Law enforcement flashlight recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Law Enforcement Light

The need/choice of a light is largely dependent upon it's usage. Also do bear in mind that a rechargeable may cost you 2-3 times as much as a battery powered counterpart. For someone working days primarily, the battery powered light may very well be more cost effective and require less attention (replace the battery when the light starts to dim.) Whereas someone working evenings/nights who may have a need for a light with more output and can amortize the cost delta for the rechargeable light, a rechargeable may make more sense.

Personally, I preferred the Stinger because it had more light output in addition to being rechargeable. But these days, a CR123 light is more convenient and the need for the range of the Stinger is not needed.

s23246g said:
I can't believe that some of you guys can afford to carry lights that use the 123a batteries. Rechargeable is the way to go if you're on a budget.

My2cents

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those batteries will not work in the high intensity incandescent lights, the draw from those lamps (1.3A) is just at the point where the battery shuts off.

BTW, not that I have anything against Matt, but if you're considering ordering any Tenergy branded stuff, do bear in mind that they are local to you, and you can will-call your purchase from them. There isn't a need to order it from the other side of the country.

TigerhawkT3 said:
You could always try the RCR123A 3.7V or 3V cell/charger combos available at batteryjunction/shorelinemarket. It's about $30 for the charger and four cells.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

:ohgeez:

Oh well. The order only took a few days to arrive, anyway.

I'm not planning on using them in an incan, but I'm hoping that they'll work in my soon-to-arrive Gladius. I've heard they're good for LED lights - would you agree?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, they do seem to work okay in the LED lights that I've tried them in, both in single battery lights like the Dorcy or Q-3, and in mulitple battery lights like the Pelican 2370.

Tenergy has a web site called all-battery.com, they're on Kifer just down the street from Costco.

TigerhawkT3 said:

I'm not planning on using them in an incan, but I'm hoping that they'll work in my soon-to-arrive Gladius. I've heard they're good for LED lights - would you agree?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

TigerhawkT3 said:

Hello TigerhawkT3:)

When you will put 2xRCR123 3,7V LiIons in your Gladius, you will fry your led/driver.
If I remember right, people got the same problems with the 3,0V versions (up to 3,7V out of the charger).
One 17670 should work, but with flickering all few seconds (low batterie warning).

To go sure, post a question thread.

Best regards

____
Tom

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kifer? That's a block a way from Arques (Fry's...). That's, like, "right there."

My charged 3Vs range from 3.6V-4V. These cells supposedly go down in voltage by a few tenths of a volt when under load. Would running the cells in a P1 for a few minutes decrease the voltage to a safe level?

That's a good suggestion on a new thread, Long John. I think I might do that.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well ... Fry's was originally on Kern off of Lawrence but that was the very first store and (gosh! it's been that long!?) may have been before you were born.

Those batteries drop to 3.2V under load within a fraction of a second, without a load you should get a reading of about 3.6-3.7V. If you read the voltage with a VOM or DMM, you'll get 3.6-3.7V regardless of whether the battery has been used or not.

TigerhawkT3 said:
Kifer? That's a block a way from Arques (Fry's...). That's, like, "right there."

My charged 3Vs range from 3.6V-4V. These cells supposedly go down in voltage by a few tenths of a volt when under load. Would running the cells in a P1 for a few minutes decrease the voltage to a safe level?

That's a good suggestion on a new thread, Long John. I think I might do that.

ReQie

Newly Enlightened
Best flashlight Law Enforcement?

Hello everyone,

I work in Law Enforcement in Belgium and we are looking for the Flashlights that mix excellent quality with a good price. The meaning is to supply all of our men with excellent flashlights.

Can someone of you geniuses tell me which ones are top notch?

Max 250 dollar each.

I've read about the Surefire M3 Combat Light. Looks very good, but maybe overpriced? Ive read the thread bout Surefire being overpriced and I saw lots of different opinions.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thank you in advance

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: Best flashlight Law Enforcement?

check out Wolf-Eyes offerings if you are looking for tactical style lights at a more reasonable price.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

TigerLight is a fantastic light. I use a FBOP model on duty myself. But either version should be fantastic for duty use. The pepper spray version would be a plus if its allowed in your country.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic

You should go with Pila lights. The GL3 model is an outstanding value. I know several LEO's here carry those on duty and like them a lot. I have 2 and couldn't be happier. They have the advantage of being able to use primary batteries, or rechargeables. They also have a traditional clicky switch, or you can use optional LED tailcaps for when you don't need the full incandescent beam (which is very bright).

The best dealer for Pila products is JonSidneyB (www.jsburlysflashlights.com).

Last edited:

tick398

Newly Enlightened

As a LEO with 15 years of street and tactical work, I cannot in good conscience steer you away from Surefire. I have owned at least a dozen Surefires and my current inventory includes the x200 on my Glock, the M6 in my Tac bag and the L5,E2D and G2 stashed in other spots or on my belt.

Whenever I have had a problem, which included a broken Pyrex lens from an extreme impact and a broken clip on another light...these problems were fixed without a question.

My experience is no different than any other member on my team, and almost everyone carries a Surefire.

I would recommend the L5 or similar LED type Surefire light as a department purchase as they take an amazing amount of abuse and will not cause any issues with replacement bulbs. Cops are always dropping or jarring their lights when they are extremely hot and I have purchased several replacement bulbs from just such instances.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but take a long hard look at the Surefires before moving on.

Stay Safe!

Dan_GSR

Enlightened

if it were for myself
id have two lights
1 that is rechargeable, as i would probably be using the light a lot
and one that is high power on cr123 batteries....just in case i need more lumens, or the primary light dies when i really need it and don't have time to change out batteries

bones_708

Enlightened

I'm a surefire guy myself and think they are great. That being said if I were buying for a department I think I would have to go with streamlight. You were looking at the M3 so I will assume you want a smaller light and the stinger fits the bill. In light charging, because let's face it while it's no problem to switch batteries for most people Ive yet to see a department with at least a few who would screw even that simple task up. If you get some of these other lights you'll end up with people losing tail caps, heads, chargers, screwing up batteries, ect. The stingers a good, bright light, and much more idiot proof than any of the other options.

Buffalohump

Enlightened

Wolf Eyes 9DX. It's reasonably priced, very powerful, can be used with primaries or rechargeable batteries, and in a tight spot, you can belt someone across the noggin with it.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello ReQie and welcome to CPF:)

These days are many good lights available. Please give us a bit more informations, which kind of light you are looking for. Incan or Led, different brightness levels or only one, which kind of cells, rechargeable or primaries, which size of the light?

Best regards

____
Tom

RadarGreg

Enlightened

I know several LEOs that like the Gladius. It might be out of your price range though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts