Surefire tactician

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that will be easy enough, it will be e tail compatible right?

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Heh...I suggested he should have Malkoff make the light in the comment section of a couple of his videos. I tried to tell him how the new Surefires aint like the old ones and have GLUED on heads. Everyone totally ignored me.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I guess this should be interpreted as "no": ...

My first reaction was to say this seems shortsighted, but I think it's rather part of a well-planned effort to end consumer-level LEGO'ing of their lights. This one, in particular, but really all their lights, are designed for a specific purpose. Given the loss of government contracts, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of a pivot toward the Flasaholic market, but I don't think we'll see that after a decade of market strategy moving away from us. To Surefire's mind, and, I'm sure, Yeager's, this light is perfect for its purpose and no mods are needed or desirable. As someone pointed out above, the market this was made for doesn't play LEGO or white-wall hunt, so I don't think we should be too surprised at the lack of interchangeability.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I see your point KentuckyMike but SF doesn't really make them as bombproof anymore do they? Malkoff's superior potting jobs would seem to play to the Military/Police market.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I see your point KentuckyMike but SF doesn't really make them as bombproof anymore do they? Malkoff's superior putting jobs would seem to play to the Military/Police market.

I won't argue that one bit. In fact, I've just finished selling off most of my SFs and building my Malkoff collection. (The last straw for me was the "end of support" for the Incan lights, but build quality, lack of Li-ion compatibility, and lack of innovation (post-PK) all fed into that.) But for this light, Yeager probably chose this format over the larger 1" to favor carryability and concealability for CCW, off-duty- and undercover. I'm sure "bombproof" and overbuilt weren't part of the design requirements. Neither was "what will make the flashlight geeks and EDC crowd happy?" :)

Unfortunately, the "glued on heads" are probably a benefit in the military and police supply world. Most of these folks need a light to make light, they aren't repairing anything or using modular parts, and the ability for things to come apart/get lost/be reassembled incorrectly is a liability. They've accepted the disposable culture. We're very much a sliver of the market, I think.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just thinking there is no reason that a 'Yeager Light' couldn't be made from Malkoff's MDC host.

A Malkoff MDC 16650 with a high/low ring in the head would be a direct (and superior)competitor. Unfortunately, Gene does not currently offer such a device.

When Yeager was originally begging SF to build the tactician, I wondered why he didn't just use an Elzetta Bravo or a Malkoff MD2, which would tick nearly all of his boxes, but then I realized it's about form factor.

The tactician is Malkoffesque, but is unique in its combination of size and features.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My first reaction was to say this seems shortsighted, but I think it's rather part of a well-planned effort to end consumer-level LEGO'ing of their lights. This one, in particular, but really all their lights, are designed for a specific purpose. Given the loss of government contracts, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of a pivot toward the Flasaholic market, but I don't think we'll see that after a decade of market strategy moving away from us. To Surefire's mind, and, I'm sure, Yeager's, this light is perfect for its purpose and no mods are needed or desirable. As someone pointed out above, the market this was made for doesn't play LEGO or white-wall hunt, so I don't think we should be too surprised at the lack of interchangeability.

Eggs-Zackly!!

Except that SureFire don't do domesticated pitbulls.
Lot's of things changed post flashaholic engineer PK. But like Elzetta, they go for a niche market, along with a more business oriented approach.

PK had the luxury of trying stuff while SureFire gained momentum in an upcoming market. He had a flashaholic approach that eventually allowed SureFire to become a gigantic flashlight supplier through some big $ contracts, but not after many years of effort that most are not aware of.
They take a conservative approach anymore, for a lot of reasons. And the flashion industry is not on their list of goals. Actually it never was, yet flashion decided SureFire was in vogue anyway.

This light is going to be a winner in terms of its intended market. Bringing back some old school approach with a modern output. My first thought wasn't MD2 but an Elzetta Bones with a low setting. Only no clicky option. Pure stealth with a low output feature.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless. This light seems simply like a Defender, updated with an LED...Not exactly revolutionary. And since he's involved, definitely not interested.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a close-up picture from the YT thumbnail:
maxresdefault.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless. This light seems simply like a Defender, updated with an LED...Not exactly revolutionary.

I suppose it depends on the environment and the mission distance.

The UI is the biggest update, not the emitter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless.

Book em Dano. Thanks for the tip.

I was wondering about the max vision thing, pondering a self blinder in any discernable amount of smoke or high humidity in outdoor use, or lighting me up when used indoors.

I wonder if at least there's a gap between the light and the beam from the standpoint of the other end of the beam. Some lights have a separation of what is seen from the downstream end that does not allow the torsoe of the user to be lit.
IMG_20170924_095859.jpg

I purposely tried to mask the light so as to not cast aspersions on the company who made it.

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxvision is horrible for any "tactical" use, and I have tried one working at night, in a law enforcement capacity. The wide, almost non-throw beam is useless. This light seems simply like a Defender, updated with an LED...Not exactly revolutionary. And since he's involved, definitely not interested.
I disagree with this, but there are many pros and cons to the maxvision beam. I don't think you can say it's horrible for all "tactical" use. Stopping a group of 15 people I would love a beam pattern that let's me see everyone at once without moving my light around. I often use triples which I believe have a similar beam pattern. Also the UI is the biggest update here.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first surefire that I am considering to buy in a long time, the ui is really nice, with two modes.

What I am not totally enamored with is the low is too low for this reflector and the high is most probably rated down to surefires "tactical" output. I would rather a higher usable low and a lower but constant lumens (longer runtime) on high.

Otherwise the size, floody beam and ui are perfect for edc use.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first surefire that I am considering to buy in a long time, the ui is really nice, with two modes.

What I am not totally enamored with is the low is too low for this reflector and the high is most probably rated down to surefires "tactical" output. I would rather a higher usable low and a lower but constant lumens (longer runtime) on high.

Otherwise the size, floody beam and ui are perfect for edc use.

I hope this UI becomes available on other SF lights. Add in a choice of beam tint, perhaps a high CRI version, and boom, I'm a Surefire fan for the first time in a decade.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this UI becomes available on other SF lights. Add in a choice of beam tint, perhaps a high CRI version, and boom, I'm a Surefire fan for the first time in a decade.
Yeah, that won't happen. Lol. I'm surprised they did this light. Yeager is a surefire fan for sure even though he doesn't know lights all that well. I still feel this is the best UI surefire offers now. I am not afraid to say the surefires of today are total crap! Made by people who don't use lights anymore. It's all about production. It really pains me to say that. Lol.

As for a maxvision beam not being good for tactical use, well, it could go either way. Indoors it will be wonderful. Outdoors, well we will just have to see when they arrive.