.jpg

However when compared to the 219B in my NU20 the M31LL 219B looks warmer. It almost wants to appear rosy yet somehow in real life it comes off warmer though there is probably some rose in there. The NU20 always looked like a florescent light to me. I have two and the other is cool as well with a little bit warmer characteristics though the NU20 was good for color rendition in my testing.

Fs59VBQ.jpg

M31LL 219, M30W and M31. The M31 CW always appears more blue no matter what camera I use when compared to warmer tints.

RRAhtNg.jpg

Of the 3 so far the M31LL 219B based on screwing around the house for 1/2 hour with 3 flashlights getting strange looks from family members shows the best colors. I will take it outside soon. On a side note I knew the second it was turn on the M31LL 219 was cosmetically pleasing. I do a fast test within 30 seconds of owning a light. I shine it at an off angle but directed (however not into and never that bright) towards my face. This makes a halo that shows to me what the tint really is. It kinda looked white warmish. But the real test will be tonight. On a side note running 1XNiMH the 219 and W appeared just as bight. The CW was a bit brighter or at least it looked that way.

Keep in mind that tint is within the eye of the beholder.... I am going for a dirt road job. Will check with after for typos etc etc as was eating a late meal and typing. I don't multi task well.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I am glad that you found it hiding in the box:)

I can do the primary test for ea module for now...but I have a funny feeling you are wanting something specific and a good possibility that it would include the energizer lithiums:poke::p
As far as the lithiums go, I think you will need to carefully think about what you would really like to see. I only bought the 12 pack and I think we are down to less than 8. I do not plan to buy anymore after they are gone. I plan to keep using my eneloop pro's as they are rechargeable and I do not live in Antarctica.

I'll be happy with whatever you do. I'm interested to see how the LL does (lumens and runtime) compared to any battery combination you have already tested. I can infer the rest. Per email from Gene, he won't (initially) be making the new MDC body style in AA or 2AA so I'll probably be getting a (new style) MDC 1CR123 body paired with a M31LL 219B. Yes I'm interested in how the Energizer lithiums perform but CR123 primaries would probably be the most useful test for anyone interested.

Woods Walker: Looks like the new clothes on the dummy cells were good. I liked the color. Very easy to find. :)

Did you use a hair dryer and a pvc wrap?

Last edited:
INFRNL: What a beautiful collection, my friend! Congratulations on the quantity and especially on the quality of your babies.

I also have to show this to my wife. lol

Note: I'm missing the graph by comparing the different dropins m61 (cool, neutral and warm). I imagine now that it can be updated too, since you have a nichia in your hands.

Modernflame: regardless of quantity, we are all winners ... Being a Junkie is more than accumulating lanterns ... In summary: our merit and our prize is to have chosen to be a fan of a brand of excellent products, reliable, durable and with one of the best (I venture to say it's the best) customer service.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Woods: Great Job and i agree with Marco...Excellent color choice. I only have clear wrappers, but i am really liking the orange/red
I am currently testing the M31 219b, I do not see any rose, just a nice creamy neutral. However if i compare to others; i believe the rose starts to come out.
Is your nitecore a 219b or 219c; looking at the pic it looks like 219c to me. they are much whiter and is typically what everyone else has been using for nichia.

@ Badbs101: we will see how it goes. I mainly got the lithiums for you, so we will figure it out together.

@anyone...riddle me this:
My first flashlights bought by myself were the 2AA minimags and I used to like them minus the bulbs blowing out for no reason. Size was always good. However i do not really like the Malkoff 2aa form factor.

Got this minimag for free, found it in the dirt on a jobsite yrs ago.
BLK29PT.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted 5 new graphs, 2 new lights not tested before. I am questioning the results though as Cool White should be more efficient but these tests shows otherwise

Woods Walker

Woods Walker: Looks like the new clothes on the dummy cells were good. I liked the color. Very easy to find. :)

Did you use a hair dryer and a pvc wrap?

I got sleeves some time back from illumination supply though eBay probably has them. These are orange but translucent. I was attempting to get the best of both worlds aka seen if dropped but clear enough to know what the battery is without recording it. That said the overall visibility is influenced by what is being covered. I have a heat gun used when making Kydex sheaths. I think it could melt a can.. :)

vNtyz6n.jpg

b5DYbvE.jpg

xzp97U0.jpg

20qjNtI.jpg

OEAWkhT.jpg

Both of my NU20s and the LR30 lantern are listed as 219b however when reviewing them I checked a comparison and found they all looked like 219c. But without knowing for sure I just rolled with it. The M31LL 219 does appear more white than the L/N/W Malkoffs. The distinctions are magnified when looking at multiple options side by side. The overall tint on the the 219s I own are more consistent within the beam. Some XM-L G2s I use have at least 3 tints within the same beam. The hot spot is often more green and found this with W/NW/CW XM-L2s. The XP-G2s appear more consistent however their hot spots vary more than the 219s as well.

Naturally tint is within the eye of the beholder and for me unless it's just ugly my concerns are more slips/trips/falls then tints. That said I have a few lights with such unpleasant tint they don't get take out. Nothing really wrong as a tool for what I do it's just having so many lights why take out one that looks nasty. I guess like a bear during the height of the salmon run. The skin and roe leaving the rest to rot. Plenty makes everything picky.:grin2: Good for handing out during group camping trips. Worst case they walk.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

M31LL 219 out for a spin.

HseVEdW.jpg

That's wild scallion or onion grass. I intend to catch an EHT...Elusive Hatchery Trout aka stocker and use those in combination when cooking.

LiJXQ9h.jpg

Nitecore NU20 on left and M31LL 219B from illumination supply on right both are 219 though there is some debate as to the letter.

AVtcJqJ.jpg

r9KlS4q.jpg

wuCeqkg.jpg

N085VW0.jpg

Worked really good outside.

mamelo

Newly Enlightened
M31LL 219 out for a spin. ...
Worked really good outside.

Thanks woodswalker for providing beamshots!!

I like the beam pattern of the NU20, particularly how the hotspot blends smoothly into the spill. From your outside pictures I would say the M31LL 219 light does a better job than the NU20 at this specific outside environment. What is your real-life impression?

Btw, do you have white balance on auto or set to a fixed value on your camera? The M31LL 219 tints in the first and second picture seem to be quite different:

Here are the white wall shots. Taking it out now for a dirt road 5 mile run. This is exactly how the M31LL 219 appears to my eyes. Please note the flashlight is raised up so the beam is actually centered even if this photo might not appear so.

t8XL7TI.jpg

However when compared to the 219B in my NU20 the M31LL 219B looks warmer. It almost wants to appear rosy yet somehow in real life it comes off warmer though there is probably some rose in there. The NU20 always looked like a florescent light to me. I have two and the other is cool as well with a little bit warmer characteristics though the NU20 was good for color rendition in my testing.

Fs59VBQ.jpg

Woods Walker

As stated in my post both photos are as they appear to my eyes. It actually looks different when compared side by side to another light. Adjustments would detract from reality. The M31LL 219 worked very well outside but will take it out again tonight.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
got the office straightened up a bit. I need to build a shelf to either put some of my stuff on or to hold my soldering/test equipment. Actually a wall to wall shelf for the Malkoff's might not be a bad idea either.

I have lived in this house since 2006; you would think that i could find the time to break out my box of Zippo's and fill up my Zippo case:eek:
KZL5Xvr.jpg

Need some Primaries... My battery station cells seem to be multiplying...
Ykw7kVb.jpg

and the moment you have all been waiting for!!! 51 Malkoff's shown, but one was in the garage being tested, so i currently have 52 and more waiting to be stocked from illumn. Sorry for the poor quality pic

I just threw this together for the pic but all lights with Tricap are Neutral/Warm/Nichia, standard tailcap is for Cool white/UV. Obviously i cannot do this with the MDC lights.
s5Pth1t.jpg

Wow. You are the champion, without a doubt.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated in my post both photos are as they appear to my eyes. It actually looks different when compared side by side to another light. Adjustments would detract from reality. The M31LL 219 worked very well outside but will take it out again tonight.
Thanks for all your pics Woods; I really like how you post. Sorry, lost for the correct words. When you do these pics; its almost like reading a good article/story in a magazine. Hope that kind of made sense
If the last set of your pics are accurate, I definitely like the malkoff 219b over the nitecore. However I think every tint excels and falls short for certain given tasks. There is no perfect tint, too many variables.

How do you spell Malkoff Junkie?

"INFRNL"
Yes, I think I have a problem.

Wow. You are the champion, without a doubt.
I do not want to be the champion though... I am just trying to accomplish a task for the community and just doing my part as you guys do yours.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
INFRNL: What a beautiful collection, my friend! Congratulations on the quantity and especially on the quality of your babies.

I also have to show this to my wife. lol

Note: I'm missing the graph by comparing the different dropins m61 (cool, neutral and warm). I imagine now that it can be updated too, since you have a nichia in your hands.
I have seen most of your collection, not sure my pics will help you much;)
Plus, she is more worried about the knife collection you are currently working on:laughing:

Yes I can run the M61 219b and add it to our M61 series test

Blues

Enlightened
I have seen most of your collection, not sure my pics will help you much;)
Plus, she is more worried about the knife collection you are currently working on:laughing:

Yes I can run the M61 219b and add it to our M61 series test

Now that's a sickness I know something about. Hell, I could buy a couple nice vehicles if I ever get around to selling mine off.:sick:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's a sickness I know something about. Hell, I could buy a couple nice vehicles if I ever get around to selling mine off.:sick:
I can only imagine. I never got into too much as I caught myself before it got too far out of hand. I did spend several thousands on knives though. Luckily i never got into any of the custom knives.

More on topic:
I spent several hours last night working on older graphs and organizing. I still have more to do but now i can get some of the graphs swapped out.

I also ran the M31 219b and M31LL 219b Rayovac Primary tests. So I can now go through all the data, write it down, then transfer it to my spread sheets so I can make the graphs.

and...I am currently running the M61 219b 18650GA test; I didn't realize the M61 tests ran for so long. Will have these results tomorrow. Then I want to run the M61 219b on 1 rayovac primary and see how it does. I do know this module has an initial peak of approx 71lm from a primary.

Once i get caught up on my graphs or decide to take a break, I plan to measure all modules/lights so I can build a spreadsheet for approx current draw for the various options of ea module/light. I can then somehow integrate that into the thread in a couple different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.