The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I busted out the M6 tonight. The MN15 LA throws a brilliant white beam without the dust glare you get with 500+ lumen LED throwers.

I'm old, my flashlight is old but we still can hold our own!

Thank you JS!!!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
kelmo,

Thanks for the post! I'm thrilled people are still using this configuration. It's definitely stood the test of time for me, and it's the one long-throwing, outdoor use incandescent light that I kept. I got rid of all my TigerLights and mag mods and etc., but the SureFire M6 is still one of my grail lights, and has stood the test of time for me. It's feels good, it looks good, it works really well, throw is incredible, and best of all, it does NOT give you the shine-back glare of LED lights. The MN15 definitely lacks for total lumens, relative to other lights, but man does it THROW, and when used carefully, it allows you to keep some of your dark adaptedness--or rather I should say it won't sun-blind you with all sorts of shine-back.

This is the illumination tool of the true outdoorsman. Not as clumsy or random as an LED blaster; an elegant flashlight for a more civilized age. For over ten years, the hotwire guys were the guardians of heat and inefficiency in the old CPF. Before the bright times . . . before the Cree LED's and their spawn.

Something from a movie I saw once. :thinking: Not sure which one. :devil:

Just kidding! No offense intended to anyone who uses LED's outdoors! I do myself, also. So, please, no flame-wars! Just having some fun with the "old flashlight old CPFer" comment (apropos to me, at least) and a Star Wars quote.

But I will say that on a foggy and/or rainy night, outdoors in the woods, I really like having my M6 with MN15 with me. However, I will also have my Haiku and at least one other light with me as well. But, just saying that in such weather, a long throwing, 200-275 lumen incan is my illumination tool of choice. Just my personal preference, though. :)

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello there Jim and crew!!!

I have been away for much too long from the whole forum, but recently catched up on the last posts. I am so glad everyone is using their setups with no problems.

And, very glad Surefire now has a warranty for the MN15 in the M6. Guys, we owe this in no small part to Jim, I´m pretty sure his endorsement counts a lot at Surefire, thanks Jim.

So now I SHOULD do away with my invention to "break in" my new cells with an MN20 lamp before the MN15, but ever since my incident with the darkened lamp (pictured earlier in this thread) I have adopted this practice with no issues. God forbid something happening to my turbohead. Besides, as I mentioned earlier a little time now and then with an MN20 and new 123´s does not hurt anything. And the lamp rides in my spares carrier anyway.

As for field use, my M6 has been largely replaced by a Surefire Fury. Only because of size, economy, and maybe a little more brightness. But the incan love will forever reign in my book. Like my collection of square and black A2´s with the FiveMega Strion socket and bulb. It´s not like the M6 is a museum piece or a shelf queen nowadays by any means, but it is so treasured. Same reason I now carry a Glock instead of a .357 revolver. Lighter, more firepower, and more convenient. But my love for revolvers will always be there.

Speaking of warranties, does anyone know if Surefire is still making the lamps and spare turboheads with no problems ? what if something were to happen can we still get a warranty on these M6´s ?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used it again taking my kids trick or treating. It was wet, drizzle coming down and the beam was perfect!

scout24

Flashaholic
One year bump... Used it dog walking tonight. Sits with some others in a cabinet by my back door, why it gets overlooked is beyond me. Nice, reassuring handful with gloves on, and the sweetest white throwy SF beam. Still awesome!!! :thumbsup:

skillet

Enlightened
This thread needs to stay in view.. Been hard not to pull the trigger on another M6 at the prices they have been selling at lately even on auction type site. Brighter is definitely not better most of the time. Don't get me wrong, the WOW factor still impresses and has its place. I would encourage anyone to find out what all the talk is about concerning the MN15 in a M6!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, the MN15 in the M6 is just perfect. I've used it in my M6 with two 18650's, and now with the higher mAh 18650's its even better.

Bill

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have just ordered the 2x18650 battery carrier to use with my M6 (had that since 2006). How is the runtime and output compared to primary cells?

Yes, the MN15 in the M6 is just perfect. I've used it in my M6 with two 18650's, and now with the higher mAh 18650's its even better.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Never used CR123's, but if you do the math they would be about equal watt hour wise, though I would give the edge to the 18650's for holding voltage better. This using 3400 mAh 18650's.

Bill

Minimoog

Enlightened
Never used CR123's, but if you do the math they would be about equal watt hour wise, though I would give the edge to the 18650's for holding voltage better. This using 3400 mAh 18650's.

Bill

Thanks Bill, that's good news indeed. Just about had it with chewing through primary cells, they seem such a waste too.

batman

Enlightened
My first concern is making sure Surefire still warranties the MN-15 running in the M6, because it is an expensive lamp assembly. Surefire customer service told me in 2012 or so that they did warranty the M6 w/MN15 combination, but still..I'm not sure if I totally believe their customer service dude "Mike" from back then.

2nd, you better make sure Surefire still has the Millenium series turboheads in inventory, because if you instapoof any incan inside that thing, it's going to require warranty service. The turbohead is not user servicable.

My third concern is that I blew 2 or 3 MN-15s in my M6 back to back the last time I tried that combo. I'm convinced an LED drop in like the Malkoff MD60 is a better choice, but it's out of production and Gene has said there are no plans to make that module again.

I guess I've gone back to the purist MN20 w/primaries approach to things for now. Which means I will not be using my M6 very often. It's sitting in my closet like the arm to the terminator.

scout24

Flashaholic
A little humble M6 MN15 love... :)

IMG_0347.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My third concern is that I blew 2 or 3 MN-15s in my M6 back to back the last time I tried that combo.

When you say "combo" do you mean 6 CR123's or two 18650's? If 18650's, what brand, mAh, and chemistry? Thanks, just trying to get clarification.

Bill

batman

Enlightened
Almost four years later, "Mike" still works the phones at Surefire customer service. I called Surefire yesterday to talk warranty hypotheticals just like I did in 2012. He said if the MN-15 dies in the M-6, that's not a warranty claim because lamp assemblies aren't covered (I know there are some exceptions). But if the MN-15 literally explodes inside the turbohead(It happens!) then Surefire will warranty repair/replace the turbohead(trust me let them do it, its like terminator eye surgery). However, since the M6 is discontinued there is no guarantee how long the remaining turboheads will remain in Surefire inventory. Keep in mind I'm not exactly giving an exact rendition of the conversation, just a good ol fashion Oklahoma summary. That means your taking your chances in my book, but then again its always that way with Surefire. It's not Rolex or Vertu where they will re-fabricate any part of your device for life. What I'm hearing is that once inventory is out your only option is to complain about it on the internet(as we/I often do).

scout24

Flashaholic
Batman- Thanks for doing the legwork to reaffirm the M6/ MN-15/ Turbohead warranty situation. Here's hoping it's never needed!

batman

Enlightened
No problem Scout24. I should renege my comment about complaining on the internet if Surefire inventory runs out of parts. Because, if or when Surefire lets that happens in the future, I think it's possible they would still be able to help, no hassle at all. If they can no longer replace and cannot repair your M6 equipemnt, they have been known to just send you the upgraded version of other discontinued lights sent in for RMA. I'm just shooting in the dark here but I wouldn' be surprised with Surefire.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No dog in this fight, but if the MN15 makes the M6 more useful I say 'go for it'. :)
While LA's do fail, I suspect that the incidence of actual bulb explosions is very very rare.
And then actually doing enough damage to make the turbohead unusable & unrepairable, a long chain of events to happen certainly.
If I had an M6 w/ CR123 primaries, this would most likely be my #1 bulb. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Js warned about touching the bulb, that oil on the bulb could lead to a catastrophic failure. Use alcohol to clean the bulb prior to turning the LA on. Just a precaution.

Bill

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to this thread I went and scored a M6 from an auction site for barely over 1.5bills. Just a week or so ago,
Great condition just needed some cleaning and lube, Dropped in a new MN15 and it's great.
Then got my FM 2 x 18650 adapter in and can't wait to get back home and check it out.

Now hunting for another M6 and an M4 because stupid me sold them a ways back. :oops: