Gloves thread

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
That's 100 grams? Wow! Not bad.

That's what they claim, on that model from Kinco. Pretty thin stuff, actually. My own preference would be for 2x to 3x that amount of insulation, at least for gloves intended to be used in sub-0ºF temps.

I'm fairly impressed with how quickly they broke in, and how flexible the cowhide has ended up. The first 4-5 days of wearing them, I was noting the "sausage fingers" feeling ... they were stiff to the point of needing to deliberately squeeze the fingers down to complete a fist. Now, they're perfect.

Though, as you say, bulkiness is a potential problem. But I would think, with the various textile mixes they're capable of, that it can't be very hard to put a decent amount of insulation in that'll still allow for good articulation.

Some models of gloves are essentially a 5-fingered glove inside of a mitt. From the outside, they look like mitts, but they've got more insulation and ought to be warmer. Assuming they haven't over-done it and allow for reasonable dexterity. Haven't tried any of those, yet. But this cowhide model from Kinco seems sufficient. Quite comfortable, once broken-in.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool freind gave me a few pairs omg im so happy riding a motorcycle in the cold with them jersey cloth gloves i had sucked lol.. but the sad news i im wearing womans gloves lol hope what they say about hand size is a myth

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Wouldn't heated handlebar grips be easier than heated gloves?
They can be a big help, but when it's really cold they benefit greatly from handlebar gauntlets too. I always used a set that could be rolled back when it got warmer and pulled down when it's cold.
One unfortunate thing about the heated grips is that they work great at 20 above, but not even noticeable at -50 below.
Heat pad on the back of the thumb throttle is good too, but same limitations still lead to riding with thumb tucked inside the glove and using your palm on the throttle.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's what they claim, on that model from Kinco. Pretty thin stuff, actually. My own preference would be for 2x to 3x that amount of insulation, at least for gloves intended to be used in sub-0ºF temps.

I'm fairly impressed with how quickly they broke in, and how flexible the cowhide has ended up. The first 4-5 days of wearing them, I was noting the "sausage fingers" feeling ... they were stiff to the point of needing to deliberately squeeze the fingers down to complete a fist. Now, they're perfect.

Though, as you say, bulkiness is a potential problem. But I would think, with the various textile mixes they're capable of, that it can't be very hard to put a decent amount of insulation in that'll still allow for good articulation.

Some models of gloves are essentially a 5-fingered glove inside of a mitt. From the outside, they look like mitts, but they've got more insulation and ought to be warmer. Assuming they haven't over-done it and allow for reasonable dexterity. Haven't tried any of those, yet. But this cowhide model from Kinco seems sufficient. Quite comfortable, once broken-in.
When I tried on a Kinco it reminded me of those smooth leather gloves with the red lining from many years ago. Like 25 years ago. Haven't seen them for a long time. So I was definitely happy to try them.
All Tractor Supply had in men's was XL and the lining was black. They had some women's L so I gave them to Mrs Fixer who said they are too stiff for her liking. They fit my hand well but just need to be worn for a few hours like you said @pnwoutdoors.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
When I tried on a Kinco ... All Tractor Supply had in men's was XL and the lining was black. They had some women's L so I gave them to Mrs Fixer ...

Dang! XL, eh? I was pleased to find women's M. I figured all of the puny sizes would've been long gone, at my nearby shop.

About the only thing I'd change is the fairly eye-splattering yellow leather. They'd be much more attractive with a duller "deer" brown, IMO. Looking on the bright side, it's less likely I'll be struck by a passing vehicle. I guess that's something.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang! XL, eh? I was pleased to find women's M. I figured all of the puny sizes would've been long gone, at my nearby shop.

About the only thing I'd change is the fairly eye-splattering yellow leather. They'd be much more attractive with a duller "deer" brown, IMO. Looking on the bright side, it's less likely I'll be struck by a passing vehicle. I guess that's something.
one of my favorite products...

LRJ88

Enlightened
Smaller gloves perhaps?
I suffer a bit from large palm, short fingers syndrome.
For me, if the glove doesn't fit then I need to find a different glove that does. Either I blew the test-fit and my estimate of how snug they were to begin with, or they relaxed a bit more than I thought they might. Sadly, it's more art than science, so to speak.

About the only thing I've found is: a good-quality leather glove, with sufficient insulation and fit to make it fairly snug, knowing the leather will relax a tad during the first couple weeks' of wear. Even then, it's a bit of guesswork. Depends on how much relaxing the given gloves end up having. Depends on your estimation of how snug "snug" is, during the initial test-fit.

I suppose one could go with mitts, instead of 5-fingered gloves. That'll erase some of the exactness one expects from the fit of the individual fingers.

If you're looking to handle -30ºF, however, it's a glove that will have quite a bit of insulation and general thickness. That, alone, makes dexterity take a hit.
I've tried plenty of gloves of different types, mittens are a good idea but it restricts my fingers too much. My hands are naturally warm, but water and windchill still gets to me. You can see two pairs of my gloves below, the leather ones fit great but i've literally had them since i was 15, the others fit like baboon's behind but i don't worry about messing them up. The finger thing should show pretty well.
If the gloves feels a bit too big, I would recommend trying a pair of eczema gloves inside the glove.
Such as these:

Works great as "filler" inside the glove, and adds both insulation and ventilation to the hands.

Though at -30°F / -35°C, I would try mitts first, unless I needed the flexibility of gloves.
They don't feel too big, just like the fingers are too long. The attached pics should make it clear what i mean.

The fabric gloves here have 3 layers, the innermost layer is taut around my palm so downsizing won't work, at the same time my sausage nubs aren't long enough to quite fit all the fingers, only the index and middle finger.

Attachments

• IMG_7247.JPG
    IMG_7247.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7248.JPG
    IMG_7248.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7249.JPG
    IMG_7249.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7250.JPG
    IMG_7250.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7251.JPG
    IMG_7251.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7252.JPG
    IMG_7252.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 30

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I've been wearing the Kinco gloves around the house a few minutes here, a few minutes there. At first I could hardly turn a door knob with them on but now I can hold a cup, remove the cap from a bottle and stuff like that. I don't count on ever being able to button up a shirt or sew a button on said shirt with them due to how thick the insulation is.

The medium Ridge Cut goat skin drivers? I already can with those. The issue I have with those is sliding them on and off. It rakes about a minute (total) to get them on and once on quite a while to remove them. They feel custom made.

IMG_3192.jpeg

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
omg my new gloves rocked i cant wait to thank my freind she only lives here a few days a week while she builds a home i dont mean lives with me she lives on my street lol. i never had real gloves before. i rode to dothan alabama this am was like 35 degree and i ride a motorcycle. i was so happy. .... there perfect but im still sad i can wear womans gloves and my feet are only size 7 lol

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
omg my new gloves rocked i cant wait to thank my freind she only lives here a few days a week while she builds a home i dont mean lives with me she lives on my street lol. i never had real gloves before. i rode to dothan alabama this am was like 35 degree and i ride a motorcycle. i was so happy. .... there perfect but im still sad i can wear womans gloves and my feet are only size 7 lol
Hey Now...

(said just like howard stern)

LOLz

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i used to hate stern i felt he made money at the expense of others but became a fan when he was on AGT

bykfixer

Flashaholic
if it doesn't fit you must acquit...

LOLz

Ok two things there. Maybe 3....
1) They were custom made gloves. They fit tight on a naked hand. He was trying to slide them over grippy latex gloves. Of course they wouldn't just slide on like cloth store bought gloves.
2) If you notice he had his fingers spread apart, which makes a custom fit glove harder to put on.
3) When leather gets wet and not stretched over something it can shrink. Those "blood stained" gloves may have shrank some.

I have some tight fitting gloves that take a bunch of effort to put on then have to be pulled at the wrist to finish the effort. Fingers have to be close to each other. No way they'd slide on over latex gloves either. But man they sure fit nice.
Those gubment employed knuckleheads trying the case should have known that.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always on the lookout for gloves that will fit me properly. It seems that I have large thumbs which makes it difficult. I wear a large or XL glove in the first place and the best basic cold weather gloves I've found at a reasonable cost, are Wells Lamont fx3 cold weather. Good dexterity, reasonable warmth, relatively inexpensive. They won't do for extreme cold, but I have a pair of Hotfingers gloves for those occasions.
For spring and fall I wear Ringers mechanics gloves.
I'm actually shopping for a good pair of d3-a gloves with wool liners, they may give me enough room and warmth.

Last edited:

silat

Newly Enlightened
Ok two things there. Maybe 3....
1) They were custom made gloves. They fit tight on a naked hand. He was trying to slide them over grippy latex gloves. Of course they wouldn't just slide on like cloth store bought gloves.
2) If you notice he had his fingers spread apart, which makes a custom fit glove harder to put on.
3) When leather gets wet and not stretched over something it can shrink. Those "blood stained" gloves may have shrank some.

I have some tight fitting gloves that take a bunch of effort to put on then have to be pulled at the wrist to finish the effort. Fingers have to be close to each other. No way they'd slide on over latex gloves either. But man they sure fit nice.
Those gubment employed knuckleheads trying the case should have known that.
He also stopped taking his medication that made his hands swell up. His lawyers threw everything at the wall and it worked. He got away with a brutal vicious crime.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_2328.jpeg

After wearing the Ridge Cut goat skins during the drive to and from work for about a month, they have broken in nicely. They still fit like a custom would but are much easier to slide on and pull off.

Dexterity is amazing. Zippers and buttons are no issue.