Triples/quads are on their way out...

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The purpose is to illuminate a wide area instead of a narrow corridor for which you´ll need binoculars to actually see what you are illuminating in 500m distance.

Throw is for baby flashoholics :devil: :D :laughing:

Eric

+1 to that :)

My first quality light was Thrunite TN32. You might not believe, but it was my EDC for some time :D But the time has passed and I understood that first — it is heavy, second — it lights up objects in that distance that I am physically unable to identify (myopic I am :)).

This way came understanding that 99% of my practical application requires illumination no further than some 30-40 meters away. And I prefer to see the entire scene, not a Sun bright half a meter wide spot that blinds myself in the darkness around. There is one more surprise with the throwers: if you fail to notice a glass facing you... you are blind as a bat for several seconds. And here come flood lights :) It might be triples/quads, it might be Elzetta Bravo with a flood lens.

But I am not orthodox with floody lights. Right now I have a floody Elzetta and a Surefire Fury in my pockets :) I vote for balance... At least that "explains" the number of lights on me :whistle:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Torchlab Triples, they provide an equivalent if not better performance than my V5 Wildcat but in a pocket friendly form. Sure the runtime isn't so good, but that's what spare cells are for.
Plus I guess we're unlikely to see a multi die Nichia in the near future, or are we?
P

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Triples are neat, no doubt. I think I saw that they filled a need, and that need is solved with brighter more efficient LED, but I could be wrong.

Let me check something.

Assume that there is a new LED, and it has infinite efficiency, and infinite brightness. Who wants a triple with my new infinitely bright LED?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Triples are neat, no doubt. I think I saw that they filled a need, and that need is solved with brighter more efficient LED, but I could be wrong.

Let me check something.

Assume that there is a new LED, and it has infinite efficiency, and infinite brightness. Who wants a triple with my new infinitely bright LED?

One single emitter ? With infinite output ? And perfect efficiency ?

Then, sure, I'd want a triple of that ... since three is one, and one is none.

:p

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Thats the main issue for me with small single cell lights....................high output eats battery. So that is one of the reasons i prefer big multi cell lights. 2000, 4000, even 6000lm is nothing on a light like the rc40. So if i need big output and any decent run time(1hr min but ideally several potential hours), nichi or hi cri LED's are not a requirement, but far throwing bright neutral light is. Granted its more long walks/fun than actual need, but for those types of uses.

A couple of halloweens back i EDC'd an m43vn, used on 20% which is near 2500lm and could manage the heat with decent run time. It was sure fun lighting up streets to the sides and straight down them.

I love the little ZL's,
Pz1RDnNl.jpg

but they dont compete for pocket space against my triples and quads. Not because one is better than the other, simply down to one is more suitable than the other for a given application. Unlike yourself, most my ZL use is bellow the 300lm output, more close up to moderate distance type uses. One thing i do like a lot with ZL's , the form factor for 18650. Similar in size to many typical 16340 lights, yet all the benefits of an 18650 fuel tank.
U3sk8gVl.jpg

Last little break we had, i took a couple of the ZL with me, a HI 4500k and plus 5000k
JKEvHasl.jpg

If I may ask what is that fat flashlight with the 12 LEDs?

ven

Flashaholic
12 LED's i presume last pic far right is the m43vn.
3rd along in this pic
XQ2OwQCl.jpg

Around 11,000lm

Keitho

Enlightened
One single emitter ? With infinite output ? And perfect efficiency ?

Then, sure, I'd want a triple of that ... since three is one, and one is none.

:p

Oh yeah, now we're talking my language! Let the philosophical debate begin on whether one infinity can be greater than another! I'd personally prefer an infinite number of infinitely bright and infinitely efficient LED--that would be infinitely brighter than only three infinitely bright LED...or would it!?

ven

Flashaholic
Hank has a sale on , think still on at international outdoors. Bargain and some at $98 !!!!!

One i have is one of vinhs with his driver and LED swap.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, now we're talking my language! Let the philosophical debate begin on whether one infinity can be greater than another! I'd personally prefer an infinite number of infinitely bright and infinitely efficient LED--that would be infinitely brighter than only three infinitely bright LED...or would it!?
Well we'd certainly need an infinite number of batteries, just to start.
P

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinitely bright and effective LEDs will start a new era of space travel... and weapon manufacturing. Being a child I loved to read sci-fi stories. Seems to me in one of those was a moment of evaporating cities via aiming main propulsion to the enemy from an orbit altitude.

Last edited:

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Hank has a sale on , think still on at international outdoors. Bargain and some at $98 !!!!!

One i have is one of vinhs with his driver and LED swap.

I looked at it. It's such a good price, just $18.00 more than what I paid for my last 900 lumen light. But they do not give enough info. Info like how many power levels etc.

Keitho

Enlightened
Man, I might have to get another M43 at that price, that nichia version is so nice

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
To confuse things even further, some folks are starting to make quad-emitter arrangements of the new Nichia E21 emitters, which are available in the top tier R9080 color rendering rank. They're not spread out under 4 distinct optics like a D4, nor do they comprise a single package like the XHP50. They're just small emitters with fairly high output for their size that reportedly work well clustered together if you use a TIR optic.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was very pleased to learn that McGizmo edcs a low power mule light. My edc light is also a mule, in an e1e host. I've tried a number of triples/quads and now done with them: too narrow for close up. No throw, too. If I crank out 4000lm I just blind myself for the near zone is too bright. If I need a light for outdoors it is an u-f10 zoomie which I tweaked so that its is almost 90deg in flood mode

Latest posts