*new* Olight H1 Nova

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. Healthy discount on this at olightstore!

I hit the bid, and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Then I'll give it to my son, who likes 123 format stuff.

Me, I'll probably stick with my ZL AA format for EDC, and my ZL 18650 material for hard use.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for to hear how it compares to your ZL lights. Olight needs to make AA and 18650 versions of this light. I would definitely pick one up. Would go ZL again but can't understand why they can't offer a clip for their 18650 angle lights.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for to hear how it compares to your ZL lights. Olight needs to make AA and 18650 versions of this light. I would definitely pick one up. Would go ZL again but can't understand why they can't offer a clip for their 18650 angle lights.

It will not compare to the ZL. They are in different classes. The ZL has far more modes(including moonlight), user programmability, a battery capacity indicator, realtime thermal management, industry leading driver efficiency and runtimes, and is available in 3 different beam configurations as well as high CRI variants. That said, this light is still a pretty nice headlamp and is very small and light.

The Nitecore MH20 clip fits the ZL H600 series like it was made for it. It fits absolutely perfectly in the holder groves and can be mounted in bezel down or up orientation. It is also readily available for less then $6 here(it is version B)...

http://www.nitecorestore.com/Pocket-Clip-for-Nitecore-P12-Flashlight-p/acc-clip-nitecore.htm

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore MH20 clip fits the ZL H600 series like it was made for it. It fits absolutely perfectly in the holder groves and can be mounted in bezel down or up orientation. It is also readily available for less then $6 here(it is version B)...

http://www.nitecorestore.com/Pocket-Clip-for-Nitecore-P12-Flashlight-p/acc-clip-nitecore.htm

Great recommendation! I just ordered 4 of them for H600-series lights belonging to me, my son, my brother.

That combined with davidt1's magnet-on-the-clip trick makes it an ideal work-light: stick it on anything metallic, and rotate to the ideal angle.
Much better than tail-cap magnets, that only allow the light to point normal to whatever the metal surface happens to be.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great recommendation! I just ordered 4 of them for H600-series lights belonging to me, my son, my brother.

That combined with davidt1's magnet-on-the-clip trick makes it an ideal work-light: stick it on anything metallic, and rotate to the ideal angle.
Much better than tail-cap magnets, that only allow the light to point normal to whatever the metal surface happens to be.

Bring along a flat washer and gaffer tape (gaffer tape is something one should carry as an essential EDC item) and you can create your own metal surface where there is none. The washer can be carried on the keychain easily.

Me I refuse to buy a $90 light without a proper clip.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope you like them:thumbsup:. Let us know what you think when you get them.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
TintComparisonsLoRes.jpg

from left, Lumintop IYP365, H1Nova CW, H1Nova NW, SMini Ti Bead Blasted, S1 Baton Ti Polished, S1R.

on that pic, the S1mini-Ti and the S1-Ti have the best looking tints.
the H1-cw looks a bit greenish, the H1-nw looks yellowish-greenish or yellowish. omg

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
on that pic, the S1mini-Ti and the S1-Ti have the best looking tints.
the H1-cw looks a bit greenish, the H1-nw looks yellowish-greenish or yellowish. omg
You are right, the H1-cw is greenish, but the H1-nw have the same tint as the S1-Ti. ;)
and you are right again, the SMini-Ti Bead Blasted have the best tint. :thumbsup:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad news, folks.

This little thing is *so darned cute* that I am having a hard time resisting it.

I bought one for my son for Xmas--like I said, he uses 123 format lights, and I don't. I prefer to stick with 18650 for output and capacity, and AA for availability.

But the light for my son arrived yesterday, and I took it out to examine it, and...heavens, what an adorable little light! It is so tiny, I do not see any way to keep it out of my pocket!

The good news from my perspective is that I *still* do not like TIR beams, even in this pebbled version. It's an okay beam, maybe a 30 degree hotspot with very little spill outside of that. But it's not broad enough to where there's no hotspot, like my H502w, nor is it narrow enough to have *any* worthwhile throw, like my H52w. So I can use that as a reason not to buy a second one for myself.

The UI's not bad, though, and the moonlight is *almost* a real, sublumen moonlight. I also like the way that the turbo ramps up and down from whatever other level it was on.

Mostly--it's so tiny!

tbarb169

Newly Enlightened
Well, i have to say I love the little light! I have only had the energizer led headlamps before, so this thing is so much better than the $5-20 lights i previously used. I was surprised walking my dogs that the lowest level was plenty of light on the bike paths in my town. A bump to medium was plenty of light to see what was coming ahead. Cant wait for my first trip in the woods at night to see how well it works in a non-urban area! So far it is A+.

Now i just need to determine which rechargeable battery I am going to run once the original battery goes.

wattstar

Newly Enlightened
So it appears all specials have finished. I haven't purchased an olight yet, does anyone know where is the best place to purchase from?

i am located in Australia. Thanks!

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
So it appears all specials have finished. I haven't purchased an olight yet, does anyone know where is the best place to purchase from?

i am located in Australia. Thanks!

Hey mate, I'm from NZ and have heard good things about liteshop. They have the latest Olight models among the other online flashlight dealers in Australia. The link is: https://www.liteshop.com.au/brands/olight

budrichard

Newly Enlightened
I replace the POS Petzel I had on my Black Diamond climbing helmet with the H1 Nova.
The helmet has retainers for the strap and the light easily rotates in its mount. It's light, one touch operation with a good beam.
When I get Photobucket working, will Post a pic.-Richard

Olightworld

Enlightened
Thanks Richard. I look forward to the pics.

I replace the POS Petzel I had on my Black Diamond climbing helmet with the H1 Nova.
The helmet has retainers for the strap and the light easily rotates in its mount. It's light, one touch operation with a good beam.
When I get Photobucket working, will Post a pic.-Richard

Olightworld

Enlightened
Thank you! You can use the recommended Olight RCR123A which is 650mAh and is protected to make sure you stay safe. Using the light in low and medium gives you great runtimes as well!

Well, i have to say I love the little light! I have only had the energizer led headlamps before, so this thing is so much better than the $5-20 lights i previously used. I was surprised walking my dogs that the lowest level was plenty of light on the bike paths in my town. A bump to medium was plenty of light to see what was coming ahead. Cant wait for my first trip in the woods at night to see how well it works in a non-urban area! So far it is A+.

Now i just need to determine which rechargeable battery I am going to run once the original battery goes.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry i didnt read anything here in the thread but this is good since my following take/impressions are completely unbiased, random thoughts about my H1-nw:

- the headstrap/headband is too small in circumference. it just fits okay on my head but so many ppl have bigger heads. i've lucked out, so i shouldn't complain.
- how do i wash the headband? btw there is no way to remove the rubber holder.
- the o-ring is super thin and is not seated deeply in a groove. since the light is so small in dimensions, it was probably not possible to machine a deeper groove. i lost the oring when i unwinded the rubber holder with the tailcap removed; later on i found the lost oring somewhere. i guess we ought to keep the tailcap on when fiddling with the rubber holder
- there is no accessory bag with spare orings wtf
- some protected 16340 don't fit, for example Keeppower 16340
- the tailcap magnet .. is it that dark thin ring? let's hope that it doesn't break/crack after a few flashlight drops
- the light is not as bright as Smini-nw.
- the Smini-nw seems to have minimal greens at the lower levels (moonlight - low - ), in comparison my H1-nw looks pure white, i.e. without greens at any level but also without any warm side to it. i expected a warmer tint but nw is not ww so how could i complain. am wondering what H1-cw looks like lol. in any case, i like the tint performance. non-greenish on all levels, that's quite something. And i do like pure white CW-tints, even though this one is supposed to be a NW-tint.
- the beam is diffuse, of course. no defined real hotspot. perfect for close-range application, goodie good-good!
- switch is great, UI too. a rich and very clever UI. failsafe, easier, more natural and practical and hence more likable imho than Zebralight UI.
- what i really dig: are the 5 brightness levels. FIVE (moonlight - low - med - hi - turbo), a lot to choose from! it ensures that i get the "optimal" brightness level when i take the light from my drawer. typically med is enough, also with good runtimes and no heat build-up. for longer runtimes i could turn it down to low. if i really need hi brightness, then i could go there too. the 3min turbo is never needed, so it's good not to have it in the regular sequence of low - med - hi. very clever UI, i luv it!!
- the light is super light-weight, same as ZL
- the case is sturdier than expected and a perfect container which i wouldnt want to miss. previously i stored my headlamp mounted on a headband in a small transparent tütchen to keep the headband tidy. i certainly prefer the olight case now.
- i removed all stuff from inside the case including the clip. i stored the clip away. nice to have but i doubt that i will ever use it. quality of the clip is soso/reasonable, not as good as any Fenix clip quality. doesn't matter though.
- when i opened the case for the first time, i had to lol. i didn't expect the light to be that tiny. has the exact same footprint as Smini, the body diameter seems even smaller, crazy! (EDIT: Smini body diameter 20.00mm, H1 body diameter 19.50mm) This has to be the very smallest 16340 headlamp on the market. Definitely smaller than ZL!
- i have/had a total of 6 headlamps incl ZL and AT but always avoided using them whenever possible. not anymore. i bought the H1-nw so that i won't feel like that anymore but grab the headlamp without hesitation when handsfree op is required. H1 invites to let me do so. From now on i will make use of headlamps with enjoyment and higher frequency and regularity than ever before. a new era has begun, thanks to olight.
- i don't know about brightness regulation and energetic or lumens efficiency. if there comes a comparison review between ZL and H1 proving which model is more efficient, i simply wont read it. ignorance is bliss. to me this model is already the winner in every respect, ahead of ZL. olight has taken the lead in the 16340 flashlight and headlight realm, seems like.
- let's not forget the availability of official olight distributors around the globe, amazon, and the crazy 5years warranty!!
- yeah, sure i wouldn't mind a micro-USB charging port.
- i would also prefer a version in brushed stainless steel.
- maybe i'll tape my H1 with some gaffa tape for scratch protection ;)
- i didn't check standby current drain
- i am now a big fan of the H1! i will not buy the rechargeable version H1R, 1 headlamp for occasional use is enough for me. but i would luv a SS edition of the H1. 90°-lights in SS or Ti are an absolute rarity on the market!

Congratulations to Olight on this fantastic release.

I will not buy any Zebralight again. I sold all my ZL's, kept only the SC52w, and i get more joy out of an Olight package. 5 years warranty. Just crazy!

Last edited:

Olightworld

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. I'm glad that all things considered you are a fan of the light. We haven't had any come back to us so I will take that as a good sign. The silicone is not effected by water so you can wash the headband with it still on by just throwing it in the wash and leaving it to air dry. I do agree with your point. The H1 just makes you want to wear a headlamp even if you never were used to it before.

Enjoy the light and we appreciate your support as always!

sorry i didnt read anything here in the thread but this is good since my following take/impressions are completely unbiased, random thoughts about my H1-nw:

- the headstrap/headband is too small in circumference. it just fits okay on my head but so many ppl have bigger heads. i've lucked out, so i shouldn't complain.
- how do i wash the headband? btw there is no way to remove the rubber holder.
- the o-ring is super thin and is not seated deeply in a groove. since the light is so small in dimensions, it was probably not possible to machine a deeper groove. i lost the oring when i unwinded the rubber holder with the tailcap removed; later on i found the lost oring somewhere. i guess we ought to keep the tailcap on when fiddling with the rubber holder
- there is no accessory bag with spare orings wtf
- some protected 16340 don't fit, for example Keeppower 16340
- the tailcap magnet .. is it that dark thin ring? let's hope that it doesn't break/crack after a few flashlight drops
- the light is not as bright as Smini-nw.
- the Smini-nw seems to have minimal greens at the lower levels (moonlight - low - ), in comparison my H1-nw looks pure white, i.e. without greens at any level but also without any warm side to it. i expected a warmer tint but nw is not ww so how could i complain. am wondering what H1-cw looks like lol. in any case, i like the tint performance. non-greenish on all levels, that's quite something. And i do like pure white CW-tints, even though this one is supposed to be a NW-tint.
- the beam is diffuse, of course. no defined real hotspot. perfect for close-range application, goodie good-good!
- switch is great, UI too. a rich and very clever UI. failsafe, easier, more natural and practical and hence more likable imho than Zebralight UI.
- the light is super light-weight, same as ZL
- the case is sturdier than expected and a perfect container which i wouldnt want to miss. previously i stored my headlamp mounted on a headband in a small transparent tütchen to keep the headband tidy. i certainly prefer the olight case now.
- i removed all stuff from inside the case including the clip. i stored the clip away. nice to have but i doubt that i will ever use it. quality of the clip is soso/reasonable, not as good as any Fenix clip quality. doesn't matter though.
- when i opened the case for the first time, i had to lol. i didn't expect the light to be that tiny. has the exact same footprint as Smini, the body diameter seems even smaller, crazy! (EDIT: Smini body diameter 20.00mm, H1 body diameter 19.50mm) This has to be the very smallest 16340 headlamp on the market. Definitely smaller than ZL!
- i have/had a total of 6 headlamps incl ZL and AT but always avoided using them whenever possible. not anymore. i bought the H1-nw so that i won't feel like that anymore but grab the headlamp without hesitation when handsfree op is required. H1 invites to let me do so. From now on i will make use of headlamps with enjoyment and higher frequency and regularity than ever before. a new era has begun, thanks to olight.
- i don't know about brightness regulation and energetic or lumens efficiency. if there comes a comparison review between ZL and H1 proving which model is more efficient, i simply wont read it. ignorance is bliss. to me this model is already the winner in every respect, ahead of ZL. olight has taken the lead in the 16340 flashlight and headlight realm, seems like.
- let's not forget the availability of official olight distributors around the globe, amazon, and the crazy 5years warranty!!
- yeah, sure i wouldn't mind a micro-USB charging port.
- i would also prefer a version in brushed stainless steel.
- maybe i'll tape my H1 with some gaffa tape for scratch protection ;)
- i didn't check standby current drain
- i am now a big fan of the H1! i will not buy the rechargeable version H1R, 1 headlamp for occasional use is enough for me. but i would luv a SS edition of the H1. 90°-lights in SS or Ti are an absolute rarity on the market!

Congratulations to Olight on this fantastic release.

I will not buy any Zebralight again. I sold all my ZL's, kept only the SC52w, and i get more joy out of an Olight package. 5 years warranty. Just crazy!