Law enforcement flashlight recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

defusion

Enlightened
Re: Best flashlight for law enforcement?

Outdoors Fanatic said:
You could also get a G3 for around 49 bucks and use two 17500 li-ion batteries. This is a great duty light with a powerful lamp, good runtime and free lumens due to the rechargeable batteries. This is a very cost-effective solution.
Or any of the other P90 lights, if you don't want a plastic body. A 9P, C3. An M3 is also worth considering.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened

Here are mine:
- Goncz E3: 1 18650 2200 mAh 3.7 volt cell;
- Goncz M3: 3 Li-Ion 16340 750mAh 3.7 volt cells;
- LED Logic Striker VG: 2 Powerizer orange and white RCR123A 680 mAh 3.0 volt cells;
- Maglite 2 C: with potted Carley 809 bulb and 3 Powerizer blue and white RCR123A 650 mAh 3.6 volt cells;
- Maglite 2 C: with KPR118 7.2 volt krypton bulb, MOP Cammed reflector and 2 LIR18500 1300 mAh 3.6 volt cells;
- Maglite 3 C ROP LE: with Borofloat lens, HS camless reflector, Pelican 3854 high-output bulb and 2 AW 18650 2200 mAh 3.7 volt cells;
- Pila GL3: with Lumens Factory EO-9 380 lumens lamp assembly, 2 Pila 300P 1400 mAh 3.7 volt cells and Wolf-Eyes 9 volt true clicky tail-cap;
- Wolf-Eyes M90X: 4 Powerizer blue and white RCR123A 680 mAh 3.0 volt cells and true clicky tail-cap.

The Striker and GL3 are my always-on-the-duty-belt lights, and the rest I carry with me in a tool box. Currently I only have the M90X and 3 modded Mags, due to the rest being loaned out for testing.

I gave my son a Night-Ops Gladius and 4 e-lectronics.net RCR123A 3.0 volt ic cells and a charger with AC & DC cords. The Gladius is his a-o-t-d-b light, with the extra cells wrapped up and carried in his pocket. He was issued a Mag 3 D, so I gave him a diamond-led module for it, and that is his back-up and traffic control light.

I have tested a Tigerlight FBOP, and liked the output, but the diameter of the body was larger than I prefer. I have tried a Mag 4 C with 18.0 volt bulb and 6 RCR123A 3.7 volt cells, but the output was not that exciting and the light was uncomfortably long.

FYI, I have over 31 years of field experience, all of it in uniformed general duty and traffic investigations, most of it scheduled between 16:00 & 08:00, plus "on-call". I wondered about tail-cap switches when I first saw them in 2000, but I like them now.

Last edited:

gordolights

Newly Enlightened

I'm amazed at what some people on this list are carrying, no one in my department has progressed beyond their stock Magchargers, but I have turned them all on to the CPF. I carry a Stinger LED (got rid of my pathetic Polystinger finally) in a belt holster, a Scorpion in an open loop-type carrier on the other side and a UltraStinger in the car. I also have a Fenix P3D in my shirt pocket now (as of last weekend). Oh, and both my 870 and AR have Surefires mounted. As far as a pistol shooting method, I am experimenting, our academy only taught light-enhanced shooting with the maglites. I really like the way the Stinger LED feels.

Gordo

mdocod

Flashaholic

I would run a MN11 in a M3 bezel on a 2x18650 leefbody for LEO work. It's a little bigger, but has the oomf.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

This question is asked on a steady basis. I'll close this one, and it can be continued in one of the other threads.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Re: Looking for a decent Law- enforcement light

Fivemegas 3 cell adapter. OMG this is by far my favorite light. It will out throw any of the other lights I have. It is rated at 750 bulb lumens. Earlier tonight a demoralized a friend from another dept. He was using an Ultrastinger. I lit up my modded stinger and blew his light away. It will run about an hour (the same as the 2 cell adapter). It is smaller diameter than any of the full size lights (easier to hold, especially with a gun in the other hand) This is about the same lenght as the mag or SL20 but is a LOT lighter.

What is this fivemegas light?

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work am a LEO and carry several different lights, I have a SF C3 with the BUG 150 lumen Cree drop-in module in my cargo pocket. Wolf-Eyes 9DX Raider w Li-Ion batteries on my belt. In my patrol bag is a Tiger Light FBOP w modded reflector and WA1111 potted bulbs, SL 20X with a custom 7.2 volt battery pack, modded reflector and potted WA1111 bulbs, SF M3 w Seoul drop-in module.

g8trwood

Newly Enlightened
Stinger in belt, magcharger in car mounted to dash by my left knee. I grab it when I jump out. I have two magchargers that are 20+ years and have never given me any problems. I have a bulb upgrade in one, fantastic. We purchased the sl20 for a few years, but too many switch problems. No problems with the stinger though. I don't have any experience with the ultra stinger. Also look at how the light fits and swings on your belt and does it stay in its holder and or ring.

The compact lights are great, but when you are searching a big warehouse or woods on mids, the bigger lights and their greater reach and spill are very compforting.

Last edited:

3mw

Newly Enlightened

You could also get a G3 for around 49 bucks and use two 17500 li-ion batteries. This is a great duty light with a powerful lamp, good runtime and free lumens due to the rechargeable batteries. This is a very cost-effective solution.

Could you please tell me where I could find a G3 for $49? Thanks.

jernan001

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for a decent Law- enforcement light

What is this fivemegas light?
Fivemega is one of the guys on the great forum. Just do a search for fivemega under threads started and you will get to know him & the quality products he produces.:candle: don't be surprised that this occurs :paypal: immediately after reading a few threads.

KEW

Newly Enlightened
I have carried and used many lights over the last 24 years in law enforcement, and currently have well over 100 lights. If I had to choose just one it would be the Streamlight SL-20. There are thousands of them being used just in the Houston area. They prove themselves day after day on the street, and Streamlight stands behind them. There is no single better light available for a uniform street cop.

3mw

Newly Enlightened

As a CPF member we have 30% discount off flashlights and tactical gear at: http://www.tacticalsupply.com/

The G3 costs 59$ before the discount..

I read a post that these guys are going out of business...maybe already. Has anybody ordered from them recently with good results? If they are still in business, do I need a CPF discount code or do I call an ask for a certain individual? Thanks

Last edited:

Optik49

Enlightened
Re: Law Enforcement Light

Is that a Welch Allyn 1120 Bi-pin Bulb? 3 times as bright not a bad $6.00 drop in! Is there anything you need to do or is it just a bulb change? What does that change the run time to?

MagLite MagCharger with a WA 1160 bulb and in car charger. Very east to do and very very rugged. 3 times as bright as stock:

DSCN3771.JPG

Veovius

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a good duty-belt spotlight

Hi, there's probably a review somewhere or an article that says exactly what I want, but "Search" didn't bring it up, and there's just simply way too much material to sort through here....

I'm looking for a good, compact spotlight to fit on my duty belt. The current issue flashlights for us are Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA LEDs, which are great for close-range light and general stuff, but horrible at range. I had an Inova T3, which I got for Xmas, but I think I lost it between my house, my car and my belt (I really need more lights). Anyways, can anyone recommend a good long-distance light with a good spot like the T3, preferably brighter as well? Run-time isn't a huge issue for me, as long as I can make it through a few shifts without having to replace the batteries. And really, it's usually only on for a few seconds at a time anyways.

Thanks!

Veovius

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for a good duty-belt spotlight

Not really too sure. I'd definitely expect to spend over $100, maybe say $200 as an upper limit. I"m flexible though, if the light is really that great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.