Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

im in for anything prometheus.
EN 219 yes!.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic

That is an ingenious idea and it seems so obviously ideal for a keychain light.
I would like them to be made in raw metal rather than with coatings, which is my preference for all keychain lights so that when they mark up, the marks are not obvious and can easily be buffed.

If you offer these in raw Al, Ti, Cu or Brass then I'll definitely be taking some.

EDIT: Sorry, I see that you would offer one in SS. That would be fine for me and I'd very likely buy one.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Enlightened

I would like one in stainless...What type of driver will this light use? Will it use PWM?

damn_hammer

Enlightened

what happened to the pics? am curious what this looks like, but don't see anything. the 219 definitely works for me in the aaa key chain format. have a ti preon that was modded w/219 and really enjoy the cri/tint/beam shape in everyday use.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be in for one

JJohn

Enlightened

Looks very interesting. I have one custom AAA light with the 219 and the light output is beautiful. Any chance you could add a trit slot or two to a version of this light? I like the idea of moonlight and a moderately high mode.

Last edited:

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened

I'd be in for one

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1. a nichia 219 moonlight!.

Looks very interesting. I have one custom AAA light with the 219 and the light output is beautiful. Any chance you could add a trit slot or two to a version of this light? I like the idea of moonlight and a moderately high mode.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened

In house version for me I think. Looks really nice! Will go nice with the pen when it arrives :)

nbp

Flashaholic
SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

I have to say, the idea of them being produced in China by some other flashlight maufacturer lessens my initial interest some. I would be inclined to get one turned by you, or else not get one. It significantly decreases the appeal of a Custom design to me if Fenix (or whoever) is making them.

At least with the RM line it is a small local machine shop cutting them under guidance and direction of you, the designer.

Just my thoughts. Don't flame me friends.

samuraishot

Enlightened

Hey all, thanks for the responses so far! To answer a few questions:

1. UI is a twisty with no memory, moonlight is always first
  2. These will utilize an off-the-shelf QR but I've selected a "better made" one from the given options. The body will also be machined with tighter tolerance than the normal receptacle on a QR keychain. It will be a tad loose but not sloppy like the keychain QRs you might already own.
  3. The QR itself is fixed in size but it might be possible to get a smaller ring. Right now it's a standard 1" size ring that is already on your keys...or this one can replace whatever you have now. Going smaller makes it incredibly difficult to separate the ring segments to load/unload the ring...unless you go with really poor quality material. I do have one trick up my sleeve but I don't know if it will make it to production or not :)
  4. No idea on the run time, but it will be on par with any standard single AAA light
  5. Price will be "reasonable" ... probably around $60 but they will be made by a reputable flashlight manufacturer in China, not in my shop. I may have an "in house" version but that will be (if it happens) around double the price.

Great design!

Can I test (or purchase) one of your prototypes?

I'm a neighbor in MV too :sssh: :thumbsup:

archer6817j

Enlightened

I have to say, the idea of them being produced in China by some other flashlight manufacturer lessens my initial interest some. I would be inclined to get one turned by you, or else not get one. It significantly decreases the appeal of a Custom design to me if Fenix (or whoever) is making them.

At least with the RM line it is a small local machine shop cutting them under guidance and direction of you, the designer.

Just my thoughts. Don't flame me friends.

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't particularly want to do it either, but I do want to be able to pay my rent. The other complication is purchasing the components like the lens, reflector, and driver. Having all of those custom made is prohibitive and would easily become a $200+ AAA light. So, to have a reasonable price point, the only choice is to manufacture across the pond. I'm 1/2 Chinese though, so I hope I get at least 50% latitude in manufacturing over there :)

Part of my negotiation is to get a limited number of component sets so I can do some "in house" lights...probably some more exotic materials. However, the availability of those components is contingent upon me placing much larger order for finished lights. I've realized it will basically be impossible to make a living selling house-made lights. I'd have to charge $400 for a Ready-Made and $600 for a Blue-Label...which would be the retail price following standard markup practices.

Sorry for the long winded answer :) I've given this a lot of thought, changed my mind several times, and it looks like this is just the way it has to happen.

Robe

Enlightened
SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

I am interested!