Beta QR quick release V2

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I guess Bill is still comprehensible, if you understand what his only 2 words meant. South Park's Timmy, I think, is derivative, of Bill and Cutter John, but no less brilliant.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) This light has PWM, not necessarily bad. I assume that a)this is done to prevent tint shift (since the tint and high CRI is a HUGE marketing point of this light) and b)the frequency is high enough that it's not a problem. So has anyone noticed the PWM in practice?

2) What are the dimension specs of this light?! I can't find them anywhere. I primarily want length and diameter, not too worried about weight.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
9/16" head diameter, 4" long including v1 QR, 3" long detached. The v2 QR is about 1/2" shorter. I have a picture with a ruler on the first page of this thread.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
9/16" head diameter, 4" long including v1 QR, 3" long detached. The v2 QR is about 1/2" shorter. I have a picture with a ruler on the first page of this thread.
Thanks for those details! I'm pretty much set on a QRv2 Copper w/ clip to replace my iTP A3 EOS XP-G2 which I quite like but I don't find it particularly attractive and the tint is HORRENDOUS.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
ThirstyTurtle, I forgot to answer your first question. I have not noticed any PVM in the 4 that I have.

The copper on mine has developed a nicer patina.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThirstyTurtle, I forgot to answer your first question. I have not noticed any PVM in the 4 that I have.

The copper on mine has developed a nicer patina.
Super! Any pics?

I just ordered a copper w/ clip and I'm thinking hard about an Alpha in the near future...definitely with a shorty tube if he's still doing them.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my copper Beta QRv2 today!

87ae3e0d55b12690f84f55d78ba66f8d.jpg

e4a2e9ecd4b60a53bc964dcebc1637e1.jpg

994ebf92f8d07fef08c07b643f050da9.jpg

First impressions:
1) Smoothest threads I've ever felt when the battery isn't installed. However, when a battery is installed, it's nearly impossible to twist with one hand. Super frustrating, maybe it'll loosen up after a while? The tail spring is WAY too stiff in my opinion.
2) It's absolutely GORGEOUS!
3) It's incredibly heavy for how small it is, makes it feel very fancy and high-quality but still surprised me.
4) The beam pattern and tint is wonderfully gorgeous.
5) It does this very odd thing where if I cycle through the modes very quickly (like two times all the way through), it consistently doesn't turn on after like 6 or 7 twists. It'll be cycling through and then all of a sudden I'll tighten the head and it'll flicker and not turn on no matter how tight.

So far I'm less impressed than I hoped primarily due to the hard-to-turn head and strange mode glitch. Anyways, it's pretty enough and has a pretty enough beam that I think I'll love it after I get used to the hard-to-turn head.

EDIT: After spending an evening with the Beta, I've learned how to switch modes with one hand fairly easily, just had to adjust the way I was holding it to get more leverage on the head. They head MAY have loosened up a bit as well but it's hard to say. Either way, I'm pretty used to it already even though the threads are stiffer than I'd prefer. I really think a slightly shorter spring would've solved this issue as the threads are BUTTER without a cell installed. Are Eneloops longer than other cells? The copper isn't supposed to be run on primaries anyways according to Jason so it might as well be tailored to Eneloops. Additionally, the strange mode glitch hasn't occurred under normal use, only when holding it with two hands and quickly cycling through modes multiple times.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I am glad that you are able to operate the light one handed. I have never experienced the mode glitch you mentioned under normal use. With two hands and fast mode switching, ie playing around I have had a few weird things happen.

How do you like the pocket clip? How do you typically carry the light?

rpm00

Enlightened
Just ordered my second beta. This time EN which will look better on my keychain than the copper I have now. Also ordered a sweet pocket clip so will move the copper to pocket duty.

These lights are just too awesome. By far my favourite AAA. The threads are just so smooth and the beam awesome.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dwg, when you use the QR the new version doesn't rotate easily. It can rotate with force. The spring holds it pretty firmly. In time with repeated removal I envision it would loosen up. Hence why he sells spare springs.
I ordered a clip, and should arrive today or Monday. Let you know for sure then if nobody else chimes in.

"5) It does this very odd thing where if I cycle through the modes very quickly (like two times all the way through), it consistently doesn't turn on after like 6 or 7 twists. It'll be cycling through and then all of a sudden I'll tighten the head and it'll flicker and not turn on no matter how tight."

My brass one does the same. My older versions don't do this. If you go slowly it works just fine. Kinda strange. I cleaned the contacts and it improved just a tad.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Dwg, when you use the QR the new version doesn't rotate easily. It can rotate with force. The spring holds it pretty firmly. In time with repeated removal I envision it would loosen up. Hence why he sells spare springs.
I ordered a clip, and should arrive today or Monday. Let you know for sure then if nobody else chimes in.

Thank you for the info Sir! Definitely interested about what you have to say in regards to the clip and please add some pics!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, got it in the mail and installed. It looks awesome, I will get a pic shortly. I would say MINE rotates much more easily than the keychain stud. It is secured well. It doesn't feel like it is loose or about to come off. No wiggle. But it will spin with a little pressure. But, it doesn't bother me at all.

Hope that helps.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited: