Zebralight SC64w HI

markr6

Flashaholic
I haven't had any damage since ZL started using more pins. Specifically the 3 vs 5 pins; not the slightest dent with the 5-pin version.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Yeah, the SC600w HI and Plus I bought this year have them on both ends. I just figured they were going that way with all new lights. I guess not. I'm not sure why they need the tail pins on the 600w HI, since it has the same max output as the 64w HI, so current should be the same.

Heh. Yeah, I've only dropped onto concrete one light with pogo pins on both ends. No damage to the battery, but the bezel got a small chip. All my other drops were on much softer surfaces.

I was doing this for awhile:

hIrCL09.jpg

But I found it made charging more difficult, so I gave up on it.

I've read around here that the SC600 draws more current, hence the pins. Larger and deeper reflector needs more lumens to maintain the same output as the smaller lights, due to losses caused by reflector and lens. Notice they have a shorter runtime for the same brightness, compared to the SC64w for example.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read around here that the SC600 draws more current, hence the pins. Larger and deeper reflector needs more lumens to maintain the same output as the smaller lights, due to losses caused by reflector and lens. Notice they have a shorter runtime for the same brightness, compared to the SC64w for example.

I wouldn't trust the published specs too much on the Zebralight website. Sometimes they're too optimistic, sometimes not enough.

For example, I measure the max output as 1100 lumens on both the S600w HI and the SC64w HI. On the website, they're listed as 1300 and 1400, respectively.

I also measured the 600w MkIV HI run time on H2c (the highest regulated mode without PID), as 6.5 hours using a Sanyo GA battery. The website lists it as 5.6 hours. The website lists the SC64w HI as 6.3 hours, which is about what I think it should be if it uses the same driver. I haven't measured it yet, myself.

Anyway, I think they do use exactly the same driver. I could be wrong, but I'll wait until someone does some concrete measurements of the currents of the two lights.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't trust the published specs too much on the Zebralight website. Sometimes they're too optimistic, sometimes not enough.

For example, I measure the max output as 1100 lumens on both the S600w HI and the SC64w HI. On the website, they're listed as 1300 and 1400, respectively.

I also measured the 600w MkIV HI run time on H2c (the highest regulated mode without PID), as 6.5 hours using a Sanyo GA battery. The website lists it as 5.6 hours. The website lists the SC64w HI as 6.3 hours, which is about what I think it should be if it uses the same driver. I haven't measured it yet, myself.

Anyway, I think they do use exactly the same driver. I could be wrong, but I'll wait until someone does some concrete measurements of the currents of the two lights.

I totally agree, runtimes, current and lumens are very similar in both lights (I measured 1050lm)

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
I made a small comparison between SC600w IV HI and SC64w HI. Both lights with fully charged Sony VTC6 and at 21ºC

COMPARISON.jpg

I thought the difference would be smaller but the SC600w stays in turbo much longer, it also recovered full output when I turned on the fan, whereas the SC64w couldn't go back to 1000lm and stayed at 800lm even with the fan

I also notice differences between the PID, I read the head temperature from the SC600w at 52º when steppin down and the SC64w shows 46º, I'm trying to increase PID temperature but I can't notice any difference

I'll try to increase PID of the SC64w and repeat the test but now I can say that the SC600w has a much longer turbo time and can sustain 100lm more than the SC64w

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Very informative, anthon87! These graphs will be very useful for someone trying to decide if the smaller size of the SC64 is worth the loss of sustained output.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also notice differences between the PID, I read the head temperature from the SC600w at 52º when steppin down and the SC64w shows 46º, I'm trying to increase PID temperature but I can't notice any difference

Very interesting graphs. I also noticed that the SC64w HI doesn't get as hot as the SC600w HI. I haven't tried cranking up the PID temperature to see if it can compensate, but I'm not sure that would do much other than give a few more seconds of run time on max. Looks like you have already determined it doesn't so much at all.

When I was testing PID, I didn't think the SC600w MkIV HI could maintain much more than 300 lumens after it ramped down, but that was back in the summer so the ambient temperature was probably 10 degrees warmer than your test.

Mr. LED

Enlightened

I'd like to see the currents comparing both lights too.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently own a SC62w, and want to upgrade to either a SC64w or a SC64w HI, primarily for the programmable UI. From what I have read, there is not a big difference between the two. Is the HI version the better overall choice, for mostly indoor use?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently own a SC62w, and want to upgrade to either a SC64w or a SC64w HI, primarily for the programmable UI. From what I have read, there is not a big difference between the two. Is the HI version the better overall choice, for mostly indoor use?

SW64w HI advantages:

- Greater chance of getting a nice tint with no green or color shift across the beam. The XHP35 HI emitter is great for tint snobs.
- Slightly more throwy (11 degree hot spot).

SC64w advantages:
- Slightly more output (about an extra 100 lumens) on max.
- Slightly more floody (12 degree hot spot).

If this is mostly for indoors, and you don't mind a beam that isn't perfect for tint (all domed Cree emitters are like this), get the regular SC64w. If you're picky on tint (the domeless HI emitters are good for this), or plan to use it outdoors much, get the SC64w HI.

Overall, there isn't much difference, and both are good choices.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a SC64w HI, after about a year of EDC'ing the SC600 Mark III HI.

I got it simply to have a slimmer, lighter pocket-carry, and that's what I got.

It is not as powerful as the SC600 HI, and has less throw. And as I learned from some graphs up-thread, it maintains the high-mode for a considerably shorter time.

So it is less of a light. But it also takes up considerably less room in the pocket.

Even Zebralight cannot overcome that trade-off.

So for a while I am going to try the SC64 HI for pocket-carry, and put the SC600 HI in my bookbag where I can get it when I need more punch.

I'm satisfied. The SC64 HI is not a revolutionary improvement, esp. if you are coming from the SC600 HI. But it's good, and much smaller.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm satisfied. The SC64 HI is not a revolutionary improvement, esp. if you are coming from the SC600 HI. But it's good, and much smaller.

Yeah, I was expecting a smaller SC600w HI, but what I got was really a SC64w with a bit better tint and slightly more throw. I was dumb, but overall I still like it. It's certainly easier on the pocket than the SC600, but in winter it doesn't matter much because I'm carrying it in a coat pocket. It will probably prove more useful in summer.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my HI a few days ago. The HI still has some "Cree rainbow", but it is subdued. Compared to my SC62w, it has a lot less yellow in the hot spot, and less yellow/green in the corona. I did not encounter any electronic bugs. The switch cover is not leaking light. My new GA battery has not been crushed, so far. I installed the chrome clip from the SC62w onto the SC64w HI, for easier jeans pocket insertion and extraction.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Received my HI a few days ago. The HI still has some "Cree rainbow", but it is subdued. Compared to my SC62w, it has a lot less yellow in the hot spot, and less yellow/green in the corona. I did not encounter any electronic bugs. The switch cover is not leaking light. My new GA battery has not been crushed, so far. I installed the chrome clip from the SC62w onto the SC64w HI, for easier jeans pocket insertion and extraction.

The clip is one thing I hate about the new SC64 and others... I've retrofitted all my new lights with older clips.

markr6

Flashaholic
The clip is one thing I hate about the new SC64 and others... I've retrofitted all my new lights with older clips.

I bought a bunch of the old ones to "future proof" myself from the black, but I never got around to switching out my SC64w. At this point, I may just leave it since I mind so much anymore.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I bought a bunch of the old ones to "future proof" myself from the black, but I never got around to switching out my SC64w. At this point, I may just leave it since I mind so much anymore.

Too bad the old ones can't be found anymore...

When I got my SC64w I couldn't remove those lousy torx screws using the correct wrench. The head was stripped so I had to file a slot and use a screw driver to get them out. I was so mad at Zebralight...

Enlightened
My SC64w HI experiences the "turn off from H1" only occasionally. My guess is maybe one out of every 10 or 20 turn-ons.

When the bug happens, I can override it and get it to stay on in high, by clicking to turn the light off, then click-and-hold to get to low, then turning it off and then on again. It will come on in H1 and stay on.

I wanted to speak to this. I took the plunge and ordered one of these and out of the box I had this happen to me once after about half a dozen off-on clicks to H1. I tried 5-6 more times but it didn't reoccur. The next day I clicked off-on to H1 over 300 times over about 2 hours and I could not get it to happen again. I've now gone from off-H1 over 500 times now and it hasn't happened again.

Interestingly my SC62d which has been my desk side light for the past 4 1/2 years also turned off from H1 after clicking on about 2 weeks ago. It was the first time I'd ever seen that behavior.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Well I ordered one of these an an sc53w for myself for Christmas. Lets see how it is when it arrives. Hopefully fully functional, no glitches and with a good tint. Ive had good luck with that with the 6 zebras I have so far so we shall see...