A hat thread

idleprocess

Flashaholic
So, if I move to Texas I can wear a 10 gal like Big Hoss Cartwright wore on the Ponderosa.. Giddy-up!
In my experience cowboy hats aren't common in public in the population centers of the state.

Ive heard its against international law to wear a cowboy hat anywhere in the world except Texas unless you are a native Texan.
The count of native Texans is smaller than you might think - immigration is the prime driver of population growth rather over reproduction. I am myself a transplant having moved to the state more than 30 years ago.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Ive heard its against international law to wear a cowboy hat anywhere in the world except Texas unless you are a native Texan.

1658755424303.png

chip100t

Enlightened
I think there's a similar rule for sombreros.
It would be cultural appropriation, a surefire way to get cancelled 😂

fulee9999

Enlightened
That's not a cowboy hat, that's a cowboy hat.
View attachment 30125

Jockey Ewing just gave me a nostalgia induced brain freeze :D there was a tour with David Hasselhoff which was called "Celebrate the 80's and the 90's with the Hoff" and between performances there were small films about that timeperiod and in one of them the Dallas main theme came on with the narrator explaining the cultural effects of Dallas and people strarted singing the main theme... several thousand people sang a theme song that had no lyrics. It was unreal. But also one of the best nights of my life.

200.gif

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It would be cultural appropriation, a surefire way to get cancelled 😂
In some places, it could lead to an angry confrontation.
I'm currently looking for a certain article of clothing.
Found something that would honestly be ideal.
But my skin color isn't dark enough to wear it.
At least not without being angrly accused of cultural appropriation.
Not worth it getting into a potentially violent confrontation with some idiot out on the street.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if i wore a hat it would be coon skin hat. well a fake one. give people another reason to avoid me in line

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my complete outfit would be a members only jacket a adult diaper no pants my skin coon hat and doc martin boots

chip100t

Enlightened
The whole cultural appropriation issue is a joke. A couple of years ago a young white women posted some pictures of herself online wearing a beautiful traditional silk Chinese dress. She was trolled and accused of cultural appropriation. Also Jamie Oliver brought out a jerk dish and was accused of making money off of the backs of the slaves who hundreds of years ago created "jerk"

I was taught imitation is a form of flattery, but so many people now seem to look for an excuse to be offended.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
chip it is way worse in the states. im only offend if there intent was to offend me.

chip100t

Enlightened
Raggie, I think everyone has the right to an opinion and am happy to debate someone who's opinion differs from mine. And always remain polite and civil even when they may begin to be angered by the fact I have a different opinion from theirs. And if it gets to the point they then become abusive I just wish them all the best and end my conversation with them. I am not going to get upset by what someone else says or thinks on the internet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
1CBF5866-EF09-4D7D-A688-A4DC7A68B588.jpeg

Cultural appropriation? Who gives a flyin' flip?
Wife made me this crochet'd number with polar fleece liner a few years back.

A8DFAF90-7C57-4621-AC98-FCC198FCF31B.jpeg

A portion of my ball cap collection. If I had to guess I'd estimate there's about 200 at my house going back to the late 90's and about 500 at my dad's house going back to the 1980's.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back in 1998 I went to work for a consultant company. About 4 years later they gave me a pay raise and a ball cap. I stashed the ball cap in a closet.
F9BCFC9C-C59A-4333-85C3-13D935044409.jpeg

I wore it today for some reason.
The company is long since gone after the "kids" of the founders selling it for about 10 cents on the dollar of their then stock price. So one day at 9:45am my boss said we would be working for a new owner at 10:00am. Some 20 years later the hat is in better shape than I am.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been wanting to wear a hat more often now that its gotten cooler. Its something I definitely have to build up to tho. The fairly easy to pair colors but I still have to figure out what style of hat suits me & my face/build best. So far Ive been liking Homburgs & medium brimmed fedoras w. dented crowns. Wide brims (except for panama hats) dont seem to work well with my face, same with very narrow brims (like many trilbies). Ive found to prefer stiffer hats rather then floppy/soft ones (like the typical "indiana jones hat").

Homburgs are certainly a bit more formal, which is why I wear medium grey one ATM rather then black. That one also has a pinch, which is somewhat atypical for homburgs, but it certainly makes it a more versatile every-day hat. Im still looking for a brown one in a similar style. Of cause none of these hats should be worn without a suit & tie as well as appropriate shoes.

One nice "gadget" Ive found on amazon yesterday was a transparent plastic rain cover for hats. All hats, wool or fur, dont really like to get wet & can loose their shape. Ive ordered some and if these work & fit well it would certainly be incredibly useful. Since these covers can be folded very small its easy to always keep one in your coat or jacket when wearing a hat as to not be surprised by the rain. Also has the advantage of turning any hat into a rain hat.

71mN1IIe4jL._AC_UX679_.jpg