Gloves thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
With a visit by Jack Frost's nephew this moring it seemed like a good time to take stock of gloves in my work truck.
I found some stashed in the door, some tucked behind back seat and some jacket tossed behind the same seat.
91E73F85-5280-4BA6-A19E-9213CEC61562.jpeg

I think I'm set for fall, but what about winter?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!

Majestic elk skin gloves are probably the most comfortable gloves I have.
USA made Geier gloves are probably my favorite

Geier Gloves 748 are for the days you wake up ready to string barbed wire

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My dad had some elk skin, rabbit fir lined drivers similar to those 748's I have stashed in a safe. His hands were small so they're small but boy those things are nice.

Years ago I saw Nascar guys wearing mechanix gloves working on hot car parts to get a crashed car back in the race. I figured well, a thermos does hot or cold so.... and they worked well at keeping away the chill. Now they weren't very durable for work gloves. But the "impact" model was and a lot warmer in winter. I never really dug the wrist velcro thing. So when the fast fit arrived I went that route.

The durahide model is new to me so I don't know how well they'll keep the chill out. The "utility" ones with the fingers chopped off have been my driver gloves since about 2011 or so. They work great on cold, crisp mornings to scrape frost from windshields and such.

The top right are Cody James driver gloves. I have the chore grade in my shed and those are great. They aid grip like pine tar but are as supple as cotton gloves. Well worth the $20.

Not shown are some mechanix "cold" gloves that are fast fit thick with thin insulated lining and were my cold weather gloves last winter. They were surprisingly warm. Not Yukon weather warm but pretty good when a cloudy, 20 degree day proves where the gaps in insulation are.

I'll dig out my insulated chore gloves soon and see where those stand for this winter.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a firm believer in the original Mechanix gloves. Got a bunch of pairs all over the place in various stages of wear. The original velcro ones, the fast-fit ones, etc. Love them for driving, especially in winter. With a decent set of thin cotton liners under them you can do anything.

I bought a pair once from Walmart or Autozone, the velcro was non functioning. It was ridiculous. I had them around for awhile before I figured I'd either throw them out or contact Mechanix. I emailed them, they graciously sent me a new pair even though they think the ones I had might have been phonies.

I got the thick winter ones last year but they're a little too stiff. Hard to grasp stuff with, like the shovel when shoveling. Great for general winter wear though.

When I was real little, my dad always wore one particular pair of gloves that date from the mid 60's.... black deerskin mittens with separate index finger and a strap across the back that secured with a snap. I'd love to find a pair of those exact gloves.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a pair of Mechanix "cold" that were lightly insulated fast fit and man they were nice. Fast Fit dexterity with like 20grams of thinsulate style insulation. But one day they were gone. Sadly they don't make those anymore. Agreed the thick winter ones are just too bulky.

My local Ace hardware has Fast Fit style gloves for like $12/pair so I have those stuffed in jacket pockets.

When I tested a lot of concrete in winter I'd wear over sized rubber gloves over Mechanix gloves and my hands stayed nice and warm even though they got dipped in cold water a lot.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the boujee wanting Merican made gloves with Merican animals

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll admit to buying a 12 pack of brown jersey gloves for $10 at the beginning of winter and having pairs everywhere. A couple pairs of fleece, one good pair of "waterproof" with thinsulate for shoveling and pushing snow, general outdoor winter chores. I've driven through Centrailia, Wa. more than a few times, I may have to give them a call. Thanks for the link. 👍

raggie33

*the raggedier*
froze tonight on my motorcycle hard to find decent gloves that still allow me to use clutch and brake

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Electric gloves.

I think I told this story before but, one day in Hardees in my town Kyle Petty and several other Nascar guys riding across America for charity on motorcyles had stopped there for lunch and to warm up. Kyle and Rayford (from the John boy and Billy show) were discussing how cold they were. But Harry Gant didn't seem to be even though he just had on coveralls and a jacket. Rayford asked him "aren't you cold Harry?" to which he replied "nah, but my electric gloves are burning my knuckles some".

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gloves... now I can relate 🤣

Thinsulate, Hatch friskmasters & Hi-Vis work gloves live in my duty bag and I keep aside a nice pair of cut resistant Mechanix for automotive and general yard work, cold fingers just demoralise the rest of your body 😉

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't heated handlebar grips be easier than heated gloves?
Heated grips only warm the parts that are in contact with them, if you are riding in cold conditions they don't keep your hands warm, that was my experience riding in below freezing conditions, heated jacket and gloves are the way to go for cold weather riding. How cold does it get in your part of Oz?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i just went fora bike ride to try some photos its like 28f a course some genuis had there sprinklers on lol. should be a fun scene in the am. as always only my hands was cold..

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just some cloth gloves the brown kind they help a bit. if i was smarter smarter id just wait to its more warmer before my rides lol