Gloves thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1874.jpeg

I took a walk last night wearing these goat skin gloves, while carrying a D cell flashlight that with bare hands tends to feel slippery. It seemed like there was contact cement on the barrel of the flashlight.
Goat skin gloves are a marvelous invention.

TIFisher

Newly Enlightened
To add: the ones above are large so they slip on/off my hands easily. All the extra finger length makes dexterity less than ideal so......

View attachment 53829
Got mediums that fit like custom gloves.
Takes effort to put them on and off but they sure feel nice.
If I may, where are you purchasing these gloves? I went looking for some in a couple of different TSC stores. They are the only brick and mortar retailers I know of that carry RidgeCut brand in my AO. TIA.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 4 favorites, for different purposes, are leather work gloves, heavy fleece gloves, deerskin shooter's gloves, and wool or fleece fingerless gloves. Many years ago, when I lived in Wisconsin, I had a pair of down mittens that were almost too warm, even in the coldest weather.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If I may, where are you purchasing these gloves? I went looking for some in a couple of different TSC stores. They are the only brick and mortar retailers I know of that carry RidgeCut brand in my AO. TIA.
Ridgecut is a Tractor Supply brand

These and the recent Carharts shown came from them.
Oops, just realized I hadn't shown the Carharts in this thread.

IMG_2208.jpeg

Size medium
Removing the patch and will sew onto the pull ttab on the palm side.

IMG_1875.jpeg

Size medium.
Carhart dexterity winter gloves. Think polar fleece lined Mechanix fast fit gloves.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While in Lowes yesterday as we were leaving I saw a "mechanix" gloves display box from a distance. I though just maybe they'll have those thin fast fit winter gloves again.... they did not but.....

IMG_3122.jpeg

These West Chester gloves are very similar.

Home Depot and other box stores have super thin high dexterity gloves, sometimes in 3 packs. Good for a little protection from cold yet very little dexterity interuption. These are that kind with 60g of insulation. Not bulky at all either. The palm and fingers are made of the same stuff as mechanix gloves and the upper part the same as original mechanix.
$10.98. Amazon has them also. Upsize to get a looser (read warmer) fit.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
View attachment 53611
I took a walk last night wearing these goat skin gloves, while carrying a D cell flashlight that with bare hands tends to feel slippery. It seemed like there was contact cement on the barrel of the flashlight.
Goat skin gloves are a marvelous invention.

Recently, I picked up a pair of Kinco insulated leather gloves, similar to these Ridgecut ones. Cowhide. Broken-in after about a week of wearing them daily. Not too thick. Reasonably toasty during weather down to about 0ºF.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Not to derail this too much, but what do you do if the fingers don't fit in your gloves? I suffer greatly from the flapping finger bits when i wear gloves and it makes my dexterity hit half a bottle of vodka in -30° levels of fumbling, have you found anything that helps making the gloves fit better?

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Those kinco are good too. Again one may need to upsize to avoid the finger squeeze effect from the insulation.

The nearby Tractor Supply had them, in stock. But only the women's size "M" ... which, after test-fitting them for a few minutes, I thought would fit well enough. After a week, the leather relaxed a little bit, and the fit became amazingly good. A good, snug fit, not too tight, just loose enough that the "brand new tightness" no longer exists. Perfect fit.

Can't imagine having ordered the "proper" size and then finding the things relaxing so much they got floppy.

Of course, there's only 100g of Thinsulate-like insulation in them. Not a lot. Would have much preferred 200-300g or so. But there aren't many such gloves around, certainly not in the regional stores where one can do a test-fitting.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not to derail this too much, but what do you do if the fingers don't fit in your gloves? I suffer greatly from the flapping finger bits when i wear gloves and it makes my dexterity hit half a bottle of vodka in -30° levels of fumbling, have you found anything that helps making the gloves fit better?
Smaller gloves perhaps?

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened

For me, if the glove doesn't fit then I need to find a different glove that does. Either I blew the test-fit and my estimate of how snug they were to begin with, or they relaxed a bit more than I thought they might. Sadly, it's more art than science, so to speak.

About the only thing I've found is: a good-quality leather glove, with sufficient insulation and fit to make it fairly snug, knowing the leather will relax a tad during the first couple weeks' of wear. Even then, it's a bit of guesswork. Depends on how much relaxing the given gloves end up having. Depends on your estimation of how snug "snug" is, during the initial test-fit.

I suppose one could go with mitts, instead of 5-fingered gloves. That'll erase some of the exactness one expects from the fit of the individual fingers.

If you're looking to handle -30ºF, however, it's a glove that will have quite a bit of insulation and general thickness. That, alone, makes dexterity take a hit.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The nearby Tractor Supply had them, in stock. But only the women's size "M" ... which, after test-fitting them for a few minutes, I thought would fit well enough. After a week, the leather relaxed a little bit, and the fit became amazingly good. A good, snug fit, not too tight, just loose enough that the "brand new tightness" no longer exists. Perfect fit.

Can't imagine having ordered the "proper" size and then finding the things relaxing so much they got floppy.

Of course, there's only 100g of Thinsulate-like insulation in them. Not a lot. Would have much preferred 200-300g or so. But there aren't many such gloves around, certainly not in the regional stores where one can do a test-fitting.
That's 100 grams? Wow! Not bad.
I'm breaking in a pair of large for use as work gloves when shoveling the driveway and things like that.

My 2 chamber Cabellas are just too bulky. They are 300/150 where you can slide your hand into one of two chambers. Nice idea but for work they're just too clumbsy. All I see at Cabellas anymore is hunting gloves at 80/150 but these were black. Got 'em from the bargain cave sround 2011 or so. I'll have to dig them out of my "blizzard wear" box in the closet.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Not to derail this too much, but what do you do if the fingers don't fit in your gloves?
If the gloves feels a bit too big, I would recommend trying a pair of eczema gloves inside the glove.
Such as these:

Works great as "filler" inside the glove, and adds both insulation and ventilation to the hands.

Though at -30°F / -35°C, I would try mitts first, unless I needed the flexibility of gloves.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If looking for the West Chester gloves look on line for your local Lowes to see which aisle they're on. At my local Lowes they were in a card board display box two rows away from the gardening gloves section (in ironically the air conditioner parts section). I went back and bought some size M, which has shorter fingers than L but slides on just as easy.