3 Lumens On A Flashlight

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Now I wonder about .04 lumens. I can't believe it would be enough.

I should imagine .04 lumen would be about equivalent to the greenish glow from my older flip-phones little display, coz .25 lumens is WAYYYY brighter than that flip-phones display.

I've been messing with both the P0 and the Ti for awhile now, and feel you'd be surprised by how well 0.04 lumens works when shot through a normal OP reflector. Its dim little hotspot out-throws the floody 0.25 lumens. As far as navigating I'd say they're about the same.

Geoff

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ wow that sounds pretty good... guess that just leads to the next question - does the 0.04 get you any additional runtime? I can't seem to find any specs on that.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very useful. I've been using the SC31 (got from Christmas, thanks Scout24!), lowest setting and it's more than enough light at night for bathroom runs and getting water.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
^^ wow that sounds pretty good... guess that just leads to the next question - does the 0.04 get you any additional runtime? I can't seem to find any specs on that.

The instruction sheet with the ThruNite Ti says it has a 175 hour runtime in firefly mode. I'm still playing with it too much to take it out of action for a test.

Geoff

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once night vision is achieved, 3 lumens is BLAZING. I wrestled with this for months before I got to use a .25 lumen. .25 lumens is perfect for around the house at nite to not disturb others. I didn't believe it til I tried it and my eyes are gettin' on to boot.

Now I wonder about .04 lumens. I can't believe it would be enough.

I should imagine .04 lumen would be about equivalent to the greenish glow from my older flip-phones little display, coz .25 lumens is WAYYYY brighter than that flip-phones display.

I have a 0.07 lumen mode on my HDS EDC and it is bit too bright sometimes with fully dark adapted eyes (getting up in the middle of the night). Since the HDS EDC allows for four modes to be programmed from 0.07 to 100 on my light, I actually use 0.07, 1.1, 25, and 100. :)

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like having a low of no more than 3 lumens and it's nice to have the .2 option as well. However, some of the uses IMO are a bit exaggerated. It may be fun/nice/convenient to have .2 or lower but for the most part if that's enough light to go to the bathroom and you could probably go to the bathroom without a light.

I like flashlights but I don't actually need/use one to get to the bathroom at night. If you don't want to wake someone up it is also possible to just not turn the light on until you are a few feet away. I'm sure most people can get out of bed without a flashlight.

Last edited:

GaAslamp

Enlightened
some of the uses IMO are a bit exaggerated. It may be fun/nice/convenient to have .2 or lower but for the most part if that's enough light to go to the bathroom and you could probably go to the bathroom without a light.

I have to disagree because the interior of my house (some parts) gets pitch-black at night, and the 0.3-lumen mode of my EDC flashlight helps me see well enough to perform a wide variety of tasks, when I would be completely blind without it. This level of output is only useless when there is enough ambient light to see by anyway, as you alluded to, but in general the darker it is, the less light you need, and under such conditions 0.3 or even less than 0.2 lumens can be extremely useful, and 3 whole lumens :eek:oo: bounced off the ceiling can illuminate a large room well enough to walk around in with no effort.

I like flashlights but I don't actually need/use one to get to the bathroom at night. If you don't want to wake someone up it is also possible to just not turn the light on until you are a few feet away. I'm sure most people can get out of bed without a flashlight.

Try this in my house, and you might hurt yourself (since you aren't familiar with the layout)--you'd have to shuffle your feet and feel around with your hands. I've put small EL panels in the hallway and some rooms for minimal navigational lighting, but the rest of the house is still extremely dark--my eyes are very light-sensitive (both inherently and through decades of practicing amateur astronomy), but I still can't see a thing (no photons, no vision). I could turn on a house light if I needed to do something, but why should I do that when 0.3 lumens out of a flashlight works fine and won't hurt my eyes? House lights are for when nobody in the house is dark-adapted yet and the ambient light is too low for people to see easily.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
As much as I like lights with a very low mode, I don't really need even that most of the time. Bet I'm not the only one with plenty of LED nightlights scattered around their house.

Geoff

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The instruction sheet with the ThruNite Ti says it has a 175 hour runtime in firefly mode. I'm still playing with it too much to take it out of action for a test.

Geoff

That's pretty darn good for a AAA.... esp. if you think it's as reasonably useful as a floody 0.25. Hotspot is a good thing at that level, effectively making it a little more useful by aiming the hotspot where you really need it.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fully NAV vs 5mm of A2
I would say, it wont scorch your eyes unless it was shined at you directly

Shadowww

Banned
Using lowest mode (2 lm) of my JETBeam PA40 quite often when indoors, but when I want to see just everything around me - 468 lumens are just a doubleclick away :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using lowest mode (2 lm) of my JETBeam PA40 quite often when indoors, but when I want to see just everything around me - 468 lumens are just a doubleclick away :)

I have a PA40W and the 2lm mode is great for using with dark adapted eyes. Also I have Quark 123 with 0,2lm. Much dimmer but still useful(hotspot easily reaches more than 10 meters). Actually I would like a ~0,02lm mode. Such a one would still be useful in darkness with dark adapted eyes.
So 3lumens is very useful!

Scottiver

Enlightened
If you find yourself in a situation where 3 lumens or more is too bright in a house, don't point the light at what you want to see, point the light at the ceiling (ceiling bounce) which will result in a nice glow to the whole room without hurting your eyes or disturbing others. I do it every night on the way to and getting ready for bed.