The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long has the m61 been advertised as 425 lumens? Does anyone know the lumen increments the m61 has undergone over the years?

That took me by surprise. Very interesting. The N and W models don't seem to have changed.

Edit: This might merit an email to Gene. The output has increased, but the emitter and advertised run time are the same?

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.

I have a M61 (like everyone else here) but it's several years old.

Generally it's hard to increase the output substantially without substantial drop in runtime. Or, there is no free lunch.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like M91T

what a nice, broad beam, the glorious 650 lumens, it's the proverbial wall of light. With a very nice warm hotspot. And 19K lux will punch out there.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not sure what the change is. It definitely says 425 lumens but is still using a xpg2. Maybe he upped the drive current.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped emails with Gene. He says that the output of the M61 has been increased incrementally over time, but that the most recent increase was significant enough to advertise. He also indicated that the resulting increase in current draw is minimal.

Something else for INFRNL to test for us. :popcorn:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not sure what the change is. It definitely says 425 lumens but is still using a xpg2. Maybe he upped the drive current.

Drive current is now 800mah with 1.25 hours of full output on 2 primaries. I think it was 600mah or 650mah before with 1.5 hours of full output on 2 primaries.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ Did you happen to ask Gene how's the new redesigned (programable UI?) MDC's are coming along?

No, I think I've pestered the poor fellow enough. Decided I'd give him the summer before I call for an update on that project. I think the 425lm upgrade was meant to appeal to the lumen chasing crowd, although they'd likely prefer a 600lm module that steps down to 350 lumens after a few minutes. That's not really what people need, but it seems to be what they want.

Personally, I prefer the steady, flat, predictable output that has become part of Gene's signature. But what do I know, right? I'm just a Malkoff Junkie.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drive current is now 800mah with 1.25 hours of full output on 2 primaries. I think it was 600mah or 650mah before with 1.5 hours of full output on 2 primaries.

Truthfully, I prefer the 600 mAh and the lower 320 lumens (or was it 350) versus the latest-greatest.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I think I've pestered the poor fellow enough. Decided I'd give him the summer before I call for an update on that project. I think the 425lm upgrade was meant to appeal to the lumen chasing crowd, although they'd likely prefer a 600lm module that steps down to 350 lumens after a few minutes. That's not really what people need, but it seems to be what they want.

Personally, I prefer the steady, flat, predictable output that has become part of Gene's signature. But what do I know, right? I'm just a Malkoff Junkie.

That is correct. +1

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if anybody mentioned this or not but the new "raised button" MDC bodies are available on Malkoff's website. I never really got along with the shrouded button so, I ordered one of the new ones today. It's been a long wait...

It's currently available as a body only. It's called
MDC Shroudless 1CR123 Body:party:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Malkoff products for many years. This is a first for me. Has this ever happened to anybody? I am kind of bummed out since this is a limited run M61-XML-2 5000k drop-in.

I dropped my flashlight and I hear rattling. It turns out the reflector popped out of place. The drop-in still functions.

rswhgx.jpg

33wab69.jpg

1zwd8g2.jpg

e8wyl0.jpg

Malkoff special. He repaired it @ no charge and a hand written reply to my note!

Thanks Gene!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff special. He repaired it @ no charge and a hand written reply to my note!

Thanks Gene!

Great news! Thanks for the follow up. It looked like a job for a well placed blob of epoxy, but I'm not sure I'd have been comfortable applying it myself. Probably best left to the chief engineer.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to take apeak at the new MDC body and I noticed there's also a new e-series mcclickie tailcap. Might pair nicely with one of those Lumens Factory bodies.
28091784447_2f1a1eed03_z.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to take apeak at the new MDC body and I noticed there's also a new e-series mcclickie tailcap. Might pair nicely with one of those Lumens Factory bodies.

Is this the harbinger of a new flashlight? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the Malkoff "e-series" size bodies to date have integral tail caps. That would make this tail cap the only Malkoff component that is exclusively compatible with non-Malkoff products. I consider myself a fairly competent junkie, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I've overlooked anything.

Does Mr. Malkoff have something else up his sleeve? Or is there really that much demand for after-market e-series switches?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought the new M61 module. I had one a couple of years ago but I sold it because I was more of a tint snob than I am now. As much as I enjoy my neutrals, I've learned to appreciate the utility of cool white.

Status
Not open for further replies.