Zebralight SC64w HI

Flashlike

Enlightened
With an SC64w and SC600w IV HI, I originally said I didn't need this. But now I'm not so sure...it'll be hard to resist!

They're been really good on the past few introductions, even putting them up for sale before anyone expected. I'm guessing not much into November on these two.

markr6 -- Yes, you need one of these! And I agree on your projection as to when they will be shipping them. :thumbsup:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why Zebralight isn't using the XPL HI in this light? The XPL is a smaller die compared to the xhp35, and would throw more in the smaller reflector of the SC64. It's true that XHP35 can offset that throw difference with its higher output, but only when it gets upwards of 2000 lumens. Even the SC600 only puts out about 13-1400 lumens with the XHP35 HI.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I wonder why Zebralight isn't using the XPL HI in this light? The XPL is a smaller die compared to the xhp35, and would throw more in the smaller reflector of the SC64. It's true that XHP35 can offset that throw difference with its higher output, but only when it gets upwards of 2000 lumens. Even the SC600 only puts out about 13-1400 lumens with the XHP35 HI.

Ah dang it, didn't see it wasn't the XPL HI. Poo.

markr6

Flashaholic
Every comment I remember about the XHP35 HI (SC600w HI) was very good in regard to the consistent tint. That's my main concern. I'm just wondering how different it will be from the SC64w with the same small reflector.

markr6

Flashaholic
From what I have read on BLF, XPL HI is just as consistent with tint.

I have an Eagletac that isn't so great, but that's just one example...and the only one I have. I'm very happy with my SC600w IV HI though, and the III before that.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that my lights with the XHP35 HI have more consistent tints, regardless of CCT, than my XPL HI lights. The XPL HI are still very good, though. It's all the Cree domed emitters that have tint shift and green coronas, some worse than others.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked the best out of 3 tints with my SC600 MK3 HI, and it still isn't nearly as good as the LH351D and SST20 4000k emitters that I put a minus green filter over, but the important thing is there's no nasty tint shift with the domeless Crees. Of course it all comes down to what tint bin Zebralight sources. There are tint bins that are below the BBL for both XPL HI and XHP35 HI.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably because the SC64w HI is just a straight emitter swap from the SC64w. Since the earlier light uses a boost driver with 6v emitter, it's easy to swap in the HI version of the same emitter without changing any of the other components.

If they chose to use an XPL HI, they would no longer need the boost driver, and might need to make other hardware changes than just swapping the emitter.

Also, XHP 35 HI isn't a bad emitter. My understanding is it is brighter and more efficient than XPL HI.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
Probably because the SC64w HI is just a straight emitter swap from the SC64w. Since the earlier light uses a boost driver with 6v emitter, it's easy to swap in the HI version of the same emitter without changing any of the other components.

If they chose to use an XPL HI, they would no longer need the boost driver, and might need to make other hardware changes than just swapping the emitter.

Also, XHP 35 HI isn't a bad emitter. My understanding is it is brighter and more efficient than XPL HI.

They could use the internals from the Sc64c, which uses a 3v led, so a xpl hi version would be as easy as a xhp35 hi

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They could use the internals from the Sc64c, which uses a 3v led, so a xpl hi version would be as easy as a xhp35 hi

They'd still need a boost driver, for proper regulation. Or suffer a dimmer light that is regulated. Overall, I think the XHP35 HI is a better choice.

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
The SC64c only drives the LED at 3A, so the XP-L HI would have a pretty low output in it. Swapping an XHP35 HI into an SC64 is a much more straightforward change. For some reason Zebralight runs the XP-L2 at exactly the maximum current specified in the datasheet, while they're happy to overdrive the XHP35 at 1.5 times as much or more.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other night I needed more throw from my SC64w. Definitely interested in this. I have an SC600 coming just to fill the gap for a little. But no way I could pocket a SC600 like I can the SC64.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, I was going to wait for reviews, but I'm sold on the SC64w HI. Definitely going to pre-order.

Man, I feel like I need to do the same! Buying both at the same time just doesn't feel right though. Wait, am I even allowed to talk like that here?

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have decided to pre-order the SC64w HI as it should be a clear upgrade to my SC62w... but I am likely going to wait to for reports on the SC700 beam/tint/etc as it doesn't seem like it's definitely going to provide me with significant benefit over the SC600IV Plus.

nahid0812

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to pre-order the SC64w HI as it should be a clear upgrade to my SC62w... but I am likely going to wait to for reports on the SC700 beam/tint/etc as it doesn't seem like it's definitely going to provide me with significant benefit over the SC600IV Plus.
I am planning to purchase SC64w, what's your experience?

markr6

Flashaholic
I am planning to purchase SC64w, what's your experience?

It's one of my favorites. And I got totally lucky on the tint. It could vary on other screens, but hopefully this photo shows you how good mine is. No yellow or green. Just a nice neutral white. Of course, these vary so it's really just up to chance. Good beam, compact, UI, everything is solid. It's so good I'm considering the SC64w HI as well.

SC64w_L11C.jpg