Law enforcement flashlight recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for a good duty-belt spotlight

My recommendation is going to be the Pelican 7060 LAPD (preview here). You will have to wait about a month before it comes out. Depending on where you get it, $99-$150.

city cop

Newly Enlightened

Remember a LED beam will not cut through fog like a incandescent beam will. Depending on you intent for the light, mostly outside duties or traffic stops, I'd say incandescent. Swat, again incandescent no rechargable! For your average duties and if you have room on your belt the Inova T4 is great. It's not as bright as some but I'd have that straped to my belt before the others. I also carry my personal fav! the Surefire M3.

Samuel

Enlightened

Hi, there's probably a review somewhere or an article that says exactly what I want, but "Search" didn't bring it up, and there's just simply way too much material to sort through here....

I'm looking for a good, compact spotlight to fit on my duty belt. The current issue flashlights for us are Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA LEDs, which are great for close-range light and general stuff, but horrible at range. I had an Inova T3, which I got for Xmas, but I think I lost it between my house, my car and my belt (I really need more lights). Anyways, can anyone recommend a good long-distance light with a good spot like the T3, preferably brighter as well? Run-time isn't a huge issue for me, as long as I can make it through a few shifts without having to replace the batteries. And really, it's usually only on for a few seconds at a time anyways.

Thanks!

You said "duty belt" - are you in LE? "compact", "long-distance", "good spot", etc are relative terms. What is the largest flashlight that you would still consider "compact"? What do you consider "long-distance" (and what will you be using this light for)? Re "good spot", what kind of throw/spill are you looking for? Do you want rechargeables or non? ETC!

I carry an Ultrastinger as my primary; a SEOULed Gladius as a back up; an MRV in my front seat emergency bag; and a Sam's Club HID in the trunk (along with a spare Ultrastinger and extra US and CR123 batteries).

lightplay22

Enlightened

If you are looking for rechargeable, the ultra stinger definately throws and is light weight. It is long but that is not a problem as long as you are standing up.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think (argueably) that you can wrong with the widely accepted StreamLight Stinger. There were times when a battery would go down, and someone usually had a spare. Then there is the factor of being familiar with a borrowed or loaned piece of equipment.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

Hi, there's probably a review somewhere or an article that says exactly what I want, but "Search" didn't bring it up, and there's just simply way too much material to sort through here....
Welcome!

Ya just gotta learn the jargon. Most folks here use "throw" for the distance a flashlight well, "throws" and "flood" for the close-in performance. In the same way, the "spot" is the center of the beam, and the "spill" is everything else.

Here's a search for best throw incandescent. Here is one for great throw, in the last 3 months.

For what it's worth, here is a post with common abbreviations. I haven't found a "jargon" post, but I'm sure if there is one, someone will chime in.
PS - Thanks for asking the question - I'm trying to talk myself into a $100 light, and looking for a good throw.

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened

If you want small and on a budget, i've found that a surefire 6P/G6 w/ some of the new cree drop-in modules has some serious throw, i can spot a building 2 blocks down my street. And using B/S/T you could get one for ~$50.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are looking for a light that works at distances around and over 100 meters I'd recommend LumaPower MRV or Tiablo A8. They seem to be high quality and are the most powerful production led throwers I have seen so far. The MRV is $140 and the Tiablo A8 is $95. They can be found @ CPF MarketPlace, Manufacturers corner. There are also reviews on CPF.
Stefan

handd

Newly Enlightened
Advice for a bike cop.

Looking for some advice for a primary light for my duty belt. Price between $20-$50. I think I prefer the 18650 batteries (but flexible). The light should be somewhat compact as I am biking. Switch can be forward or reverse. I'm open to single or multi stage lights. Like everyone else, I want the brightest light possible. Ones that I am currently thinking of UF C2, UF U2 clone, EYJ 3W. Suggestions or comments please.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Re: Advice for a bike cop.

the U2 clone i think is the brightest with something like 1200mah drive to the led the only problem is that it is over cree factory spec that may cause the light to fail you may be better off getting a SF G2 with a cree or seoul drop-in this would not break your $$ limit

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want something that is easy to carry, is super bright, and throws very well....I would suggest the Fenix P3D CE. I have one, and it is my belt loop edc. It takes two very common and easy to get cr123a's. Also has great run times (Low 9 lumens = 65hrs)(Med 40 lumens = 13hrs)(High 90 lumens = 5hrs)(Turbo 160 lumens = 2hrs). It's a little higher than your budget at $61.50, but well worth it with free shipping. It comes with a holster, lanyard, extra o-rings, and rubber tailcap. David at www.fenixstore.com is a super guy to buy from also. Good service and fast shipping. I would highly recommend the Fenix P3D CE.

Welcome to CPF. And thank you for protecting our community.

Last edited:

tedjanxt

Enlightened

+1 on the P3DCE

However, I have come to the conclusion that Fenix holsters suck.

I use an original 2AA maglite holster for mine, start with a new one and it molds itself to the Fenix like Kydex. I can do handstands and it wont budge, unlike the OEM holster.

my $.02

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Howdy handd, and welcome to CPF,
I'd spend some time looking around the forum, and reading for a week or so before making any decisions. There are LOTS of good lights that will work for what you want, so take your time, and you will find the right one for you.

We have quite a few officers on CPF, and I'm sure they will chime in to help you find the right light.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

handd, in your position, I would increase your budget.
It could be possible, that you'll have to trust your life to your light.
The cheaper the light the higher the chance to get an unreliable crap of light.

Best regards

____
Tom

greenLED

Flashaholic

Welcome to CPF, handd. I see the bike patrol officers around here using Streamlight Strions. It's not LED, but it's bright, small, and rechargeable.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Strion and it is great and lightweight. Easy to recharge and no fiddling with taking the batteries out to recharge, just put it on the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.