Triples/quads are on their way out...

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gather they're just starting to cut their teeth on this kind of driver, with the person who designed the BLF GT driver being a member, and I presume sharing some of what he knows.

It will be a challenge to create an entire package as small as what Zebralight has achieved, however. By the specs, the SC64 is a hair slimmer (except for the bump around the button) and no longer than the FW3A's listed dimensions despite fitting in both a boost-buck driver and a reflector (the TIR optics in the FW3A are low profile in comparison).

I guess the main thing drawing me toward the FW3A is the Anduril firmware. Were it not for that, I think I'd lean more towards an SC64, because ultra high lumen outputs aren't a priority for me.

Fortunately, the FW3A reduces that gap a bit compared to some other drivers by using multiple linear regulators on two separate channels. That should give it good regulation up to somewhere in the 800-1000 lumen ballpark, down to 3.4V on the battery, or maybe a bit lower.

You should look into the drivers Texas Ace designed. They are triple channel. Single 7135 + 7x7135 + FET for low lows, 3 amp regulation and FET performance. Although it isn't a boost...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gather they're just starting to cut their teeth on this kind of driver, with the person who designed the BLF GT driver being a member, and I presume sharing some of what he knows.

It will be a challenge to create an entire package as small as what Zebralight has achieved, however. By the specs, the SC64 is a hair slimmer (except for the bump around the button) and no longer than the FW3A's listed dimensions despite fitting in both a boost-buck driver and a reflector (the TIR optics in the FW3A are low profile in comparison).

I wouldn't expect a light as small as a Zebralight. It would be a budget light, so compromises would have to be made. But a good buck/boost driver for high efficiency should be the #1 priority, IMO. There's already a ton of budget lights using FET and linear drivers, so a better driver would be nice.

Fortunately, the FW3A reduces that gap a bit compared to some other drivers by using multiple linear regulators on two separate channels. That should give it good regulation up to somewhere in the 800-1000 lumen ballpark, down to 3.4V on the battery, or maybe a bit lower.

I'm not convinced, yet. I have some Convoy lights that use eight 7135 linear drivers. In theory, that should give a regulated output for most of the battery's capacity. In practice, I see output drop by about 25% when the battery is half-discharged (around 3.7v resting). And that is when used with a high-drain 30Q cell, so voltage sag shouldn't be too bad.

It's not as bad a output drop as a FET driver, but it's not well regulated as I hoped. Maybe the FW3A will use better components that will result in better regulation, but I'll wait to see.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
...It will be a challenge to create an entire package as small as what Zebralight has achieved, however. By the specs, the SC64 is a hair slimmer (except for the bump around the button) and no longer than the FW3A's listed dimensions despite fitting in both a boost-buck driver and a reflector (the TIR optics in the FW3A are low profile in comparison)...
The FW3A has a tailcap electronic switch like an HDS or Liteflux. This adds some length that side-switch Zebralights don't require. An SC64 with a tailcap switch would be considerably longer.

Last edited: