Malkoff AAA Flashlight? Now with poll.

Would you buy an AAA Malkoff light?

• Yes, regardless of options.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes, with qualifiers. I'm a Flashaholic, after all...

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff AAA Flashlight?

DILLY DILLY!!
Obviously everyone won't be happy with whatever ends up happening, but I'd love to see a Malkoff take on the ARC AAA\ Fenix E01 as well. I've tried the ARC twice but favor the E01 look and form factor, probably because that's what I cut my teeth on. If Gene calls and asks for my input I'm gonna tell him single mode twisty, knurled body, long runtime, and lowish output.
My most used light is the ARC AAA on my keychain. Very sturdy, bare minimum form factor, long run times, minimum usable light output... would LOVE to see Gene do his version of that.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the perfect light, that would be very Malkoff ish, would be basically the size of the Lumintop Tool(one with clicky switch) but shaped exactly like a MD2 with Tricap tail and with the same high/low tail cap UI. So, tail cap tight high/tail cap loose low with a standard mini forward clicky like the Tool but shaped like the tricap. Give it the same 4000K 90CRI 219B used in the Illumn modules and it would be perfect. Personally, output wise I would like to see moonlight(1 lumen or less) for low and 60-80 lumens for high.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

If Gene can make what amounts to an Eiger with a high/low switch and pocket clip, I'm in!

Interesting metals are a bonus too, although basic HA aluminum would be best for heat....

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

The smaller something is, the stronger it is for its proportions. If Malkoff makes a AAA light with 1/8" thick battery tube walls they'll be missing the point of AAA lights entirely, imo.
What's needed is a premium quality version of the Thrunite Ti3, imo.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened

Malkoff version of a peak with progresive low to high switch sounds perfect to me. I have been carrying a miller mods arc a lot lately and having a modern version that I didn't have to worry about losing would be great.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened

I should clarify when I say progressive I just mean comes on in low and further twist activates high. So two modes.

Nichia!

Banned

The smaller something is, the stronger it is for its proportions. If Malkoff makes a AAA light with 1/8" thick battery tube walls they'll be missing the point of AAA lights entirely, imo.
What's needed is a premium quality version of the Thrunite Ti3, imo.

Thrunite in a malkoff thread??!!!! This is not acceptable!

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast

DILLY DILLY!!
Obviously everyone won't be happy with whatever ends up happening, but I'd love to see a Malkoff take on the ARC AAA\ Fenix E01 as well. I've tried the ARC twice but favor the E01 look and form factor, probably because that's what I cut my teeth on. If Gene calls and asks for my input I'm gonna tell him single mode twisty, knurled body, long runtime, and lowish output.

Best aaa light ever.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

And for God's sake, please no internal foam rings that go bad so quickly in so many other little AAA lights!

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened

It's weird logic that a Malkoff 1xAAA would be too bulky in order to be useful. AFAIK, all of Gene's lights are bulky relative to other lights of the same form factor, and that's due to thicker battery tubes, more robust heatsinks, and overall higher quality parts.

Basically, you're not buying Malkoff because it's the smallest and thinnest, nor because it's the brightest or furthest-throwing. You're buying for build quality, reliability, purposeful beam shapes, and the best warranty in the biz. Why should that be any different in a 1xAAA form factor?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

well done guys, you're defining the goal pretty well I think

epoxy potted, graduated twisty, choice of high cri, neutral, or cool, 10440 compatible, keychain size AAA, made in USA...

while waiting for your Malkoff order to be ready, here is a light that tics all the boxes, I think, for just $55
Peak Eiger

26457889109_114c8bbf32_b.jpg

sized proportionately for illustration, the Malkoff is 4.5", the Eiger is 3.25" long.

Funny, I was about to say the Malkoff AAA already exists...by Peak, and I see you totally beat me to it, well done!

It is an amazing light, and in fact I even took it just by itself on a recent trip abroad.

I am very selective on what I take with me on trips and have tried many different approaches to what is the perfect travel light, and this AAA-Peak comes close. Recently I took two flashlights with me, with the second one being a Malkoff drop-in with a modified SF-Nitrolon C-body.

Needless to say the AAA-Peak is always with me on my key-chain.

For those sceptics, if you only used and tested this AAA-Peak, you would be amazed at its capabilities.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

That Peak Eiger Ultra looks very appealing, even though I don't like twisties. Does it have a pocket clip option?

archimedes

Flashaholic

Funny, I was about to say the Malkoff AAA already exists...by Peak, and I see you totally beat me to it, well done!

It is an amazing light, and in fact I even took it just by itself on a recent trip abroad.

I am very selective on what I take with me on trips and have tried many different approaches to what is the perfect travel light, and this AAA-Peak comes close....

That Peak Eiger Ultra looks very appealing, even though I don't like twisties. Does it have a pocket clip option?

Yes, this is what I use 90+ % for travel lighting ...

https://i.imgur.com/n1Hycpy.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I've changed my mind on this. I think it'd be cool to see a AAA MDC, sub lumen, 10-15, and 50 or so on high. I figure with how big the MDC AA is that the AAA MDC would be about the size of the D25a clicky.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast

The size of the MDC parts is determined by the mcclicky switch and M61 reflector. I don't see how this has anything to do with the size of a AAA light that wouldn't use either of those components.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a wishful thinking thread about a light that doesn't exist no? Don't shart on my mini MDC dreams sir!
The size of the MDC parts is determined by the mcclicky switch and M61 reflector. I don't see how this has anything to do with the size of a AAA light that wouldn't use either of those components.