Would You still Buy an Arc AAA Today?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc-AAA GS - still a classic? Worth buying or should I be happy my E01?

Peter, had some bumps along the way. I met the guy, totally committed to his work, at the time. Go to the Underground if you want more info, but don't post it up here.

Bill

Noted: Did not realize it was underground territory.

110% agreed on commitment. Man has passion.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Haven't carried one in a long time but won't ever get rid of all of them, at least one of the AAA and the one remaining AA that I still have.

So easy to relegate these to the junk pile of history for some, although many still find the even less useful Maglite to be keeper. Far from saying one shouldn't keep the Mag, but the Arc will still light up the night when all is dark, and get decent runtimes in a featherlight package that simply takes up no space.

My friend is still carrying the SS LD01 I gave him, but his wife has refused any updated lights because she loves the Arc-P so much and thinks of it as simply perfect for navigating the trail across the creek in the pitch black surroundings they live in.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I stated, back on page 1 (almost 6 1/2 years ago), how I had stopped using my Arc's, I will admit that my daughter is still using the Arc, that I gave her about 10 years ago, and has NO desire to exchange it for anything else (trust me, I've tried. LOL).

I gave it to her, along with a couple of other lights, for her trip to Europe, and wanted her to have one light that she could always have with her and could always depend upon. She, and her friends, found unbelievable the amount of light it put out (back then), for it's size.

So I guess that even though I long ago moved on from Arc (still have 6 or so in my light box), my daughter would agree with many others here, that it is, and probably always will be, her favorite and her go to light! LOL

carrot

Flashaholic

I keep thinking about buying a new Arc-AAA. My old one on my keys finally wore through the keyring attachment so I took it off my keys and slipped it into the Leatherman Wave holster. Have tried many other lights on my keys, but nothing felt more right than the Arc-AAA.

For the cost to me to ship it out and the return shipping that Arc charges, I deemed it not worth the warranty replacement that the skeleton crew over at Arc offered to me. If Peter were still there, he'd have probably sweet-talked me into doing it.

The Preon P0 was close, maybe even better, perhaps the first AAA light I ever owned that matched the Arc-AAA in its tank-like feel, but the split ring that it was attached to came apart and that light was lost.

Even today, I find the beam shape and profile of the 5mm Nichia to be pleasing, with just the right balance of flood and throw. I think, with the right timing, an Arc-AAA could find its way onto my keyring again. Part of it is nostalgia. Part of it is that no other light is quite like it in feel, size and battery vampirism.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

I keep thinking about buying a new Arc-AAA. My old one on my keys finally wore through the keyring attachment so I took it off my keys and slipped it into the Leatherman Wave holster. Have tried many other lights on my keys, but nothing felt more right than the Arc-AAA.

For the cost to me to ship it out and the return shipping that Arc charges, I deemed it not worth the warranty replacement that the skeleton crew over at Arc offered to me. If Peter were still there, he'd have probably sweet-talked me into doing it.

The Preon P0 was close, maybe even better, perhaps the first AAA light I ever owned that matched the Arc-AAA in its tank-like feel, but the split ring that it was attached to came apart and that light was lost.

Even today, I find the beam shape and profile of the 5mm Nichia to be pleasing, with just the right balance of flood and throw. I think, with the right timing, an Arc-AAA could find its way onto my keyring again. Part of it is nostalgia. Part of it is that no other light is quite like it in feel, size and battery vampirism.

Dude, Carrot, Hello! I've read all your stuff over the years! :wave:

Anywho I find that odd you would buy a current ARC as we all know they aren't the same as your current one?

nightshade

Enlightened
Ooops, Dang It!!! I ordered another snow white version last November. Put in on the key ring for my 1978 MG Midget. The two tiny tools serve me well and are still fun to use. I promise to carefully peruse this 7 old thread before making any further Arc AAA purchases. :D :poke:

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my favorite Arc-AAA and I'll be keeping it but I wouldn't buy one today. If you want a simple reliable 5mm led light, the Fenix EO1 seems like a much better buy with its lower price & better regulation.

Otherwise, I would go with a more modern AAA light with multiple modes & a better emitter.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my favorite Arc-AAA and I'll be keeping it but I wouldn't buy one today. If you want a simple reliable 5mm led light, the Fenix EO1 seems like a much better buy with its lower price & better regulation.

Otherwise, I would go with a more modern AAA light with multiple modes & a better emitter.

My thoughts also.

Jerry

carrot

Flashaholic

Dude, Carrot, Hello! I've read all your stuff over the years! :wave:

Anywho I find that odd you would buy a current ARC as we all know they aren't the same as your current one?

Hi!

I don't understand. How is the Arc no longer the same? Peter sold Arc to the same company that was making them. I assume they haven't bothered changing the process.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi!

I don't understand. How is the Arc no longer the same? Peter sold Arc to the same company that was making them. I assume they haven't bothered changing the process.

Very interesting. I was under the impression of reading it MANY times that they are not the same since the company has been sold, that the QC has gone down? I think the math is good here as I doubt Peters passion could be easily replaced.

Is this not the case?

TIP AND RING

Enlightened

I now carry a EOSLAMP SP11-S2 on my keychain, a superior light in most ways. I would not buy another Arc AAA at retail. But, that said, I have 7 Arc AAA lights running around on family key rings. The lights date from roughly 2004 to 2013. Never any trouble or returns. QC is hard in a rapidly changing environment. There will be some lemons from EVERY manufacturer. I have had several returns to HDS/RA/ and Surefire over the years. Both of these are highly regarded lights in these halls, with fan boys aplenty. Almost to the point of "don't you dare". The vast majority of Arc AAA's work, I'll bet, even as they are surpassed by technology and foreign manufacturing, and no longer spoken highly of on internet forums.

easilyled

Flashaholic

You gotta look at the history of the poster. He, me, are older member, he and me started out with ARC AAA, and worked our way up. We are the old timers in this forum, and have reverence for old starter lights that brought us forward to the new age. Yeah, not to say you are not a flashaholic, if you do not like Arc AAA's, but that is what we felt in the good old days, and sometimes want to put it out in this new age. Give slack. LOL.

Bill

I am an older member too, not quite as old in terms of membership as you though. :)

I can understand the nostalgia of a groundbreaking design at the time but I try to balance this against an objective view of pros and cons of what's available at the current time.

The Arc-AAA is a bit like a Volkswagen Beetle in that it was regarded as being reliable, simple and a nice design. It achieved cult status.

All today's AAA lights are more efficient, some are equally robust if not more so and many are much more versatile having more levels. This doesn't devalue the Arc-AAA as it was the standard at the time.

scout24

Flashaholic

Agreed with easilyled- value is in the eye of the beholder. I have had several, and am pretty sure there's one still around here. I'll dig it up later.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am an older member too, not quite as old in terms of membership as you though. :)

I can understand the nostalgia of a groundbreaking design at the time but I try to balance this against an objective view of pros and cons of what's available at the current time.

The Arc-AAA is a bit like a Volkswagen Beetle in that it was regarded as being reliable, simple and a nice design. It achieved cult status.

All today's AAA lights are more efficient, some are equally robust if not more so and many are much more versatile having more levels. This doesn't devalue the Arc-AAA as it was the standard at the time.

Had a 1979 Super Beetle, when I got it it was so rusted me and the girl of the day, kicked the floor out. It was a fun car, but a little dangerous without the floor. It was also cursed, I wrecked it 3 times. By the time I was done with it, it was a brand new car. I just couldn't seem to keep it on all 4 wheels.

Back to the topic..... I had the opportunity to play with the original @ Shot, me being non-nostalgia, couldn't really feel attached when I "shined" it on the ceiling...... and couldn't see the beam in a lit room. I get it though, it's a piece of CPF history. Respect.

scout24

Flashaholic

Easilyled- As the wisdom goes, ten lumens is still ten lumens. Nothing really to go wrong or break. Beautifully machined. The finest lines-per-inch knurling I personally have seen on a flashlight. Light as a feather. Svelte, even. Hides in the profile of my beloved E01. Groundbreaking indeed... :)

Edit- Here it is, solo, and with some friends awaiting some runtime testing this week.
P1020762.jpg

P1020763.jpg

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened
I don't know, this thread probably has the opposite intended affect on me. Makes me want to buy more Arc AAA's. Anybody got a spare yellow? Life is like a box of Arc AAA's, you know what you aren't gonna get!

mk9ow0.jpg

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found that placing a small ball of aluminum foil in the base of the tube does a fair job of mimicking of a spring.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to drive a 1971 VW bus that I regret selling in a major way. It was slow, it was dangerous, and it was AWESOME. I like things with a little history and this thread is making me want to get an Arc AAA in a major way. I've never handled one but I think it's one of the coolest flashlights I've seen. Minimalism at its finest!

Had a 1979 Super Beetle, when I got it it was so rusted me and the girl of the day, kicked the floor out. It was a fun car, but a little dangerous without the floor. It was also cursed, I wrecked it 3 times. By the time I was done with it, it was a brand new car. I just couldn't seem to keep it on all 4 wheels.

Back to the topic..... I had the opportunity to play with the original @ Shot, me being non-nostalgia, couldn't really feel attached when I "shined" it on the ceiling...... and couldn't see the beam in a lit room. I get it though, it's a piece of CPF history. Respect.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

I like things with a little history and this thread is making me want to get an Arc AAA in a major way. I've never handled one but I think it's one of the coolest flashlights I've seen. Minimalism at its finest!
The Arc AAA may have been bested in many ways, but in the hand it still has a level of perfection in balance that is worth owning.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened

To this day I still carry mine on my keychain.

Arc-P and a spare waiting in the wings.

Last edited: