Law enforcement flashlight recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Law Enforcement Light

Nothing wrong with the 1160 MagCharger, except why not have the Tigerlight?

Same size, same amount of light, (More if you can talk js into a run of reflectors and 1111 ring mounted lamps) AND OC spray!!

Bill

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

The discussion about LEO's carrying multiple lights is good to rehash. Most do not pay much attention to this piece of equipment as they should. I invite you to check out my posts over the years. I have been advocating this since I've been posting here. I practice what I preach from experience. Believe me, I have learned the hardway. I have also advocated that the only piece of equipment that you use more than the radio are your lights, especially during night shift.

I learned to carry at least one light on my belt and a larger one in the car. I currently have two on my belt and think that this is the ultimate setup. It is very easy to drop a light, blow a bulb, or need to lend a light to another.

My large lights are the SL-20 and the 10X. My belt lights are Stingers, 8NX's, and a 9P modified (9P with A19 adaptor, two 17670's powering a P91). My current second belt light is an old 6Z with P61. If you distribute the weight around the belt you will not really notice the small amount of extra weight.

When you have to bail out of the car, whatever you have on you is it. There is no time to grap the larger lights from the car and many times when you do bail out you want your hands free.

And don't forget your spares in the trunk and at the Station house. Spare lights, bulbs and batteries. I have exhausted all my rechargables on several nights for various reasons. I also advocate a spare alkaline type light also. You may never use it on a regular basis but is available for long duration events like an earthquake. Mine are a Pelican 4C and and SL Polypro's.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Former LEO chiming in here.
I've really got to agree with what bwaites said back in post #31.

"back when" my priorities were...
-Reliability/durability: It needs to work, PERIOD!
-power: It needs to be bright enough to get the job done.
-portability: It needs to be small enough to keep with me. Getting out on foot and saying "damn, I have to go back to the car for my <fill in name here>" really sucks!

and a distant fourth was easily repairable/replacable, because when it does finally get damaged you don't want to be without the tool you are familiar with.

We had Maglite and MagChargers and that was it so we got used to the bulk (later Streamlights gained popularity. They were lighter but not any smaller at the time).

If I were to outfit myself from today's available selection I think I would choose...

Primary Light (full blast powerhouse).
Wolf-Eyes Rattlesnake M90-13V Rechargeable (non-rechargables just get too damn expensive). I would especially choose this now that they updated the charging system.

Secondary Light (Variable/multifunction light).
Night-Ops Gladius (multi-level and LED means this light fills a lot of different roles and it won't leave you in the dark as a backup light).

Tertiary Light (for whatever)
Inova X1 kept in pocket "just because".

Yes I know I just listed $300 in lights but the things I NEVER skimped on as a cop were my vest, my sidearm, my cuffs, and my lights!

(EDIT: I think I'd also have one of those 1+ million candlepower lights in the cruiser too just in case).

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Once again I will stand up for our Barbolight U-04.

As bright as a 6P, Li-ION, car and wal charger, 2,5 Hours runtime, and with a original and highly visible reflective beacon-traffic wand.

pirulooffpg6.jpg
piruloonpl1.jpg

This traffic wand is way more visible than the regular cones. We have measured five times with photometer against regular rigid cones.

Only one tactical light that will stand a 30 ft drop over concrete floor, -200 m. underwater, built and designed in a way that you can use it as a Kubotan, or even break car windows... Mil. Std. 8625 HAIII, certified.

gamagi0.jpg

It is being used by a lot of police officers in Spain and France.

There are also available remote switches for long arm, rifle mounts, and it includes a high quality belt holder...

Just do a search on this website to read opinions.

If you need something even brighter you can have the U-15, using same rechargeable batteries and chargers, same remote switches and mounts.

Javier

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Javier,
Not to nitpick but do you have a page in English?

I can do a little French, a little German, and a little bit of Russian but I have no Spanish :(

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

zespectre said:
Javier,
Not to nitpick but do you have a page in English?

I can do a little French, a little German, and a little bit of Russian but I have no Spanish :(

It is our fault... We are redoing completely our website with english pages. Meanwhile feel fre toask any info.

javier

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Barbarin said:
Once again I will stand up for our Barbolight U-04......
Barbarin said:

I enjoyed seeing the "Experienced" posting in this thread; too often Law Enforcement is second-guessed by both detractors and supporters and critiques and suggestions are often far from correct. It is impossible for the uninitiated to have any grasp of what actually happens on the street.

In theory the Barbolights look like they could be useful in law enforcement patrol use. I believe soon a couple of folks I know will test that assumption for themselves. Good to hear they are used by European police.

I recently provided the information for the Barbolights Group buy on CPF to several acquaintances, Javier. Before this thread landed on the forum we have been looking at the robust well-designed lights of yours. We were also impressed with the light output. I know one Barbolight is going diving and will also be used doing duty in a government anti-terrorism inspection program in aviation. Another is looking at a U-15 for everyday patrol with no intentions of diving at all. It is a pleasure to respond to your post and meet you on CPF. Although the price of a Barbolight is significant we recognize that it is justified for the quality we will soon enjoy. Thank you for putting up an English version of your site.

evdherberg

Newly Enlightened

Barbarin said:
It is our fault... We are redoing completely our website with english pages. Meanwhile feel fre toask any info.

Javier, good to hear! My spanish is a bit rusty as well ;-)

For the moment you could have a look at our site http://www.barbolight.nl/en/barbolight.html or try customdivers in uk

Currently only U09 is described in English on our website but U04 and U15 will follow soon.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened

onlinewarlord said:
Smaller and brighter than the Ultrastinger.?.. That's a tough one.

Forget all these suggestions about $200 led lights. NONE of them will even come remotely close to producing the amount of light you will want. HID lights require warm-up times and do not provide instant ON light. So for LEO work they're out.

Magcharger with WA1160 bulb is a fantastic primary duty light. It's a better built, and brighter light than the Ultrastinger, but it is slightly larger. Ultrastinger is a decent light and if you're happy with it then stick with it as your primary light because you're not going to find *much better.

As for rechargeable backup lights... Any Surefire G2/C2 or 6P paired with G&P G90 Bulb + DSD R123 800 mAh kit from lighthound makes for a very impressive backup light. The Streamlight Strion is another decent option.

I disagree on a few accounts here:
1. I find LED's are VERY useful for LE use. I have since retired my SF L4, but that was my favorite. Now I use a Gladius Night Ops...sure they don't throw far, but for close in work they are better than halogen. Let me just clarify that I would not use JUST a LED though...and I have two other lights I use (M3CB and SL Ultra Stinger) And, my Kroma Milspec has seen some duty, albeit light duty use. The combination of the LED's had lent themself to specific needs at the time.
2. I don't think the Mag is brighter or better built than my US. Several old school guys who thought the US was not manly enough have since switched b/c my US is brighter, and has withstood ten times the abuse their Mags have. I find that the size of the US is also more convenient for daily use. I don't get that the "more mass" thing is better with the Mag. Why to hit someone? I can guarantee my US would split someone just as easy as a Mag.

Sure rechargeables rein king for patrol use, but to discount CR123's is silly. They are more than affordable in bulk now, and most "better" lights run on them.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened

Just wanted to add a few things:

Every LEO who works the night shift definately should have redundancy in lights...as stated. Here is another example of why I am the "flashlight guy" at work, and it is not a bad title to have. I can't even count how many guys who do not use the redundancy method have had to borrow one of my lights b/c their's either didn't work, or they forgot it (inexcusable in my opinion).

Just to clarify I carry on my duty belt: Gladius Night Ops (newest edition replacing my SF L4 which needed a break), SF M3CB. In cruiser, or in jack pocket: SL UltraStinger....and needless to say others at my disposal when needed.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Umm... so are medical disability retirements due to back related injuries and illnesses manly?

Agree with the more mass argument as well. If you kill someone by using an UltraStinger as an impact weapon, are you going to be in less trouble than if you had used a Mag. I'm pretty sure that in most departments, one would be in much less of the proverbial pickle if the use of lethal force were justified and the impact weapon used were a baton of some sort. Besides, scratches and dings don't show up as much on a PR24 if you use it to break a car window than using an aluminum flashlight (also easier with the PR 24 :) ).

RemingtonBPD said:
Several old school guys who thought the US was not manly enough have since switched b/c my US is brighter, and has withstood ten times the abuse their Mags have. I find that the size of the US is also more convenient for daily use. I don't get that the "more mass" thing is better with the Mag. Why to hit someone? I can guarantee my US would split someone just as easy as a Mag.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

RemingtonBPD said:
I disagree on a few accounts here:
RemingtonBPD said:
1. I find LED's are VERY useful for LE use. I have since retired my SF L4, but that was my favorite. Now I use a Gladius Night Ops...sure they don't throw far, but for close in work they are better than halogen. Let me just clarify that I would not use JUST a LED though...and I have two other lights I use (M3CB and SL Ultra Stinger) And, my Kroma Milspec has seen some duty, albeit light duty use. The combination of the LED's had lent themself to specific needs at the time.

2. I don't think the Mag is brighter or better built than my US. Several old school guys who thought the US was not manly enough have since switched b/c my US is brighter, and has withstood ten times the abuse their Mags have. I find that the size of the US is also more convenient for daily use. I don't get that the "more mass" thing is better with the Mag. Why to hit someone? I can guarantee my US would split someone just as easy as a Mag.

Sure rechargeables rein king for patrol use, but to discount CR123's is silly. They are more than affordable in bulk now, and most "better" lights run on them.

Amen, I so fully agree with you. I think my posts of #11 and #56 express I am writing from many long years of experience, not speculation. It also indicates that I value the field test report as oppose to the theoretical best light discussion. I am seeing a great trend of LEDs replacing the small Streamlights and as I said the Golston is received very well. I do not believe I have seen anything in this thread that considers what an officer goes through once boredom changes to shear terror. Those changes greatly affect what you need in a light, what you do with a light and what really happens with your light.

I do not wish to offend anyone contributing to a great thread, opinion and ideas are what cause changes for the good. But I have been offended. By no means do I direct this next comment to anybody who has posted here, and I invite those who have posted that we consider that I am commenting a trend gleaned from many sources. I read posts that state generally LEO professionals do not think enough about equipment or act carelessly not regarding illumination needs and statements that identify the absolute cause of mistakes in the night. No one hear knows what I am thinking, or what my subordinates or brothers and sisters are thinking or what I am using, limited to using or why I make mistakes. Generalities and absolutes are stereotyping and are offensive. By the way I loathe donuts. There are problems but those are specific and not generalities and I detest lump sum comments from those not having walked a day in my shoes.

s23246g

Newly Enlightened

Ironhog81 said:
The problem with weapon mounted lights is "searching with the muzzle".
Bad problems as most shootings are in low light and the majority of shootings that are "mistakes" happen then. Cell phone mistaked for gun, etc.

huh2.gif

Granted, I have been off the job for a couple of years now, but I was trained to ALWAYS search with the muzzle. Why would you have the gun out and pointed in a direction that you couldn't see? Sounds like maybe you were on the job a long time ago. No disrespect intended, but that makes no sense. And, the way to keep accidents from happening is by using the universal cover mode... keeping your finger outside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot. I did a lot of building searches, and a lot of drug raids, and NEVER shot anyone who didn't need shot.

As far as the initial posters inquiry, I'd suggest a full sized polymer streamlight on a charger in the car (it's lite and brite) and a streamlight stinger or strion for the belt. I carried the polystinger for many years with no problems, and now that I'm out I have a strion. I would definitely have replaced the polystinger with the strion if I were still on the job. It has almost the same output (I can't tell the difference myself), and is much smaller. being a former LEO, I can't believe that some of you guys can afford to carry lights that use the 123a batteries. Rechargeable is the way to go if you're on a budget.

My2cents

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thought of something. If you can get some rechargeable 123's to use in a SureFire 9PT (9P or C3 or whatever the latest varient is with the Turbohead) or the M3T, that would probably work great. My 9PT throws almost as far as my MagCharger. Tighter beam with less sidespill, but still a large enough hotspot at a 100 meters.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened

s23246g said:
. being a former LEO, I can't believe that some of you guys can afford to carry lights that use the 123a batteries. Rechargeable is the way to go if you're on a budget.

My2cents

I get this "123s are so expensive" from guys alot at work...here is my response:

The cost have come down substantially now that a proportinate number of lights require them now...i.e: Surefire, Galdius, some Streamlights...etc.

Why should I settle on an inferior light b/c the batteries are expensive?....my life depends on training, and quality light is needed in my working environment...and if you really want to get technical...they are a tax right off as they are required for work duties.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened

I'm a reserve with my local PD, and carry a Gladius always and an Ultrastinger at night. During the day the US is in my duty bag. I really like the Gladius, not so much for the strobe, but for the variable light output. The UltraStinger throws well, but I don't have any other comparable lights to size it up against. Oh, well...

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

RemingtonBPD said:
Why should I settle on an inferior light b/c the batteries are expensive?....my life depends on training, and quality light is needed in my working environment...and if you really want to get technical...they are a tax right off as they are required for work duties.

IMHO a quality protected Li-ION does not make a light inferior.

Its very low self discharge, performance on extreme temperatures, no memory effect, energy density... Makes them impresive batteries. Of course, a lithium primary battery is better to keep for emergency equipment, but for a daily use light, when being enviromental friendly and cost effective is on the balance, I think Li-ION are a very, very good choice.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened

Well, back in the day when I worked uniform patrol I used to carry a 4 c mag light. This was because it was a small enough diameter to fit in the side handle baton ring. The backup was a mini mag light.

When Surefires came out I ditched the mini mag light and put a 6p on my belt. I still kept the 4 c mag because 123 batteries were very expensive back then. When Surefire came out with the rechargeable (8n?) I bought that and ditched the 4 c mag light.

Today there are so many good light choices. If I had to go back to uniform I would probably carry a Gladius on my belt, my Arc AAA on my keychain, maybe a T4 also, and some kind of HID.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened

I participated in js' recent Tigerlight pass-around and liked the lights output, but the size was wrong for me; it DID fit in a C or D size belt-loop ring. For a large incandescent light that recharges on a charging hook, I would recommend it over the Magcharger or Ultrastinger.

I usually carry these on my duty belt:
- Pila GL3: old style, similar to the Wolf-Eyes, with the white/blue LED tail-cap. I added the 200 lumen lamp assembly, and use either 3 RCR123A 3.0 volt protected regulated li-ion cells or 2 x 18500 3.7 v protected li-ion cells;
- LED Logic Striker VG: I use the RCR123A cells sold by LED Logic

The GL3 is being tested by another LEO/PO elsewhere in Canada, who will be sending it back to me soon. I also loan out the VG to other LEO/PO for evaluation. I really like both, but I would even recommend going with the 12 v versions of the Pila or Wolf-Eyes for incandescent. If you want a dimmable, strobeable, high-powered LED, and can afford it, you could go with the Gladius, which I have tested, and liked - I have one, but do not use it, as it is awaiting further deployment.

I have a tool box that I carry in the trunk of my patrol car with my back-ups:
- 1 no-name, rechargeable, 1 million CP searchlight;
- 1 MXDL 3 AAA 3 watt LED: switch is wonky;
- 3 Dorcy 2 D 9" LED traffic wands: for traffic control;
- 1 Mag 2 C: modified with a borofloat lens, heavy stipple finished cammless aluminum reflector, either a KRP118, KPR120, KPR144 or other high-powered bulb, and either 3 RCR123A 3.6 v or 2 x 18500 cells;
- 1 Mag 3 C: with DB-3w LED module;
- 1 Mag 3 C: with DB-K2 LED module.

I have over 30 years of uniformed general duty policing experience, have worked in rural areas, towns of less than 1000 population, cities of less than 20,000 population and popular summer tourist points, and have mostly worked nights. I have always wanted better hand-held lighting tools, but only ever knew Maglite, Streamlight and Pelican products until I found CPF.

When I WAS using a big light (Mag 3 D, Kel-Lite 4 D, cheapy plastic Radio Shack 5 D) or using the light issued to my patrol car (Polystinger) I would shove it under my butt so I could grab it as I bailed out to contact "clients".

deputyman, if you want a Tigerlight, look at this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1568271#post1568271

If you want to go with a Gladius, check out:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/131336
or
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/113146

Keep checking out the Lights - Sell and Trade threads for deals.

Last edited:

ohiocopper

Newly Enlightened

RemingtonBPD said:
I get this "123s are so expensive" from guys alot at work...here is my response:

The cost have come down substantially now that a proportinate number of lights require them now...i.e: Surefire, Galdius, some Streamlights...etc.

AMEN!
Well said.
You can got those cells for around a buck each anymore.
But even at $12.00 for two 123 cells I agree, you have to have them.
And yes I have paid as much as $12.00 for two cr123 cells, sure I was not happy about the price, but the reciept went in the tax box and the cells went into the light and I went work confident knowing that my "little light that could" would not let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts