New Inova X1?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: new inova x1 at target

I just got one of these and I must say that I am VERY IMPRESSED! I always loved the feel of the X1, just didn't have much use for the beam- Now it is virtually PERFECT! :D.

Definately a Nichia in there, and I'd venture a guess that it already is a CS! It is noticably brighter than my Arc AAA-P! A tad bluer in the hotspot, but not disturbingly so (still far better than the River Rock .5 watt LEDs). Perhaps it is the LED the new Arcs were using before they switched to a slightly whiter and dimmer bin.

The machining and fit and finish are, of course, superb, identical to the old version. The body still has a built-in spring for the battery so you won't crush your rechargebles with the twist action. While some people hate the switch, I think it is one of the more reliable ways to offer both momentary on and a solid constant on without worrying about a clicky that has the potential to break.

The only differences are in the buisness end. The LED looks well centered and the flat lense is glass. How nice to have a 5mm LED light with a protective glass so we don't have to clean out pocket crud! The "reflector" has a matte finish- it doesn't really come into play with a 5mm package, but it does look nice :).

For $20, this thing makes me annoyed how spoiled newbie flashaholics are these days ;). It is a MUCH nicer light than the competing Gerber line- it is about time Inova wised up and released this thing the right way. Although it is longer and doesn't have the tailstanding, this light pretty much quells my craving for the yet-to-be-released update of the Arc AA.

Great Job Inova!
If you can't tell, I'd recommend picking this one up;)
Jon

ps- I'd love to see a runtime graph with regular old alkalines if anyone is willing and able.

IonFire

Enlightened

Ok, tonight after dinner, i am going looking for one or two.
I can't stand it, it sounds just about perfect, the form factor, size and now a bit of spill to it, ahhhh.

I hope i find them local.

IF

NickelPlate

Enlightened

Solstice said:
ps- I'd love to see a runtime graph with regular old alkalines if anyone is willing and able.

I'm willing and able but my local Targets don't have them in stock. :awman:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

dtsoll said:
Just found out the Target 50 miles from here has the new ones, on the way there as soon as I'm done typing. I gotta get a life......................the wife is going with and she knows what I am buying there and she isn't throwing a fit, life is good!!!!!! Doug:)
WOW - 100 miles roundtrip for this little GEM - Yupp...we're all sick! Ahhh, but what fun! :D

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

dtsoll said:
Just found out the Target 50 miles from here has the new ones, on the way there as soon as I'm done typing. I gotta get a life......................the wife is going with and she knows what I am buying there and she isn't throwing a fit, life is good!!!!!! Doug:)

Yes, Doug, it is time to get a life :).

After calling 3 other Target stores and having a similar conversation to the one below, Doug finally hits paydirt!

" No , wait, I KNOW that you sell the X1 but someone has to go LOOK at them to make SURE that it's the new one with the reflector and not a lense. ... Yes, a reflector, if you look in the end you'll see a shiney cone....Yes , I know you're busy, but I'm 50 miles away and I don't want to come ALL that way if you sell the one with a lense....."

Target employees in background: "Yeah, that's what he said, this nutjob is gonna drive 50 miles so I gotta go make sure the flashlight has a shiney cone in the end..."

To Doug:
"Uh, Sir, let me go check on that for you...."

Click. Line goes dead.

10 minutes later:

Phone at target rings: "Hello, this is Target right? Well I called about 10 minutes ago and someone was checking to see if your inova x1's have a shiney cone in the end. Have they figured that out yet?"

Target employee: "Yes Sir. I spoke with you earlier and as far as I can tell, they have a shiney cone in the end."

Doug: "Excellent. I'll be there in an hour or so. Did I mention I'm 50 miles away?"

carrot

Flashaholic

dtsoll said:
With the price of gas these days... now that's dedication.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys- it's worth it! I haven't had my flashaholic itch scratched so well since the Fenix first came out :). VERY funtional, useful light. I guess I'm just lucky that there were 2 of them (I picked the whiter one, of course) at the Target 10 minutes from my house.

dtsoll

Enlightened

HEHEHEHEHE, you guys are killin me over here!!!!!!!!! Xochi, you have the dialogue just about perfect, hehe. Except the line didn't go dead, the guy actually went over and checked, came back and explained what he saw. I said the only reason I needed him to do this was I was 50 miles away!! It's the closest Target, no Target here in Grand Island:( Anyway, I'm back!!!! Picked up two while I was there. Solstice is right, these things are great!! I've always liked the X1's form factor, just not the spot beam. The new beam is very close to the Arc-P only brighter!! And, the price?? 42.58 for two!! Nice lights, well worth the trip!! And, the little woman picked up some Q-tips, so everybody's happy, hahahahhaha!!! Man was I laughin when I read some of your guys posts, thanks guys!!! Doug:)

NickelPlate

Enlightened

Must........have...........side by side...........beamshots. Someone?

Dave

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys are crackin' me up!
crackup.gif

At least I only had to drive about 5 miles out of my way to get one.

Anyway, I started a new thread over in the review section, complete with beamshots for that impatient Nickle guy.
nana.gif

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1294555

Redjam

Newly Enlightened

Great, another one cell flashlight I have to have. Let's see, pocket is full, desk drawer is full, cabinet originally designated as "once this cabinet is full I won't buy any more flashlights cabinet" is full, where to put this one....:)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the X5 will be quite a bit brighter and have about twice the runtime. And it's larger and heavier. I plan on carrying the new X1 quite often while I've only carried an X5 maybe 20 days in my life.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Redjam said:
Great, another one cell flashlight I have to have. Let's see, pocket is full, desk drawer is full, cabinet originally designated as "once this cabinet is full I won't buy any more flashlights cabinet" is full, where to put this one....:)

I'm definitely of the same mind. Can't see how I'll be able to resist visiting Target today at lunch. Just to check them out, of course.

Geoff

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had to stop in at Target today anyway, so I couldn't resist buying a new black X1. There were 2 there.

I like it better than an infinity because you can get a good grip on it. It puts out lots of light. More than my arc.

I almost got into a fight at the return counter with some stupid b.... who couldn't get off her phone. She swore at me then threatened to hit/fight me and I piped up, "Is there security or a cop in the store? This lady's threatening me."

Stupid crank.

Last edited:

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened

Went to 2 Targets near me with no luck--only old models were there. Not enough EFL employees to bother calling, so I guess I'll have to either wait or do a bit of driving.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Checked two Targets in my area. One had two of the new models in silver mixed in with the old ones. Decided to wait for a black one.

Geoff

jtice

Flashaholic

What kinda prices are you guys seeing on these new ones?
My local Target is about 30 minutes away,
and never has anything new that I am looking for. :(