*new* Olight H1 Nova

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Received some launch material from Olight, sharing here for your info/amusement... :nana:

H1NovaLaunch_01.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_02.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_03.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_04.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_05.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_06.jpg

============================

So, ignoring the 3 minutes boost mode :grin2:, it's essentially a 180 lumens diffused/flood headlamp, available in Cool/Neutral white, MSRP of ~US$55 and slightly shorter than Olight's S1. Comparing to ZebraLight's offering, the H302w/H32Fw seems to have more features with a couple of more bucks... :hahaha: anyway, might still get a NW unit to play with... now, if only Olight could stick to their planned schedule... but with their "rapid" release timeline (almost 1 or 2 new models each month :ohgeez:), I'm not holding my hopes up... their release schedule starting to feel like those IT projects implementations familiar to yours truly... LOL!

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one thing about this attracts me by comparison to the ZL offerings:

the length. It is 2.3" or 58mm, whereas the ZL32 and ZL 302 are 2.7" or 68mm.

I am puzzled that the H32 and H302 are not shorter than they are.
The AA-based H52 uses a 50mm cell and has a total length of 76 mm.
The 123-based H32 uses a 34mm cell and has a total length of 68 mm.
So the cell is 16 mm shorter, but the total unit is only 8mm shorter.

ZL is *so good* at building things in a compact and efficient way: how come they can't get that a bit shorter?

In any case--the Nova looks nice, but I wish it had a lower low. I might look at one just for size.

Olightworld

Enlightened
We offer a lot of models around the US holiday season for obvious reasons and less models coming out during spring and summer. Sometimes we have delays as well due to making changes or refinements during our final prototype phase such as this H1 Nova which was originally going to release at the beginning of the month. Give the NW version a shot. It is very useful especially when you have a beam on your head.

Received some launch material from Olight, sharing here for your info/amusement... :nana:

H1NovaLaunch_01.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_02.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_03.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_04.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_05.jpg

H1NovaLaunch_06.jpg

============================

So, ignoring the 3 minutes boost mode :grin2:, it's essentially a 180 lumens diffused/flood headlamp, available in Cool/Neutral white, MSRP of ~US$55 and slightly shorter than Olight's S1. Comparing to ZebraLight's offering, the H302w/H32Fw seems to have more features with a couple of more bucks... :hahaha: anyway, might still get a NW unit to play with... now, if only Olight could stick to their planned schedule... but with their "rapid" release timeline (almost 1 or 2 new models each month :ohgeez:), I'm not holding my hopes up... their release schedule starting to feel like those IT projects implementations familiar to yours truly... LOL!

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. Both "moonlight" and "firefly" live below one lumen.

Wiki: " the full Moon typically provides only about 0.1 lux illumination"

This light provides about 1000 lux at 500lumens, so 4 lux at 2 lumens. That's 40 times as bright as full moonlight.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose if you want to be technical about it, the full moon is about 0.1 lumens per square meter. A 2 lumen headlamp, actually worn on your head, just so happens to provide roughly the same illumination level as moonlight (subject to numerous only partially accurate assumptions about the beam shape).

Not that a technical comparison to the namesake for the desired low mode is relevant. Just throwing that out there because I was curious how the math worked out and wanted to share.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you show your work on that, iamlucky? Looks to me like you're assuming that the headlamp distributes its two lumens over 20 sq meters, at a distance of roughly one meter (i.e. arm's length). That strikes me as implausible, even for a much floodier beam (I don't think even a 120 degree beam like the ZL 502 covers a 4 or 5 meter circle when pulled back one meter).

But you can clear up my confusion just by showing the numbers that you plugged in. You can probably follow my calculations--I was just assuming that the same beam-shape and the same distance that gave 1000lux for 500 lumens would give 4 lux for 2 lumens, since with the same beam-shape and distance the area covered would be the same. My rough calculation may be wrong, and maybe I'm approaching it the wrong way, but again I'd be grateful to hear what you think is wrong with that approach.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. Me too.

+3

Too bad Olight didnt add a sub lumen moonlight mode in addition to the other modes. They always seem to fall just short of a great design. Its too bad because they have some great designs/features. This light is kind of like a Zebralight crossed with an Armytek but with less modes, features, and without the real time thermal regulation. I think it should be a bit cheaper considering:shrug:

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you show your work on that, iamlucky? Looks to me like you're assuming that the headlamp distributes its two lumens over 20 sq meters, at a distance of roughly one meter (i.e. arm's length). That strikes me as implausible, even for a much floodier beam (I don't think even a 120 degree beam like the ZL 502 covers a 4 or 5 meter circle when pulled back one meter).

But you can clear up my confusion just by showing the numbers that you plugged in. You can probably follow my calculations--I was just assuming that the same beam-shape and the same distance that gave 1000lux for 500 lumens would give 4 lux for 2 lumens, since with the same beam-shape and distance the area covered would be the same. My rough calculation may be wrong, and maybe I'm approaching it the wrong way, but again I'd be grateful to hear what you think is wrong with that approach.

Not knowing much about the beam, my rough initial estimate was just projecting a simple 90 degree cone straight down to the ground from 2 meters height. In reality, very few user's foreheads are 2 meters off the ground, but at the same time, normal use is actually at an angle to the ground. This is just a really rough ballpark calculation, after all, and I only worked out an average, not a peak.

I just noticed that in the prior page they specify a peak luminous intensity of 1080 candela, which I'm guessing is what you were referring to when you referenced 1000 lux for 500 lumens? That can refine the estimate for the center of the beam, but you have to be aware that a candela only equals a lux at 1 meter - converting the various units for lighting can be confusing.

Regardless, you're starting with that figure is in most regards better than my method. Therefore 1080 candela at 500 lumens works out to 4.32 candela at 1 meter, providing 4.32 lux of illuminance at the center of the beam. At 2 meters, the illuminance has spread out to 1.08 lux.

So we're still a factor of 10 over the intensity of moonlight using this method, but knowing also that the total light output is 2 lumens, and from my previous calculation the average intensity over my theoretical cone is much lower, we know then that the intensity has to fall off fairly distinctly moving away from the center of the beam - the center of the beam will be noticeably brighter than moonlight, but the spill will be dimmer than moonlight.

But this is all academic. If 2 lumens is too bright for what people want in an ultralow mode, it doesn't matter how it compares to the moon.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
:confused: all these maths is making me :hairpull: and :faint: and my brain is spinning in chaos... received another banner pic from Olight... posting here for your enjoyment with my own twist...
H1%20Nova%20%20-%20Homepage%20Banner%20Parody.jpg

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, lucky13.

It is funny that we use "moonlight mode" for a lumen measurement, when what we experience in the dimness of walking in the moonlight is really a lux measurement. It's not a low-output light; it's a high-output light held very far away, whose output is diffused over a very, very large area.

If we were to work out how many *lumens* of moonlight are hitting the earth during a full moon, it would probably be in the billions, and if we worked out how many lumens are leaving the moon's surface ("emitter lumens"), it would probably be in the trillions.