New Inova X1?

IonFire

Enlightened
Re: new inova x1 at target

This is not the only light of thiers being retrofit.
I believe the other one coming is the T1 or X0, i dont remember but was mentioned in the 06 SHOT thread.

I look forward to a mix of both lights, i like the discreet beam of the optic and welcome a bit more flood, really welcome as another light, not changing what i already have.

Looking forward to tonight i bet.

I am lol.

IF

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a first pic... more to come later this evening.

IMG_2366a1.jpg

Paul6ppc

Enlightened

Any beam shots avail?? How about the output ?How many lumens. I had the old x1 and got rid of itt due to its beam. Loved the quality and size.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

What if you were to sand the led flat (like a MJLED) would the reflector help with throw? Or is the reflector a cone and not a parabolic dish? That wouldn't work then...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

looks pretty good... a nice sturdy flashlight at a good price. I want a black one. I wonder if these will come in colors.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened

I picked up a black one at my local Target today. I noticed that the packaging says it is a flashlight, not a spotlight. Very nice beam with good spill. Maybe it's just my imagination but the older model feels a little heavier and the case feels like it is thicker than the new one. Still a nice light though.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm heading out to the other Target to see if they have any of the darker 'black' X1s with the reflector.

With the reflective glass lens and the small reflector, it's hard to tell if the design is parabolic or just a straight cone. I'll be able to better tell once I get one apart.

I've done a few Minimags and a Solitaire with a Nichia CS (or Peak Snow 29) run direct on a LiON cell and I've been very happy with the results. If I can do an X1, with the reflector and get close to the brightness of those mods, I'll be VERY happy.

Honestly, I wonder what would happen if I just popped a 14500 cell in there. I mean, if it's a Nichia CS LED (and my guess is that it is a CS) we know the LED can take it. If the regulator changes from a boost to direct drive, it should be fine. I'd just hate to fry the circuit.

Hrmm... what to do... what to do...
thinking.gif

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

IsaacHayes said:
What if you were to sand the led flat (like a MJLED) would the reflector help with throw? Or is the reflector a cone and not a parabolic dish? That wouldn't work then...

But still... the so-called uncut MJLEDs would work fine... and they throw quite nicely... even without a reflector at all. That would work if you could get the voltage and current right. I still haven't tried an MJLED in the X1 yet, but with only 20ma, I wouldn't expect it to be even close to the output of the MJLED on 2 'conditioned' lithium cells.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul6ppc said:
Any beam shots avail?? How about the output ?How many lumens. I had the old x1 and got rid of itt due to its beam. Loved the quality and size.

I'll do beamshots tonight... I can't even guess at lumens though... somewhere between 5 and 10 is my estimation. The SMJLED on lithiums is supposed to be 15 lumens and this isn't that bright.

LouRoy

Enlightened

cratz2 said:
Honestly, I wonder what would happen if I just popped a 14500 cell in there. I mean, if it's a Nichia CS LED (and my guess is that it is a CS) we know the LED can take it. If the regulator changes from a boost to direct drive, it should be fine. I'd just hate to fry the circuit.

Hrmm... what to do... what to do...
thinking.gif

You already know the answer to that one. Inquiring minds want to know! :nana:

carrot

Flashaholic

Blindasabat said:
I've had beamshots of the L1P versus the new Inova X1 for a few days now since I got my new X1 a week ago, I just can't post them. If somebody is interested in getting them via email and posting them... I'm apparently too new to have "attachment" rights.
Blindasabat, try http://imageshack.us to upload images.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah... those beamshots are a good starting point. Might help to try them against a solid white background. because I suspect some of the brightness is lost in that corner.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

cratz2 said:
Yeah... those beamshots are a good starting point. Might help to try them against a solid white background. because I suspect some of the brightness is lost in that corner.

I'll try that, thanks for the advice. The walls and ceiling are both white, but the ceiling is rough textured and you are right about the corner.

And, the X1 is not quite as blue as it looks in the picture...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Blindasabat said:
I'll try that, thanks for the advice. The walls and ceiling are both white, but the ceiling is rough textured and you are right about the corner.

And, the X1 is not quite as blue as it looks in the picture...

Yeah... that's one of the reasons that a solid white surface is good at showing beam patterns and comparative brightness. I mean, I've never been the type to get hung up over some artifacts in the beam (which many 'white wall hunters' tend to do) but for showing beam patterns and tints, that solid white is the only way to go!

dtsoll

Enlightened

Just found out the Target 50 miles from here has the new ones, on the way there as soon as I'm done typing. I gotta get a life......................the wife is going with and she knows what I am buying there and she isn't throwing a fit, life is good!!!!!! Doug:)

IonFire

Enlightened

Many thanks Cratz2.

Looking forward still to tonight.

Did you use ball bearings under the lights to stabilize them for that picture?

IF

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

IonFire said:
Many thanks Cratz2.

Looking forward still to tonight.

Did you use ball bearings under the lights to stabilize them for that picture?

IF

Nope... itty bitty neodymium magnets! You can see one of them on the side of the light. It won't attract to the body of the light, but it will attract to the battery inside it.

Latest posts