Triples/quads are on their way out...

ven

Flashaholic
On my h17f(think i have 3 of the drivers), i have a single mode , do it all level which is good for most applications. Each and every time i know what i am getting, you can then have a double tap for level 24 or a strobe etc. Then on my group 2(or other group) a traditional 3 levels(low/med/high type) with no memory set. So each time it starts on low(which tends to be a good enough level again to do general close up stuff). Double tap for the high level which i tend to set bellow the max level 24(can be too high for a single 219b for example and BOOM). So with certain LED's, care needs to be taken...............triples, quads its spread over 3 or 4 LED's, so not as risky. Even then i wont push too hard, to the eye not much gain, to the cell the mah gets eaten toooooooo fast !

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love that H17F driver. It's the best available clicky driver you can buy for your flashlights. It's the only clicky driver I've tried with a UI that approaches the convenience of a well-designed e-switch driver.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
H17F is good but the Crescendo user interface has a lot going for it. Needs a reverse clicky but that is a good thing for some applications, notably navigation. Was hoping Randy would change the driver on an old Nailbender single mode, solid copper module, triple Nichia 219B ~5000K 3.8A to Crescendo but checked in with PFlexPRO last week; Another agency placed an order. He has not had a break for a while now, but good on him.

Primary outdoor illumination these days is Emisar D1S 5000K XPL HI for throw, Emisar D4 aluminum with the warm 5D XPL HI Quad for navigation. Extended forays into the night; get to use the Oveready Defense Light with a single 26650 driving a Quad XPL HI 5000K Crescendo from PFlexPRO.

The contention that triples and quads are on their way out is like trying to flame us with an old match from an old time cheap restaurant matchbook. Not in my world, but no big deal. I like the spread and efficiency of multiple emitters for navigating.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm finding myself increasingly interested in the FW3A, and just joined the group buy list after learning more about the driver and firmware, and realizing that the pictures likely don't convey a good size comparison to the D4.

Meanwhile, I'm taking a few minutes now and then when I have spare time to mod a 9-LED Harbor Freight style light with Yuji's and multi-mode driver. It won't be remarkable lumen-wise, but I already had both the emitters and the host, the driver was $3, a replacement for the terrible stock switch was $0.79, and a quick bench test of the 9 Yujis together the other night looked superb. I'm much more excited than is appropriate about this style of light.

Then we have some news leaked today that further cements the continuing interest in multi-emitter lights:
The D4s - a 26650-powered member of the D4 family, with some miscellaneous improvements.

ven

Flashaholic
The D4s has my interest, i do like the 26650 lights(not just for their mah tank)but for the comfort and better heat dissipation potential. I find still 26650 pretty much perfect in hand for feel/comfort. Its also a good excuse to use some 26650 cells i have stored. :)

What flavour D4s is another question though....................choices choices and it will be just one(not 3 or 4 lol).

IsaacL

Enlightened
Eh, as a home gamer I can source the same Carclo triples and quad optics that seem to dominate the field for ~$2 for triples and ~$3 for quads. Suspect that even in the moderate volumes that boutique producers are running they can buy them for markedly less. A quick glance at mtn electronics suggests that big TIRs are more expensive than the triples and quads.

I was referring to the production market–not the average basement modder... Try asking Carclo for something custom and see what their minimum order size/cost is. Someone already invested in the molds + R&D for their COTS optics, which is why you can get them for ~$1-2/unit now.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I was referring to the production market–not the average basement modder... Try asking Carclo for something custom and see what their minimum order size/cost is. Someone already invested in the molds + R&D for their COTS optics, which is why you can get them for ~$1-2/unit now.

If you're Everready living off thin margins and actual differentiation this matters.

If you're ThorTac and sell exclusively off your product description and listing image on the bay and the zone because a half dozen other 'brands' have the almost exact same product with a different silkscreen on identical bodies then odds are you're using commodity products such as Carclo or more likely an indigenous optic/reflector. The same - or similar - parts that hobbyists use are cheap and plentiful and single vs multi-emitter could be what differentiates you from the rest of the pack for not much more.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm finding myself increasingly interested in the FW3A, and just joined the group buy list after learning more about the driver and firmware, and realizing that the pictures likely don't convey a good size comparison to the D4.

My most anticipated production light FW3A. Just about the same size as a ZL SC64 with triple led, sweet ui, Great turbo and moonlight... Just about the perfect EDC!

markr6

Flashaholic
My most anticipated production light FW3A. Just about the same size as a ZL SC64 with triple led, sweet ui, Great turbo and moonlight... Just about the perfect EDC!

WOW! Ton of interest in this light. Over 1000 at the moment. I don't want to join another forum just to sign up, but maybe I can wait and see if they'll be available elsewhere later on.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! Ton of interest in this light. Over 1000 at the moment. I don't want to join another forum just to sign up, but maybe I can wait and see if they'll be available elsewhere later on.

It does sound like an interesting light, especially with a versatile (but complex) programming interface. I signed up, though I'm thinking that a Zebralight SC64w might be a better choice. (Okay, who am I kidding, I'll get both.)

The downside with budget lights, is that they use linear and FET drivers, which aren't very efficient and lead to decreasing output as the battery depletes. I much prefer good boost drivers, like what Zebralight uses. More efficient and constant output.

That said, FET-driven lights are very impressive on max, when using fully-charged batteries.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's no date set yet for closing the group buy, so you've still got time to think about it. I believe the expectation is that once the group buy is completed, Lumintop will have rights or a license to produce this light on their own. The catch is the price probably will be higher than the group buy.

I wasn't going to sign up for another forum either, but after I eventually did for other reasons, I then read the updates on the FW3A and realized it addressed most of the admittedly few things I'd like to see improved about the D4. It should have a lower moonlight, significantly higher regulated modes, be a bit slimmer, and will have the super-flexible Anduril firmware.

Anduril adds features like choosing between smooth ramping or stepped modes, being able to program the ramp ceiling while still having double click access to full turbo, and a soft lockout that has momentary access to moonlight mode.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx for heads up. Joined the group buy (I guess :)).

Cool! It's just an interest list, but get on it at least so you get notified. Can't wait until we get some movement forward. It's killing me just waiting. I actually think it is killing me, for real! :D

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put off joining for years. Definitely a fun place though. They make stuff happen and you can participate in the outcome to some extent. I wish I had joined sooner.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does sound like an interesting light, especially with a versatile (but complex) programming interface. I signed up, though I'm thinking that a Zebralight SC64w might be a better choice. (Okay, who am I kidding, I'll get both.)

The downside with budget lights, is that they use linear and FET drivers, which aren't very efficient and lead to decreasing output as the battery depletes. I much prefer good boost drivers, like what Zebralight uses. More efficient and constant output.

That said, FET-driven lights are very impressive on max, when using fully-charged batteries.

Completely agree!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Triples/quads are on their way out...
Nah...trips and quads aren't going anywhere. They are here to stay.

I may be a false profit, but you heard it here first.
Actually, folks have been saying this for a couple years now.

Seems the more they say it, the more amazing trips and quads we see come to fruition (i.e the X65 and X70).

Kestrel

Flashaholic
At the risk of going a little off-topic (would I ban myself :thinking:), but along the same lines as the discussion above;

Are computer multiprocessors on their way out, to be replaced by single CPU's ?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes. There's some talk on BLF about maybe making a budget buck-boost driver for modders and BLF run lights that would have similar efficiency to the drivers in premium lights like Zebralight. Hopefully the driver gurus over there will step up to the plate and get on it.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. There's some talk on BLF about maybe making a budget buck-boost driver for modders and BLF run lights that would have similar efficiency to the drivers in premium lights like Zebralight. Hopefully the driver gurus over there will step up to the plate and get on it.

I gather they're just starting to cut their teeth on this kind of driver, with the person who designed the BLF GT driver being a member, and I presume sharing some of what he knows.

It will be a challenge to create an entire package as small as what Zebralight has achieved, however. By the specs, the SC64 is a hair slimmer (except for the bump around the button) and no longer than the FW3A's listed dimensions despite fitting in both a boost-buck driver and a reflector (the TIR optics in the FW3A are low profile in comparison).

I guess the main thing drawing me toward the FW3A is the Anduril firmware. Were it not for that, I think I'd lean more towards an SC64, because ultra high lumen outputs aren't a priority for me.

Fortunately, the FW3A reduces that gap a bit compared to some other drivers by using multiple linear regulators on two separate channels. That should give it good regulation up to somewhere in the 800-1000 lumen ballpark, down to 3.4V on the battery, or maybe a bit lower.