Prometheus Lights: AAA Beta-QR LIVE on Kickstarter

naynoes

Newly Enlightened
SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

They look amazing. I'm very interested!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

That is an ingenious idea and it seems so obviously ideal for a keychain light.
I would like them to be made in raw metal rather than with coatings, which is my preference for all keychain lights so that when they mark up, the marks are not obvious and can easily be buffed.

If you offer these in raw Al, Ti, Cu or Brass then I'll definitely be taking some.
Another plea for more non-coated lights which when scratched will not be showing bare metal underneath. Copper lights are very popular now, but I would prefer bronze, which has great color, but is also much tougher than copper.

Esko

Enlightened

If you are interested in seeing this light make it to production, please post a comment below!

The things I like:

• stainless steel
  • moonmode
  • simple ui without memory, moonmode first
  • Nichia 219 high cri 4500K
  • price (in par with some non-custom stainless steel flashlights)

The things I don't like:

• only 2 modes; 70 lm from 219 means less than 1 hour runtime. Due to versatility, I would ad a third mode at 5-10 lumens

Mixed about:

• Quick release only. I guess I am a bit paranoid when it comes to losing stuff :shrug: (but it makes the light quite unique)

Needs to know more

• The driver (pwm/cc, efficiency etc...)

:thumbsup:

i was actually looking at buying the 'Torpedo' by MBI. so close, but now will hold out for this.
thanks.

Prometheus AAA and MBI Torpedo will be two very different flashlights.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

why didn't i think of that?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

The things I like:

• stainless steel
  • moonmode
  • simple ui without memory, moonmode first
  • Nichia 219 high cri 4500K
  • price (in par with some non-custom stainless steel flashlights)

The things I don't like:

• only 2 modes; 70 lm from 219 means less than 1 hour runtime. Due to versatility, I would add a third mode at 5-10 lumens

Mixed about:

• Quick release only. I guess I am a bit paranoid when it comes to losing stuff :shrug: (but it makes the light quite unique)

Needs to know more

• The driver (pwm/cc, efficiency etc...)
  • While reading your post I was thinking that I could have happily hit on all the same points, and strongly agree about the happy addition of the moonmode, but sadly lacking 5-10 lumen range, which would cover almost everything, leaving moonmode and high only for the times they were necessary.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hi folks,

Just a quick update. I checked one of my samples in my integrating sphere and the low mode is actually around 10 lumens. Maybe 8 with the 219. I think this is still pretty usable. Original post updated to reflect this.

My hope is to stick with a two mode with the 10/60 lumen spread. I know I won't make everyone happy, but I'm also trying to come up with a solution that has the widest appeal and the most general usability. I hope to sell this light to a lot of "non-hardcore" flashlight folks as well, as an entry point into the high end flashlight market.

gunga

Flashaholic
SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

8 and 60 is workable! I'd like a non coated metal (stainless preferable).

Esko

Enlightened

Hi folks,

Just a quick update. I checked one of my samples in my integrating sphere and the low mode is actually around 10 lumens. Maybe 8 with the 219. I think this is still pretty usable. Original post updated to reflect this.

My hope is to stick with a two mode with the 10/60 lumen spread. I know I won't make everyone happy, but I'm also trying to come up with a solution that has the widest appeal and the most general usability. I hope to sell this light to a lot of "non-hardcore" flashlight folks as well, as an entry point into the high end flashlight market.

So, no low-low at all, just an ordinary low (and not especially low as such either). Fair enough, it is probably a good choice for many customers and good for many purposes. And now that I read it again, it looks like there was no promise of stainless steel either, although one of the prototypes was made of it. Perhaps as an in-house version? A BeCu light would be nice and the material would compliment the tint, too.

The Nichia emitter is still very appealing and the (provisional patent) quick release makes it pretty unique. A nice light! I am sure it will be popular but my wait for the ultimate keychain EDC will continue. I find it strange that AFAIK there is no AAA light with 3 distinctively different power settings. No factory made, no custom made. It is very rare in AA format, too. The only one that comes to mind is Thrunite T10.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in. I love my Prometheus Ready-Made and will support Jason. I like the EN finish and I like SS for keychain lights. The quick release key chain is very clever. I'm still not convinced that a Nichia 219 is the right emitter for an AAA light, but you can't go wrong by jumping on the band wagon. Same with copper - useful if you throw in a 10440 Li-ion because it conducts the heat and it is a very popular item right now.

melty

Newly Enlightened

So, no low-low at all, just an ordinary low (and not especially low as such either). Fair enough, it is probably a good choice for many customers and good for many purposes. And now that I read it again, it looks like there was no promise of stainless steel either, although one of the prototypes was made of it. Perhaps as an in-house version? A BeCu light would be nice and the material would compliment the tint, too.

The Nichia emitter is still very appealing and the (provisional patent) quick release makes it pretty unique. A nice light! I am sure it will be popular but my wait for the ultimate keychain EDC will continue. I find it strange that AFAIK there is no AAA light with 3 distinctively different power settings. No factory made, no custom made. It is very rare in AA format, too. The only one that comes to mind is Thrunite T10.

There are a number of currently available AAA lights with 3 (or more) power settings.

Klarus Mi X6
Olight i3s (and earlier generations)
Titanium Innovations Illuminati
Foursevens Preon P1
Nitecore T2s
Tank007 E09

Not to mention the holy grail of AAA lights, the LiteFlux LF2XT!

Options become endless once you move to AA... unless you mean exactly 3 power settings (in which case the options are only slightly less endless). Eagletac, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Foursevens, etc. all offer AA lights with full user interfaces.

That being said, the tiniest of AAA lights do seem to be limited to 2 modes which I'm okay with for keychain duty. A DQG AAA or Preon P0 sized light with 3 modes would be welcome though. :)

Back on topic. The Prometheus AAA looks fantastic. Nichia 219, EN plating, quick-release... all unique features in its class. It's a must-buy for me! :thumbsup:

Esko

Enlightened

There are a number of currently available AAA lights with 3 (or more) power settings.

You missed the part "distinctively different modes". Or, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I meant three modes that are clearly for different situations, with at least a 10-fold difference in lumens, starting with a sub-lumen firefly. It could be something like 0,2 lm - 4 lm - 60 lm. If you add compact size, tough and solid materials and good quality (including the driver), you have the light that I mean. :thumbsup:

Well, I'd prefer "slow release" anyway. Prometheus AAA looks like a nice light. Perhaps another Dark Sucks product some other day. It could also cost clearly more than $60. :sssh: :naughty: ;)

melty

Newly Enlightened

You missed the part "distinctively different modes". Or, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I meant three modes that are clearly for different situations, with at least a 10-fold difference in lumens, starting with a sub-lumen firefly. It could be something like 0,2 lm - 4 lm - 60 lm. If you add compact size, tough and solid materials and good quality (including the driver), you have the light that I mean. :thumbsup:

Well, I'd prefer "slow release" anyway. Prometheus AAA looks like a nice light. Perhaps another Dark Sucks product some other day. It could also cost clearly more than $60. :sssh: :naughty: ;)

That's definitely more clear and narrows down your selection immensely, although at least one of those lights comes very close to your criteria (medium is a bit too high).

I missed the part about no moonlight mode. Is there still no possibility of that? I would love to see it added even as a third mode with Low-High-Moon rotation (still has broad appeal). Providing the option between Moon-High or Low-High might be too much trouble. How about making a couple of different drivers available for a premium or for those who wish to modify their own lights? Just throwing out some possibilities.

d.2.the.p

Newly Enlightened

I'd be in for one of each. 3 modes (moonlight, low, high) would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Just having my favorite LED in AAA format is enough to sell me. My Eigers could use some new friends.

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened

VERY interested in seeing how this project develops