New Malkoff MDC in the works.

SmokeJumperr

Newly Enlightened
Using AW Protected R123A bought in this thread.

Norm

Thanks you Sir! So, AW protected batteries are now on order. Now for the charger, I'm reading that the NiteCore Intelli-4 charger is hard to beat, I believe from research it will charge these batteries safely. What kind of run time do you guys get out of these AW batteries in an MDC in an EDC type of role? Week or less? Thanks again

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum! . :welcome:

That charger will work on the AW's, but there are many other better choices in my opinion. I'd get a different charger if I were you. Xtar VP1 or a Pila would be a better choice.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The neutral MDC head and body arrived today.

Wow, it's small....approximately 2/3 the length of an MD2.

The tint is very close to that of my M61N drop-ins.

I think I'm going to like it a lot.

Grizz

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD2's head is 1.22", or 1 7/32", or 31.0 mm in diameter across the entire length. Both the body and tailcap at the widest areas is exactly 1", or 25.4 mm in diameter.

The MDC's head is 1.029", or 1 1/32", or 26.1 mm in diameter at the bezel, and it tapers down to exactly 1", or 25.4 mm at the body. The body's narrow section is .798", or 51/64", or 20.3 mm across the entire length. The tail section is .897", or 22.8 mm across the entire length.

The MD2 length is 5.072", or 128.9 mm, while the MDC is 3.709", or 94.1 mm.

Grizz

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
The MD2's head is 1.22", or 1 7/32", or 31.0 mm in diameter across the entire length. Both the body and tailcap at the widest areas is exactly 1", or 25.4 mm in diameter.

The MDC's head is 1.029", or 1 1/32", or 26.1 mm in diameter at the bezel, and it tapers down to exactly 1", or 25.4 mm at the body. The body's narrow section is .798", or 51/64", or 20.3 mm across the entire length. The tail section is .897", or 22.8 mm across the entire length.

The MD2 length is 5.072", or 128.9 mm, while the MDC is 3.709", or 94.1 mm.

Grizz

Those MDC measurements are for CR123 or AA?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad I could assist.

It's getting pretty dark outside. I think there's something out there I need to see.

It's going to be very interesting comparing it to my M61N SHO.

As expected, the neutral MDC's beam pattern, output, and tint are practically identical to the N SHO. I really like it that the MDC's low is 15 lumens, which happens to be roughly equal to an M61 in an MD-series light on low.

On low, I was able to view the ant highway crossing my driveway.....neat, organized, two-way traffic. From 10 yards or so, medium allowed me to easily see the pile of weeds I'd tossed by the side of the house while trimming the lawn earlier today. High allowed me to see anything I wanted at any location on my property.

This is my first reflectored multi-output light that's controlled fully by the tailcap. I think it's going to work out very well. In actual use, it really does always come on in low.

Grizz

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, MDC bodies are in offer... and $30 a pop (I paid $35 each for both of mine, sigh)... AWESOME deal... Probably the best bang4buck for high current single cell e-series head compatible body...

Looks like they are back up to $35.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Wow, Gene doesn't play around. When he says coming soon, he means it!

I literally just finished a review of the MDC lineup, so in honor of the new Li-Ion version I'll share some stuff that might apply to the new MDC head. It looks like the drive current (on high) for the new model is similar to the MDC AA on a Li-Ion so this may give some indication of what to expect on one 16340 . . .

Malkoff_MDC_2.jpg

Several other pics in the review.

I just ordered an MDC AA, it only gets 15 min on high? I ran through the Malkoff equation ((battery capacity/draw)0.8 = runtime in minutes) posted on the product webpage to estimate runtime for a AA lithium, Eveready states 3100 mAh for its battery, per Malkoff the draw is 2000 mAh for there cell so (3100mAh/2000mAh)0.8 equals 1.24 minutes?

Anyone have the low beam runtimes?

kelmo

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

I just noticed yesterday that my MDC HA 1CR123 Flashlight body is quite purple when viewed in bright sunlight the head is black, my MDC MDC HA 1CR123 is matching black all over.

Norm

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The consistency of the HA coloring has been hit or miss from Malkoff in my experience. That's for all lights... MD2, Hound Dog, and etc. I once ordered a turn key MD2 as a retirement gift for my father and it was so bad I ordered a second one because I was afraid my dad would judge the quality of the light based on the bad ano. Fortunately, I emailed Gene and Kathy and they dug through the parts bin until they found the best matching head and body they could.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I guess we are going to have to have Don (McGizmo) pipe in here and explain how perfect the finish on his Titanium lights is. Maybe ask Surefire to explain their mismatched anodizing. Don's flashlights sell at a very high premium, and few complaints are made about machining marks. Surefire sells their lights as tools, so do Gene, and Don. End of minor rant. LOL.

Bill

ganymede

Enlightened

I just noticed yesterday that my MDC HA 1CR123 Flashlight body is quite purple when viewed in bright sunlight the head is black, my MDC MDC HA 1CR123 is matching black all over.

Norm

Norm,

That's pretty normal for a Malkoff.

Norm

Retired Administrator

Norm,

That's pretty normal for a Malkoff.
I'll have to look at my other lights, it's not a problem it's not at all visible in most lighting, just curios as my other MDC is all black.

Norm

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I purchased a LMH li ion when that model first came out. The body and head matched well. Ordered the neutral version recently and it's black. Makes the other look purple, didn't notice it that much before but comparing it does show. I have md2's the same way.

ganymede

Enlightened

I'll have to look at my other lights, it's not a problem it's not at all visible in most lighting, just curios as my other MDC is all black.

Norm

My MD heads look purplish under strong light as well.