Prometheus Lights: AAA Beta-QR LIVE on Kickstarter

nbp

Flashaholic
SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't particularly want to do it either, but I do want to be able to pay my rent. The other complication is purchasing the components like the lens, reflector, and driver. Having all of those custom made is prohibitive and would easily become a $200+ AAA light. So, to have a reasonable price point, the only choice is to manufacture across the pond. I'm 1/2 Chinese though, so I hope I get at least 50% latitude in manufacturing over there :)

Part of my negotiation is to get a limited number of component sets so I can do some "in house" lights...probably some more exotic materials. However, the availability of those components is contingent upon me placing much larger order for finished lights. I've realized it will basically be impossible to make a living selling house-made lights. I'd have to charge $400 for a Ready-Made and $600 for a Blue-Label...which would be the retail price following standard markup practices.

Sorry for the long winded answer :) I've given this a lot of thought, changed my mind several times, and it looks like this is just the way it has to happen.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the thorough reply. :)

I certainly understand where you're coming from, and I meant no disrespect by my previous post. In fact, I wasn't sure if I should comment on it at all, but since you wanted feedback on the idea, I thought I would mention what I felt was an important point of differentiation between these and your current offerings.

I can totally see what you mean. By way of comparison, those of us who ordered one of Enrique's Aeon Mk. IIs recently had to shell out over $400 for one, due to all the factors you mentioned. Some of us will pay it, most will not. I know that such high pricing is not your goal, and we appreciate that.

I am confident that no matter where your lights are manufactured, you will demand high quality product, and I know these will be lovely and reliable lights. But a bit of the "allure" perhaps, is lost in the process, IMHO when something is sent overseas.

I hope that makes sense and that it came out as I intended it: as an observation and not a criticism. I admire your designs, and I love my Alpha RM. I do hope you keep creating, and I hope to pick up one of your pens soon as well, and maybe one of these too if you do a run in house. ;)

Cheers!

kpants

Newly Enlightened
Re: SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

I would certainly pick up one of these... and the pen when it's available!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i was actually looking at buying the 'Torpedo' by MBI. so close, but now will hold out for this.
thanks.

SurlyDave

Newly Enlightened

I am also interested in the EN model.

Already waiting in line for an Alpha blue label.

melty

Newly Enlightened

I am interested in seeing this light make it to production! :twothumbs

Rees

Enlightened

SS one looks cool. Any chance of other materials.... say copper :whistle:

KarstGhost

Enlightened

I'm interested in an electroless nickel version!

Raze

Enlightened

Definitely want!

Gadgetman7

Enlightened

I'd like to see runtimes and a little brighter low. Perhaps 5 lumens would work. However, I'd be likely to buy a SS version. Better in titanium though.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1. yes, this has to be above the rest what we presently have at the moment.
make it way different like we know you will.
thanks.

I'd like to see runtimes and a little brighter low. Perhaps 5 lumens would work. However, I'd be likely to buy a SS version. Better in titanium though.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh Yeah, I like it. Awesome idea, I like the quick release (I didn't think of it first) :eek:oo:

scout24

Flashaholic

Two, please. Assuming the moonlight mode stays part of the ui. I'll be checking back in! These look really nice.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Definitely interested. EN Plated or HA from outsourced location would work.

Preference (for me) would be for a Ti one made by you in your shop.

Interest in 1 outsourced and 1 made by you.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Anyone that is local (Mountain View, CA) and wants to stop by and see my samples is welcome to do so. Just email me to set up a time: [email protected]

I also updated to first post to reflect the "current" feature list. I don't expect any significant changes...but I reserve the right :) a

Several people have commented here and on my blog about the security of the QR feature. I've been using a QR for about 6 years. The design has been around for decades. Ask every maintenance supervisor on the planet. I've never had an accidental detachment. If I don't worry about losing my keys, I'm not going to worry about losing my (much less important) flashlight :) I do see the point however, so if anyone else has experiences, feel free to weigh in.

Taschenlampe Dude

Newly Enlightened

I'd be interested in an EN with true moonlight mode.