*new* Olight H1 Nova

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight, I remember watching a video of one of your reps at a show showing a headlamp prototype that could be snapped onto/slid into the holder of the headband without first taking the clip off. Whatever happened to that concept? I think it's a great idea as the headlamp can be used handheld, clipped onto clothes or equipment, and over the head without taking the clip on and off.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
This will make a brilliant LEO vest light with the clip as super useful to read documents and see what you're doing keeping both ands free [emoji106][emoji363]

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I just got mine from Amazon (sale last week) today and so far... not that impressed with its performance.

Anyone know how many amps this pulls on Turbo mode or voltage cutoff? I've tried 4 different AW RCR123 750mAh and the longest I get on Turbo is 25 seconds before it drops to High mode. It tripped the protection circuit cut-off on 2 of them. I've tried 2 different AW IMR 550mAh and the most I get is 3 seconds on Turbo before it drops down to High. All the cells are just off the charger. The review on page 2 of this thread showed the full 3 minute Turbo on an Olight IMR 550mAh cell. Is that the only one that can sustain Turbo? That and primary cells?

Most of the reviews I found on another site are from people who got them for free and none of them mention anything about short turbo run times. The other possibility is that all my AW Li-Co & IMR cells are getting old and not up to snuff anymore. In which case this is essentially a 180 lumen headlamp for me, no better than my 6 year old Zebralight H51w with 172 lumens.

As for the headlamp itself, it's definitely very white for something labeled as neutral white. Whiter than all my other 4000-4500k lights so it's probably around 5000k like the other reviewer posted earlier on this thread. Color rendering is meh. Beam is somewhere between a Zebralight H52 and H502. I never tried a Zebra H52F but I imagine it's probably something similar, a diffused reflectored beam, nothing close to the pure flood of the H502.

Magnetic tailcap is nice. Brightness spacing for the 3 primary modes is okay. Turbo is relatively easy to access (for 25 seconds anyway). I really don't like how moonlight is sort of hidden away or not easily accessed as the other 4 modes. The case is superfluous, never used a case for any of my other 4 or 5 headlamps. The clip is the usual, wouldn't trust it to keep it on me if i snag it on something, but I bought it to use on my head, not clipped onto something.

I've got 4 different Zebralights (H50, H50b, H51w, H502w) and wanted to try a CR123 powered headlamp and something a bit different this time and the price on sale was right (about 2/3 the price of a new H32w). So far I'm not that impressed with Olight's attempt at a H32F. Seriously considering returning it to Amazon and bucking up to get the H32w that I actually wanted.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight, I remember watching a video of one of your reps at a show showing a headlamp prototype that could be snapped onto/slid into the holder of the headband without first taking the clip off. Whatever happened to that concept? I think it's a great idea as the headlamp can be used handheld, clipped onto clothes or equipment, and over the head without taking the clip on and off.

I was thinking the same thing. I would use it mostly with the clip, but wouldn't want to risk losing the clip if I had to take it off to use the headband.

I'm still looking for a light that will do that.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
- maybe i'll tape my H1 with some gaffa tape for scratch protection ;)
Kinda pathetic to do so but it's a high price i paid for such a small thingy so some protection is warranted. i don't wanna accidentally ruin the anodized finish only because the light is getting more frequent/regular usage than any of my collection lights. as said earlier, i'd really prefer a stainless steel SS edition of this light!!

not professional taping, yet i can't say that i am not a bit proud of the result:

img20161217124724khsu4.jpg

img20161217125005szsob.jpg

img20161217125136xgsb8.jpg

img20161217125307x9s1j.jpg

img2016121712545597s9p.jpg

img2016121712535848sbh.jpg

img20161217131951w8ssj.jpg

16340 lights have come a long way. we've reached the tip of the evolution. :kiss:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job taping, Kreisl!

(With your name, I'm not surprised that you are good at making small circles!)

However, that tape is going to act like insulation on the head, preventing the cooling-fins from doing their job.

That means that the heat will trigger the thermal shut-down quicker on turbo.

Perhaps that is a price that you are willing to pay for protection from scratches.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

At the Med mode (60 Olight-lumens) the light stays cool, doesn't get warm.

The light has thermal shut-down, really? I didn't know. If so, i don't need to worry about over-heating - the thermal shut-down would take care of it. I will run a long test at the 180 lumen level. For close up range, like arm-length and desktop table, 180lm is uber bright. 180 Fenix-lumens were the Turbo-mode of the LD20 R5, if you recall correctly ;)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

At the Med mode (60 Olight-lumens) the light stays cool, doesn't get warm.

The light has thermal shut-down, really? I didn't know. If so, i don't need to worry about over-heating - the thermal shut-down would take care of it. I will run a long test at the 180 lumen level. For close up range, like arm-length and desktop table, 180lm is uber bright. 180 Fenix-lumens were the Turbo-mode of the LD20 R5, if you recall correctly ;)

The H1 does not have any thermal management. It has a timed step down just like the other olight models. This is one of the many reasons that makes this light inferior to the ZL offerings. Not only does ZL have advanced 384 step real-time thermal management(which can even be adjusted to your preferred temperature)but, they also have many more modes(including a few different "real" moonlight options), user programmability for output modes, more emitter and beam profile options, larger headband with removable silicone holder and even a gitd option, better battery compatibility and shock resistance(duel spring design), they are also lighter weight, and all for only $9 more. The only thing the H1 has going for it is the slightly smaller size and magnetic tail cap. But, ZL has been refining it's headlamp designs for a decade so it only stands to reason they would be more advanced.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the slightly smaller size and
10.1mm to be exact (according to official specs).

let's not forget the more versatile H1 clip, for up or down carry/clipping. nice carry case which i actually use. and 5 years warranty.
i don't like the PID on the H32w. against a white wall one can see how the ZL light gets dimmer and dimmer every 4sec right after initial activation on Turbo, the PID at work! I prefer constant brightness, heat building up, then big brightness drop, and light can cool off.

i had my share of ZL's. the PID of H32w really turned me off, i hated it. and i felt bad, the high price didn't feel right for what i got in return, so i had to let it go. looking back i can only think of the negative sides of the H32w and those 2 reasons why it really had to go. in comparison, thinking of the H1 there is no single point which is negative about my unit. the price is still high imho .. but i had a coupon or whatnot, i ended up paying less than the 55US$ MSRP.

basically i regretted buying the H32w.
and i don't regret having bought the H1. still expensive though! :crazy:

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
10.1mm to be exact (according to official specs).

let's not forget the more versatile H1 clip, for up or down carry/clipping. nice carry case which i actually use. and 5 years warranty.
i don't like the PID on the SC32. against a white wall one can see how the ZL light gets dimmer and dimmer every 4sec right after initial activation on Turbo, the PID at work! I prefer constant brightness, heat building up, then big brightness drop, and light can cool off.

i had my share of ZL's. the PID of SC32 really turned me off, i hated it. and i felt bad, the high price didn't feel right for what i got in return, so i had to let it go. looking back i can only think of the negative sides of the SC32 and those 2 reasons why it really had to go. in comparison, thinking of the H1 there is no single point which is negative about my unit. the price is still high imho .. but i had a coupon or whatnot, i ended up paying less than the 55US$ MSRP.

basically i regretted buying the SC32.
and i don't regret having bought the H1. still expensive though! :crazy:

But, it is also 16.5 grams heavier. Weight matters a lot more when it comes to a headlamp application imo. Its hard to see the extra cm when its on your head lol.

I believe the ZL clip is reversible too(I rarely use a clip on a headlamp) but, a reversible clip isn't a huge difference on a right angled headlamp anyway and not having it doesn't limit its use like on a normal flashlight. While its nice that it is included, the case can be purchased separately if you really need it so can the similar Gloworm case for $3. ZL comes with a 1 year warranty and they have a flat rate repair of any problem for $15 for ever after that. With Olight, after the 5 years you are on your own. So, in the long run, I think the ZL warranty is preferable but, that is my opinion and YMMV.

I read the post before you edited it Kreisl. You have said in other threads that you are a collector and not a user. You don't notice the PID step downs/ups in normal use as they are very small(there is 384 steps). If you used the light away from the white wall, you would know this. The nice thing about the PID is that it adjusts up and down to maximize the brightness while staying within the safe operating temperature limits. So, unlike the H1 that drops its output by 64% after 3 minutes, the ZL's will give you the maximum brightness for the conditions and will increase the brightness again, in real time, if the conditions get better. If you are using the ZL in good cooling conditions, you can actually get max output(480 lumens) for the entire battery. High price? The ZL is only $9 more and you get a much more advanced light. That seams reasonable to me:shrug:.

We are all entitled to our own opinions and preferences. If you prefer the H1 then you made the right decision. But, that doesn't change the facts, the ZL is the superior light when it comes to electronic sophistication and features anyway. And, the funny thing is the H32 is couple of years old now and the H1 is new. I look forward to the further improvements and refinement that the next generation will offer(H33).

I like the H1 Nova for the most part but, it falls short, by quite a bit, when compared to some of the other offerings in my opinion. The main things that bother me are the lack of real time thermal management, lack of a moonlight mode, not being able to remove or replace the silicone holder, and the high price when compared to the feature superior competition. Personally, I think both the ZL H32 and Armytek Tiara C1 Pro are far superior in most ways and a much better value for the money.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
But, it is also 16.5 grams heavier. Weight matters a lot more when it comes to a headlamp application imo. Its hard to see the extra cm when its on your head lol.
well, i just got off the kitchen.

the H1 alone (with my tape but without headband and without clip and without battery) weighs 24g on my +1g kitchen scale. the h32 is listed with 33g (with clip and without headband).
the h1 clip weighs

my taped H1 = 24g (without H1 headband and without clip and without battery)
my taped H1 + H1 headband = 53g (without H1 clip and without battery)
my taped H1 + H1 clip = 30g (without H1 headband and without battery)

You're welcome.

apparently ZL CR123A battery weighs 15g. feel free to add 15g to the above figures. still lighter than the Zebralight!

i think i have won the debate. :D

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i just got off the kitchen.

the H1 alone (with my tape but without headband and without clip and without battery) weighs 24g on my +1g kitchen scale. the h32 is listed with 33g (with clip and without headband).

Which one/ones do you actually own between the H1 and the H32w?

I was going by the specs listed on Olight's website. They list it at 49.5grams without the battery. Maybe they mean with the head strap? Either way, its smaller and apparently lighter yes. That is a plus but comes at the cost of lower durability.

I don't own either anymore. The only CR123a size headlamp I still own is the newest Armytek Tiara Pro(which is an awesome headlamp too and also has many benefits over the H1). I have switched to 18650 powered headlamps for the most part for their greatly increased runtime and output. My current favorite is the H600Fd&c MKIII.

As I said, the H1 is an Ok headlamp and a good first try for Olight. But, a lot of improvement can be made in future versions and it is a poor value imo when compared to some of the offerings from other brands.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have Tiara Pro C1 too. robust as hell. that's the one which i seldom dared to wear on my head, a frikkin weight and size monster! sure, bomb proof, 10m water dunk resistance, 10m fall drop resistance. but then again an overkill for when i want to use a headlamp. just now i peeled an orange at my other darker desk. put on the H1 as if i were switching on the desktop light!, meaning i wouldn't have ever considered putting the chunky Tiara Pro on my head !

if i were in a civil war, fire fighter, i'd finally agree to take the AT with me and wear it on top of a helmet. besides, i would probably never wear a 18650 headlight. if i needed a headlamp with 18650 power e.g. for extended work outdoors, i'd simply pack up my things and go home :crackup:

just saying that the H1, prolly the smallest and lightest CR123A headlamp out on the market, is like an EDW (everyday wear) light. if i actually need robustez for a certain lighting/diving situation, i'll pick the Tiara okay. but in all other instances the H1 is the always the pick, without even thinking.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm just imagining you peeling an orange with your headlamp. Makes me smile for some reason. :)

Any issues with the armytek?
You really like that h1 eh?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
aah canada, armytek against geman squirrel :eek:

no issues with the armytek. just that its over-the-top construction/robustez is not needed in an indoor situation, which reminds me of the conflicted reviewer of HDS Executive and HDS Rotary. i have them all, Tiara Pro C1, H32w, and H1 and some Niteye. And the H1 has become my favorite out of the bunch, easily.

in the past 2 years, ever since AT came out with Wizard Pro, other manufacturers tried to come out with similar offerings. heck even Eagtac tried to release such a headlamp! there are now so many similar headlamps based on the Wizard Pro design. when the H1 was announced, i thought that it would be yet another similar light but it turned out to be distinctive.

Distinctive how?

Well, for starters, it bears the title of the lightest and smallest headlamp of its kind (CR123A). And what i like about it in detail, i've posted before already.

EDIT:
runtime on Hi-mode on Eagtac16340 is ~1h45min, battery is then at ~3.0V, and light automatically steps down to Med-mode. When you try to go up to Hi-mode, the light steps back down to Med-mode after a few seconds. So then you know that there is not enough juice left in the battery. At 3.0V i consider the 16340 rather depleted and it's time to recharge it. Of course the runtime on a CR123A is longer because a CR123A has double the capacity of a 16340. i must say that my taped light does not get hot during the 1h45min. Eventually the body gets slightly warm, yes, but it's a far cry from anywhere near being called 'really warm' or even 'hot'.
For the Turbo-mode one definitely needs a fully charged very healthy battery, possibly unprotected. Otherwise the Turbo-mode steps down to the Hi-mode earlier than expected.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have Tiara Pro C1 too. robust as hell. that's the one which i seldom dared to wear on my head, a frikkin weight and size monster! sure, bomb proof, 10m water dunk resistance, 10m fall drop resistance. but then again an overkill for when i want to use a headlamp. just now i peeled an orange at my other darker desk. put on the H1 as if i were switching on the desktop light!, meaning i wouldn't have ever considered putting the chunky Tiara Pro on my head !

if i were in a civil war, fire fighter, i'd finally agree to take the AT with me and wear it on top of a helmet. besides, i would probably never wear a 18650 headlight. if i needed a headlamp with 18650 power e.g. for extended work outdoors, i'd simply pack up my things and go home :crackup:

just saying that the H1, prolly the smallest and lightest CR123A headlamp out on the market, is like an EDW (everyday wear) light. if i actually need robustez for a certain lighting/diving situation, i'll pick the Tiara okay. but in all other instances the H1 is the always the pick, without even thinking.

The other benefit to a bit larger and more beefy light is better heatsinking for much better performance when using high output.

See I think thats the difference, the H1 is a basic light for casual users who dont need many features, modes, or added robustness and just use their lights around the house(for peeling oranges for instance:D). Where as the ZL and Armytek models are better for advanced hard users who want the latest in electronic technology, more bells and whistles, and use their lights in harsh real world conditions.

I do like the H1, its a nice little light. I just think it missed the mark and could have been a lot better. If it were cheaper(to better match its feature set) and had a real moonlight mode I likely would own one. I do greatly prefer real time temperature regulation as well over timed step downs.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
aah canada, armytek against geman squirrel :eek:

no issues with the armytek. just that its over-the-top construction/robustez is not needed in an indoor situation, which reminds me of the conflicted reviewer of HDS Executive and HDS Rotary. i have them all, Tiara Pro C1, H32w, and H1 and some Niteye. And the H1 has become my favorite out of the bunch, easily.

in the past 2 years, ever since AT came out with Wizard Pro, other manufacturers tried to come out with similar offerings. heck even Eagtac tried to release such a headlamp! there are now so many similar headlamps based on the Wizard Pro design. when the H1 was announced, i thought that it would be yet another similar light but it turned out to be distinctive.

Distinctive how?

Well, for starters, it bears the title of the lightest and smallest headlamp of its kind (CR123A). And what i like about it in detail, i've posted before already.

Yeah it is so tiny:D. Just like the S1. I look forward to version 2(H2? ). Come on Olight, give us a real moonlight mode, proper thermal management, a larger headband with removable/replaceable silicone holder, and a glass lens to protect the optic and I think you will have a real winner[emoji106].

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my needs, the *only* thing that the H1 has that is better than the H32/H302 is its small size.

Which is great! It's really tiny.

This also has drawbacks, like worse heat-sinking, worse durability, etc.,

If ZL redesigned their H32/H302 in order to gain back part of that 10mm difference in length, then I would buy the ZL over the H1 every time.

So I'm basically agreeing with Tachead, but I also understand why Kreisl is enchanted by the size. Entzückend ist es, wirklich!

AvroArrow

Enlightened
For the Turbo-mode one definitely needs a fully charged very healthy battery, possibly unprotected. Otherwise the Turbo-mode steps down to the Hi-mode earlier than expected.

That's 1 of 2 of my main complaints (the other being the 5000k "neutral" tint), the 500 lumen burst mode might as well not be there for me since I can only get 20-25 seconds out of my best AW Li-Co cells. My AW IMRs last 1-3 seconds before step down. The only way I can get 500 lumens for more then 25 seconds is to use brand new quality primary cells. I am not buying a new set of Li-Co/IMR cells just for this headlamp.

I do like the H1, its a nice little light. I just think it missed the mark and could have been a lot better. If it were cheaper(to better match its feature set) and had a real moonlight mode I likely would own one. I do greatly prefer real time temperature regulation as well over timed step downs.

I could almost live with what they call the moonlight mode, but it's so out of the way in the main UI that it's not intuitive to get to. But as it is, even at the sale price I paid (low $40s USD), I'm going to return it. Yes it is the smallest and lightest, but to me it's a 180 lumen 3 mode cool white headlamp with a magnetic tailcap. Maybe I've just been at this hobby too long and have gotten quite particular in my tastes and preferences.

For those praising the Armytek C1/Pro, have they fixed the circuitry bugs? I see in the other thread a couple people having to reset their lights using 2xAA and wire/paperclip? It's also a fair bit heavier than the H32w and H52w. Does it feel heavier? That's one of the reasons I've avoided 18650 headlamps due to their bulk and weight.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My AW IMRs last 1-3 seconds before step down. The only way I can get 500 lumens for more then 25 seconds is to use brand new quality primary cells. I am not buying a new set of Li-Co/IMR cells just for this headlamp.
my Like New (old but unused) Nietcore 16340 sustains 1min15sec before the sudden drop. i hate that battery!!
my abused Eagtac 16340 sustains 3min, then gradually reduces output for 1min, as per Design Spec. a subsequent run gets only 1.5min Turbo-mode, then the sudden drop.
my Keeppower 16340 doesn't fit in the H1, too long. i tried to extend the H1 threads with a copper ring but my mod was too rough and no electrical connection was established. i gave up for good reason. the KP16340 works in my S1-Ti without problems because of the non-anodized threads.

16340 batteries are kind of pricey. me not likey!!