Would You still Buy an Arc AAA Today?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone have an Arc AAA?

I have an Arc AAA-P that I have used as a keychain light on a few trips outside the country, as I don't want to take a chance on having my PeakLED Baltic stolen/confiscated. It's outmoded, but still a reliable and lightweight companion. Used it to illuminate a shower stall on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica (Pura vida, amigos!) when taking my third shower of the day. First time I had encountered that kind of humidity. Meh...

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

My third flashlight, the 375nm Arc AAA UV

I've only had it for about 3 years. I bought it in the hopes that I could use it for germicidal irradiation, which really needs the wavelength a bit higher energy, best if light curve peaks at 254nm. UV-C LED emitters are still outrageously expensive, and there are no UV-C commercial flashlights. But I discovered running the Arc AAA UV with NiZn secondary or Energizer Lithium cells does increase the light energy somewhat: after setting it down and running it for 10-20 minutes, I can detect the unmistakable aroma of ozone, which is formed by UV-C below 200nm. This is evidence, circumstantially at least, it is putting out wavelenths from below 200nm and up to and probably beyond 375nm. I have no way to know for sure, so I am cautious with it as these wavelengths damage the retina and can cause skin cancer. But my suspician is that I am a microbe killing machine.

Also, I use it for cat forensics:
oSSwMdit.jpg
AjjkipPt.jpg
4IU5tPQt.jpg

Bad kitty! =^..^=

BobG

Newly Enlightened

Wow, 14! Why so many?

BTW, small world, I am from Nutley but I moved to Bergen county to get away from the Essex taxes!

I loved them is the simple answer. I also have 9 of the Arc LS lights - Low dome and High dome editions - 3 or 4 of the short-lived Arc4. a few of the arc AAA that cycled Red-Green-Blue for my dog's collar. At the time there wasn't any other real power light around. I would stash them everywhere. I would be in Florida if I wasn't married. My wife (originally Irvington) can't leave the old friends.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still worth it in my opinion. I am starting to have a hard time finding hardy, purpose built long running AAA lights. I treasure my ARC-PS, and Fenix E0 very much. Its worth getting one IMO, but for the most part I don't really see a need for more than one.

Crenshaw

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 3 or 4 in total floating around my home, I hang them on doorknobs in case of power failures

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have three or four regular units, pre and post the issue with the very large flashlight company. One with a green LED and one with UV. Even have a couple of the red CPF special run units. Plus a couple of the AA versions, several LS with twisty and clicky bodies and the 2 AA tube. They were one of the first of the really useful LED lights that were not home brew units. Some of the early lights could barely light up the LED but the Arc AAA could light up the inside of a PC to allow you to see things.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have several ARC AAA-P ("Premium") flashlights and one UV model. The last AAA-P I purchased employed the DS version LED, but that was years ago. I used it to take a mile long walk outside when I first got it.

The AAA-P lights are useful for night navigation inside the house and I'm keeping them on neck lanyards in case of a power failure.

https://www.arcflashlight.com/index.html

arc-microstream-s2.jpg

Wireman

Newly Enlightened

How does that Micro Stream compare?

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened

I still have a half dozen in my collection as well as the AA version. I have a few "users" also. I
remember when they had just went out of business and they went through the roof on eBay selling for around 100.00 each.

If my memory is correct, ARC was basically sued out of business by Mag light. They got sued because of lettering going "around" the light.

They were, and still are a neat light.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened

Got a couple, the AAA-P stays on my nightstand! Great little light! :naughty:

braddy

Enlightened

I was a regular CPF reader long before I joined and my memory of the Arc AAA is that it was so incredibly expensive, and that I wanted one so badly but couldn't afford it, then the Fenix E01 came out, and then the LOD-CE, I am so glad that Fenix came along.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I remember getting an Arc AAA Premium years ago and being amazed that a tiny little light hardly bigger than the battery itself can be so bright. I remember it being as bright as the Mini Maglites that all the other electrician carried. I still keep mine clipped on my tool pouch for a backup or when I need to drop a light thru a hole into a wall.

Did Arc have it's own sub-forum here? I believe I remember that.

I thought I heard that there was a problem with Arc, but I see their website is still up. The Premium is selling for $45, I don't think it's worth it today with all the other competition.
Nothing wrong with your post at all, but I took the liberty of merging it with the epic ARC-AAA thread that has a long and storied history. :)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Arc-AAA GS - still a classic? Worth buying or should I be happy my E01?

I remember reading somewhere that one of these arc aaa's was dropped in a cave stream and laid there for a few years submerged. It was eventually found by miraculously by the same person that lost it. A new cell was put in and the thing worked! That is enough to tempt me to buy one.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

That same story prompted me to buy one as well! There was a video made of that story and posted on here.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Threads like this make me feel like I'm missing something. I'm kinda new to "good" flashlights and never had an Arc. I haven't read the whole thread but I get the impression the Arc lights available today aren't the same as the old ones. Is that safe to say? Is there a reason to prefer buying an older used Arc instead of one of the new ones linked above? And if that's true, anybody want to part with one of theirs? Most of you guys seem to have them by the dozens :laughing: