Actual Lumens readings in 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS with SC 5500 control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've listed the M60F twice, at 202 and at 216-220. Is that a typo? I recall those being the numbers for the M60F and M60 respectively.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrGman,
Thanks for the test. It was nice for me to see the Fenix T1 really was 230 lumens. I knew it was as bright as my old SF M3 with the HO bulb. It was also nice to see that the new Eagletac was around as bright as its claims. (I was a doubter....thought they would be around 230 as well)

I will have to pick one up. Thanks again for your efforts!

brad

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've listed the M60F twice, at 202 and at 216-220. Is that a typo? I recall those being the numbers for the M60F and M60 respectively.

Its not a typo its in 2 different hosts with different battery configurations. Look at the entire line. The lights are somewhat brighter in the Surefire 6P host than the Solarforce L2 host, which has that longer black crenalated strike bezel masking off some of the outer edge of the beam pattern and probably different AR coatings on the glass.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
280-270 Lumens!!! Holy Moly!!:drool: Thats some serious output. Does it get warm to the touch?

It warms my heart just to hold it but I have not run it for any extended periods of time yet, Needed to keep the batteries fresh for the lumens test and haven't had any time yet to do anything else. Its on my hip and will be seeing some extended usage as part of the further evaluation, just hasn't gotten there. This is only day #1 of the EagleTac T10C2 Saga.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, having real data is pretty nice. Thanks for taking time out of your life to satisfy our collective curiosity.
I'll admit I'm surprised at a couple of the results, but then again I'm a skeptic who doubts most everything claimed by a manufacturer until proven otherwise. Good to see some of them are actually giving good numbers.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Mods, any way you guys can sticky this?

GMan... can I send you my 11836 and 6090 + 6P to test? I'll pay return postage.

PM me if interested.;)

One again... GREAT job!!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not a typo its in 2 different hosts with different battery configurations. Look at the entire line. The lights are somewhat brighter in the Surefire 6P host than the Solarforce L2 host, which has that longer black crenalated strike bezel masking off some of the outer edge of the beam pattern and probably different AR coatings on the glass.

I did notice the batteries and hosts were different, it's just that the numbers were so similar to ones you'd posted before with the m60 and m60f.

Energie

Enlightened
Turned on at a screaming 280 lumens, slowly drifted down to about 270 lumens.
The new EagleTac T10C2 draws 0.96 amps on high also with fresh batteries.

Just wondering:

EagleTac T10C2: Cree XR-E Q5 inside

Draws 0,96 A on hight (2 fresh batteries = 6 V)
under load: 5,3 V
= 5,1 Watt from the batteries

Driver efficiency 90 %
= 4,6 Watt to the Led

Vf approx. 3,7 V (at 1.000 mA)
= 1.240 mA to the Led

Cree XR-E Q5 max. 114 lm at 350 mA
approx 250% at 1.240 mA
= 285 lm (emitter lm)

Relative Light Output approx. 85% at 100°C junction temperature
=242 lm (emitter lm)

minus some losses (reflector, lens) approx. 10%
--> 220 lm out of the front

(Article about efficiency: link)

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Just wondering:

=242 lm (emitter lm)

I was also surprised by the high output, but I believe I can explain some of the factors.

Your temperature rise does not match the reported data, there the light started at 280 and slowly (i.e. while heating) dropped to 270 lumen, that is only a vary small drop due to temperature

Have your checked, that fresh batteries drops to 5.3 volt at 1A load?

Another way to look at it is:
The T10C2 draws about 20% more power then the T1 and if this translates to 20% more light output (This is a bit optimistic), it is about right.

Energie

Enlightened
I was also surprised by the high output, but I believe I can explain some of the factors.

Your temperature rise does not match the reported data, there the light started at 280 and slowly (i.e. while heating) dropped to 270 lumen, that is only a vary small drop due to temperature

The led is driven above the specs.
There is a document about thermal management on the Cree-site. I think, 100 °C junction temperature after some seconds is not wrong.

Have your checked, that fresh batteries drops to 5.3 volt at 1A load?

Yes, I have. With two pairs of fresh surefire batteries.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for sure. I do hope the mods take notice of this thread. The best flashlight buyer is an informed buyer.

Where are all the EagleTac doubters now????:thinking:

my thoughts exactly :)

MrGman, it's really great to finally have somebody doing IS tests. I hope this thread grows into a fairly complete database.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energie - you can eliminate temperature causing the output to drop. When you first turn the light on (which is when he got 280 lumens), the temperature will not have increased at all yet.

As for other aspects, I don't know enough to explain all of it, but I am sure some of your assumptions, like optical and driver efficiency, are a bit pessimistic.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering:

EagleTac T10C2: Cree XR-E Q5 inside

Draws 0,96 A on hight (2 fresh batteries = 6 V)
under load: 5,3 V
= 5,1 Watt from the batteries

Driver efficiency 90 %
= 4,6 Watt to the Led

Vf approx. 3,7 V (at 1.000 mA)
= 1.240 mA to the Led

Cree XR-E Q5 max. 114 lm at 350 mA
approx 250% at 1.240 mA
= 285 lm (emitter lm)

=242 lm (emitter lm)

minus some losses (reflector, lens) approx. 10%
--> 220 lm out of the front

I think you are describing a worst case scenerio, and the OP's IS readings don't agree with your guesstimates. I don't think the junction temp is 100C in a few seconds, maybe after 10-20 minutes, but even then it may not be 100C. If it's well heat sinked, it's probably only around 48-50C after a minute or two.

Also would the voltage really drop to 5.3v with fresh primaries?

If you rework your numbers do you think it's possible for 1.4A to reach the emitter, and consider the output is near 100% at the start (no loss from junction temp), what kind of emitter lumens do you come up with now?

insanefred

Enlightened
Not sure about anybody else. But should we offer some donations for your time and effort for testing?
More tests would be nice.
I am interested in the Fenix tk20, tk11, Surefire g2L, and eagletac T10L do.

Mods, please sticky!

LG&M

Enlightened
I almost got a Eagletac P10C2. Then I found the T1 Lighthound deal & got that. I am very happy with the T1. I thought they would be about the same. Now I just might have to get the P10C2 also. Thanks a lot.
No really thanks. Nice work.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about anybody else. But should we offer some donations for your time and effort for testing?
More tests would be nice.
I am interested in the Fenix tk20, tk11, Surefire g2L, and eagletac T10L do.

Mods, please sticky!
+1

I'd really like to see some popular SureFire flashlights such as: the new L1, E2L, E2DL, E1B, KL5A. The new Inova T2, T3, T4. All popular Dereelights and more incandescent lights as well. That would be sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.