A hat thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
9E445DC8-C357-42D5-ABEF-BF06D9382CDB.jpeg

My other brother Daryl has a buffalo skin hat that goes swell with his Walter Kronkite mustache.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yea this thread reminds me, I finally ordered a montecristi panama hat a few days ago. Wanted one of those for years, but could never justify the price. Since its only getting warmer I might as well. They're made to order so it'll probably be about a week until I get it. I have a cotton hat made by Mayser for the summertime that I bought a few years back but it never seems to go with anything.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Oh yea this thread reminds me, I finally ordered a montecristi panama hat a few days ago. Wanted one of those for years, but could never justify the price. Since its only getting warmer I might as well. They're made to order so it'll probably be about a week until I get it. I have a cotton hat made by Mayser for the summertime that I bought a few years back but it never seems to go with anything.

holy f... to be honest I never knew how much a cowboy hat would cost, but why does this cost several thousand dollars?!
and more importantly what do you do if it gets dirty...? For something this expensive I'd imagine it's more of an heirloom quality, but what do you do if it gets dirty over time...? I don't imagine you can just chuck it in the washing machine and have a go at it on normal wash cycle

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yesterday Mrs Fixer and I were out n about in the summer heat so we decided to soak up some ac from an overstock store where I found a checkered 80's bucket hat by a company called eighty eight clothing co.
BECCAF2F-F842-477F-A924-1CDA9F9ED24A.jpeg

$4, so why not?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
9BDC5C62-1373-4678-B492-E3CC34C88883.jpeg

My new favorite yard work hat.
I think they're called boonies(?) Anyway it was like $8 at one of those over stock stores back in the Spring. And with temps being July-like in my area I thought I'd try it out this weekend. Somehow it seems to be much cooler to wear than a vented baseball cap out in the heat. And it's dry in like 15 minutes.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boonies are my fav. You can rinse, ring and back to work in seconds. The old mil style are cotton duck, got better (loosened) with age.. Yours looks very breathable right from the get go.
Very cool indeed, nice score!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Keeps the sun off your neck, feels much cooler than a baseball cap.
I conceded to this reality a few years back for working outside.

I do find myself wanting a brimmed hat that can be worn as casually as a baseball cap, but such a thing does not seem to exist.