• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

PKDL Pass Around

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Package arrived today. Exploration underway!
8b85b9a273b1de886ec972af3c9fab9e.jpg

sgt253

Enlightened
Here are my thoughts on the PKDL Pass Around items:

PK Knight
This light is SMALL! I could not believe how small it really was until I held it. This light is barely bigger than the CR123A lithium primary battery or the rechargeable (16340) lithium battery that may power it. The finish is type III hard anodized in black. The knurling on its body is pronounced but not overly rough. The twist action of the tail cap is smooth. The depression of the tail cap, utilized as a momentary type switch, is very smooth and positive. The light is very bright on high and very well useful on low. Placed in my front slash pocket of a pair of jeans, the light disappeared. The light was very easy to carry. The other modes, medium, strobe, SOS, High and low beacon must be deliberately sought for. They are well hidden to prevent accidental activation. I did however discover that if activated inadvertently on high in one's pocket, the light does get warm and will let one know that it is there! I contribute this to user error, in that, I did not lock the light out previous to being placed in my pocket. The distinguishing feature of the light, other than the remarkable size, and brightness is the addition of a pocket clip that can be removed and a "strike" type bezel that stows on the flashlight itself. Seamless in its stowage on the light and easily affixed to the front bezel, I question the robustness of the "strike" bezel as it is made of aluminum. I personally would have use for the two way pocket clip. I would not be inclined to affix the "strike" bezel to the bezel of the light if I owned a copy. I would keep it stowed on the light, as it is out of the way. This is one small nit about a very fine light.

PK PL2
This key chain carry type light is small. It is barely larger than the AAA battery that powers it. The knurling is pronounced but not overly aggressive. The light has a good purchase in the hands. The finish is black PVD and uniformly applied. The appearance has a semi-glossy shine, not as matte as type III hard anodizing and not as shiny as type II anodizing. The light will accept alkaline, lithium primary and rechargeable NiMH batteries. The switch is activated at the head by twisting the body clockwise into the head for on and twisting the body counterclockwise into the head for off. This light is bright. The high of 110 lumens is provided in a beam comprised of a hotpot and spill. The spot is neither overly tight nor loose as it seems to be a medium spot with a bright spill. The low level is quite useful as the situation warrants.

PK PR1
The Pocket Rocket is just that! This is a small and bright one CR123A light that can be powered by a lithium primary or rechargeable (16340) lithium battery. This light has a very good purchase in one's hand due to the assertive nature of its surface. The light is PVD coated in black which results in a shinier surface than type III anodizing but yet more matte in its appearance than type II anodizing. The click type switch is firm in the right amount. One may use the light either momentarily by depressing the switch and releasing or fully clicking the light into one of its three modes. The UI is high-medium-low. The light returns to high after "off" time of approximately 2 seconds. The clip is a two way clip and works extremely well. The ease in which the light can be clipped to a pocket or other material is quite remarkable. It glides very smoothly. I, personally, would prefer a black finish for the clip as it is a bright chrome-like appearance currently. The light is bright on high, very useful on medium, and has a well apportioned low. The overall appearance can be considered a diminutive version of the PK FL2 LE. It too seems to disappear in ones pocket. I carried the light for multiple days in both casual jeans and work pants. I was not bothered nor hampered by the light in any way. The PR1 is a very nice light indeed.

PKFL2LE
This is a light that has been spoken about previously in different threads. This is the light that PK has used to introduce the flashlight community to the PK Design Lab's philosophy, "For Cultivated Expectations". This 2x CR123A primary lithium battery powered light may also utilize a (16650) rechargeable lithium battery. The size is between that of a Surefire 6P and E2E flashlight. The finish is black PVD coated. The appearance is brighter than a matte type III hard anodizing and more subdued than a type II anodizing typical of most other lights. The purchase in the hand by the assertive nature of the surface of the flashlight is simply fantastic. Once held, the light will not be going anywhere until its user wants it to! It is not overly rough to this user/reviewer. The light has a click type switch that is appropriately weighted. The light has a High-Low UI. I have reviewed this light before, in a different thread when it was first released to the community. I must say that everything that I love about the light has remained. The size of the light, the textured gripping surface, the brightness, the activation pressure of the switch is very well done. However, I must maintain that the reset time between activation of the High mode momentarily then to off and back on to High mode is very long for a Tactical/Law Enforcement centered light. I have had occasion, over the course of my Law Enforcement career, to utilize lights in a momentary fashion for various reasons. I would need a light that would reset to High very quickly, if at all. If the PKFL2LE would be able to do this, I would have little need for any other light in the Tactical category. If one does not desire, or need, a very quick reset time then they have found an absolutely fantastic light in every regard!

PKTP
This pen is a twist design. Meaning that to extend and retract the tip for writing, all one has to do is twist. The pen has a certain heft to it. It feels substantial but not heavy. It writes extremely well. The Fisher Space Pen insert is very nicely done. The pen fits my average size hand well. The purchase, like the flashlights, is very solid in the hand. The pen is not going to slip out of one's grasp anytime soon. The finish is mil-spec type III hard anodizing in black. Although well made, fits the hand well, can be a tool in an improvised tactical situation, and writes well it is just not for me as I am a little "conservative" when it comes to my writing implements. The pen is very well done for its type.

PK TPE
This pen requires one to unscrew the cap to expose the nib. The threads on the cap are "Acme" type which are a very fine quality. Like its cousin the TP, the pen has a certain heft to it. It feels substantial but not heavy. It writes extremely well. The Fisher Space Pen insert is very nicely done. Unlike its cousin the TP, this pen is finished in black PVD coating which adds just a bit more to its ability to shrug off wear and tear. It is solidly gripped in the hand. It won't slip out by accident. The tip on its tail end would be a solid way to break a piece of glass in case of an emergency. The PK TPE is a quality pen for its type, but is not this reviewer's preference.

Thanks PK for the ability to test drive these great creations and bykfixer for facilitating the pass around. I now know there are PKDL products in my immediate future!

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
Definitely an in depth review I hope I can word my opinion of the packages contents that well.

I will be having my brother(he lives next door) take a look at each light as well. He isn't quite hooked by the flashlight bug yet but I've been working on him.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Weld Inspector; you're up for box #2.

Crazy Eddie, we aint forgot ya buddy. Hope all is well after your bionic knee upgrade and that we hear good news from you soon.

It looks like fate sent 2 boxes your way at nearly the same time M2. Weird how life works sometimes.

Looking forward to what people have to say and don't forget, when it's done the products will be sold at half price so we can kick a few bucks to the Chris Kyle Frog Foundation around the close of 2016.

irongate

Enlightened
Here are my thoughts on the PKDL Pass Around items:

PK Knight
This light is SMALL! I could not believe how small it really was until I held it. This light is barely bigger than the CR123A lithium primary battery or the rechargeable (16340) lithium battery that may power it. The finish is type III hard anodized in black. The knurling on its body is pronounced but not overly rough. The twist action of the tail cap is smooth. The depression of the tail cap, utilized as a momentary type switch, is very smooth and positive. The light is very bright on high and very well useful on low. Placed in my front slash pocket of a pair of jeans, the light disappeared. The light was very easy to carry. The other modes, medium, strobe, SOS, High and low beacon must be deliberately sought for. They are well hidden to prevent accidental activation. I did however discover that if activated inadvertently on high in one's pocket, the light does get warm and will let one know that it is there! I contribute this to user error, in that, I did not lock the light out previous to being placed in my pocket. The distinguishing feature of the light, other than the remarkable size, and brightness is the addition of a pocket clip that can be removed and a "strike" type bezel that stows on the flashlight itself. Seamless in its stowage on the light and easily affixed to the front bezel, I question the robustness of the "strike" bezel as it is made of aluminum. I personally would have use for the two way pocket clip. I would not be inclined to affix the "strike" bezel to the bezel of the light if I owned a copy. I would keep it stowed on the light, as it is out of the way. This is one small nit about a very fine light.

PK PL2
This key chain carry type light is small. It is barely larger than the AAA battery that powers it. The knurling is pronounced but not overly aggressive. The light has a good purchase in the hands. The finish is black PVD and uniformly applied. The appearance has a semi-glossy shine, not as matte as type III hard anodizing and not as shiny as type II anodizing. The light will accept alkaline, lithium primary and rechargeable NiMH batteries. The switch is activated at the head by twisting the body clockwise into the head for on and twisting the body counterclockwise into the head for off. This light is bright. The high of 110 lumens is provided in a beam comprised of a hotpot and spill. The spot is neither overly tight nor loose as it seems to be a medium spot with a bright spill. The low level is quite useful as the situation warrants.

PK PR1
The Pocket Rocket is just that! This is a small and bright one CR123A light that can be powered by a lithium primary or rechargeable (16340) lithium battery. This light has a very good purchase in one's hand due to the assertive nature of its surface. The light is PVD coated in black which results in a shinier surface than type III anodizing but yet more matte in its appearance than type II anodizing. The click type switch is firm in the right amount. One may use the light either momentarily by depressing the switch and releasing or fully clicking the light into one of its three modes. The UI is high-medium-low. The light returns to high after "off" time of approximately 2 seconds. The clip is a two way clip and works extremely well. The ease in which the light can be clipped to a pocket or other material is quite remarkable. It glides very smoothly. I, personally, would prefer a black finish for the clip as it is a bright chrome-like appearance currently. The light is bright on high, very useful on medium, and has a well apportioned low. The overall appearance can be considered a diminutive version of the PK FL2 LE. It too seems to disappear in ones pocket. I carried the light for multiple days in both casual jeans and work pants. I was not bothered nor hampered by the light in any way. The PR1 is a very nice light indeed.

PKFL2LE
This is a light that has been spoken about previously in different threads. This is the light that PK has used to introduce the flashlight community to the PK Design Lab's philosophy, "For Cultivated Expectations". This 2x CR123A primary lithium battery powered light may also utilize a (16650) rechargeable lithium battery. The size is between that of a Surefire 6P and E2E flashlight. The finish is black PVD coated. The appearance is brighter than a matte type III hard anodizing and more subdued than a type II anodizing typical of most other lights. The purchase in the hand by the assertive nature of the surface of the flashlight is simply fantastic. Once held, the light will not be going anywhere until its user wants it to! It is not overly rough to this user/reviewer. The light has a click type switch that is appropriately weighted. The light has a High-Low UI. I have reviewed this light before, in a different thread when it was first released to the community. I must say that everything that I love about the light has remained. The size of the light, the textured gripping surface, the brightness, the activation pressure of the switch is very well done. However, I must maintain that the reset time between activation of the High mode momentarily then to off and back on to High mode is very long for a Tactical/Law Enforcement centered light. I have had occasion, over the course of my Law Enforcement career, to utilize lights in a momentary fashion for various reasons. I would need a light that would reset to High very quickly, if at all. If the PKFL2LE would be able to do this, I would have little need for any other light in the Tactical category. If one does not desire, or need, a very quick reset time then they have found an absolutely fantastic light in every regard!

PKTP
This pen is a twist design. Meaning that to extend and retract the tip for writing, all one has to do is twist. The pen has a certain heft to it. It feels substantial but not heavy. It writes extremely well. The Fisher Space Pen insert is very nicely done. The pen fits my average size hand well. The purchase, like the flashlights, is very solid in the hand. The pen is not going to slip out of one's grasp anytime soon. The finish is mil-spec type III hard anodizing in black. Although well made, fits the hand well, can be a tool in an improvised tactical situation, and writes well it is just not for me as I am a little "conservative" when it comes to my writing implements. The pen is very well done for its type.

PK TPE
This pen requires one to unscrew the cap to expose the nib. The threads on the cap are "Acme" type which are a very fine quality. Like its cousin the TP, the pen has a certain heft to it. It feels substantial but not heavy. It writes extremely well. The Fisher Space Pen insert is very nicely done. Unlike its cousin the TP, this pen is finished in black PVD coating which adds just a bit more to its ability to shrug off wear and tear. It is solidly gripped in the hand. It won't slip out by accident. The tip on its tail end would be a solid way to break a piece of glass in case of an emergency. The PK TPE is a quality pen for its type, but is not this reviewer's preference.

Thanks PK for the ability to test drive these great creations and bykfixer for facilitating the pass around. I now know there are PKDL products in my immediate future!

Very nice write -up on all the products. The only one I have is the FL2-LE -it's fits the hand perfect and it is there to stay.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
PKDL Passaround Review & Notes
One liner: I may not be Tacticool enough for PKDL; they are just too sharp!
Special note: No photo cropping or color corrections were done. Runtimes were not tested and I do not have formal testing equipment. Only minor text formatting was done below and the copy-paste messed up some spacing; forgive me for that.

Before getting into the products themselves, I'd start by noting that the naming schema is a bit of a mystery. The PK part makes sense, but then we have the products named FL-2, PR-1, PL-2, TPE, and TP. They seem like codes, but the only one I've been able to decipher is PR-1, which is the "Pocket Rocket". PL-2 is the most pocketable light, while FL-2 is the least pocketable. Was there a FL-1 in the past that preceded the FL-2? What about the PL-1? TP is the pen that stores the tip with rotation, while TPE has a cap to cover the ink cartridge. I realize this is digressing a bit before even getting started, but it does make shopping (and compiling this review) confusing.

As the package arrived:

As unpacked:

The packaging itself was quite tasteful on the PKDL lights –minimalist yet professional.The lights themselves are allowed to be the stars in the PR-1, PL-2, and Knight boxes.

The first light I tested out ended up being my favorite –the PL-2. This is one beautiful, simple, lightweight light.The titanium is incredibly lightweight – so much so that someone else who picked it up while I was testing said it didn't even feel like metal! The light is barely bigger than a AAA battery, yet it puts out a solid amount of lumens. (Note: I have no testing equipment; all I can say is that I believe the rated specs based on quick comparisons with other lights I own.) The finish is smooth, the diamond texture is nice without being too much, and overall just a really nice light. When this passaround is over, I will be looking to buy one of these. The threads were well-lubricated, the twist feel was predictable, and the UI was simple and reliable. I could carry this on a keyring every day and never notice it. While I would have like to have seen the rainbow PVD, the natural finish got my time. The black stayed in the package.

The beam pattern on the PL2 has a hotspot, but it was broad –and when used in the real world, it is not very noticeable – it does not feel like a thrower in any way.The color is cool but in no way blue or off-color. I appreciated the round bezel and the smooth spill that it generates.

My second favorite light was the 4Sevens Knight, as soon as I forgot about the strike bezel that could be described as either awesomely stupid or stupidly awesome, depending on your preference. It looks slick as heck having the strike bezel stored on the main body; it adds character and offers nice flexibility. The light itself is compact, lightweight, and feels high quality.

I would never use that strike bezel, though, for two reasons. First, check out the beam pattern with the strike bezel below.

Second, the bezel doesn't feel that secure. It attaches using only a couple of threads, a depth far exceeded by the length of the protrusions on the bezel. (I'm not sure if they would be considered crenulations given the exaggerated nature.) This leverage creates flex. Given that flex, shallow attachment, and short nature of the light, this wouldn't be very useful for self-defense. (Though I'm sure you could do fun things like spear an apple with the strike bezel.)

With the round bezel on the light, the beam profile is nearly round. When using in real use rather than on white walls, the beam seems round. The hotspot is tighter than the pL2, but the spill is still wide and bright.
The feature that I came to love most on this light is the rear cap functionality. It's not really a cap as the battery loads from between the head and tube – but the cap on the rear turns to activate the light, change mode, or lock the light out. Back the cap all the way out (it will not detach) and the light will be locked out. Tighten it down and the light will turn on; loosen and tighten a quarter or half turn and it will change modes. Or, loosen it slightly then press the cap forward – and the light will turn on momentarily. This is a really nice implementation of momentary on and makes mode changes nice as fingers don't block the output. There's also tail stand ability and battery polarity protection.

The other thing noteworthy is the light comes with a 10 year warranty. The PKDL lights only have a 1year warranty; 120 months is top notch!

Next up is the PR-1.The Pocket Rocket. Given that name, I'll lead with a beam shot. Yep, tight. No massive thrower, but hey, this is an easily pocketable CR123 light. Again, a cool beam but no nasty blues or colors – just bright cool white.

While the Knight was feature-packed yet felt thinner/weaker, the PR-1 feels like it was built to take plenty of abuse. It handled the heat fine and felt like it could take a fall from [insert whatever height you might drop a flashlight from]. The knurling on the tube felt good, the pocket clip offers flexibility, the forward-clicky switch was broad and easy to use, and the design overall looks quite nice.

Regarding that pocket clip: I wish it was black. It drives me nuts that it doesn't match or blend with the light in any way; it looks like an afterthought. Except it certainly wasn't an afterthought as it has notches to keep it from spinning and it has a wide and deep "doubling back" that means you can use it bezel up or bezel down from a single mounting point. I really like these touches as it adds versatility to a light that can't tail stand. Just make the pocket clip black!

The attention to detail can also be seen on the head where the positive end of the battery makes contact. There's a "+", making it obvious how the battery should be inserted. It's a simple detail but not common enough. The o-rings are effective and both the rings and threads were well-lubed. The documentation lacked the same attention to detail; note the "vaporized Chorome deposition," "Recommend Fnercell® CR123A", and "PK-TPE" errors on the PR-1 documentation.

Now, when I wrote in the one-liner above that these lights are just too sharp, I meant it literally. The notches on the side of the light near the head look nice and add grip. However, their edges are absolute with no beveling. They feel sharp. I don't like that in my hand or pocket. The FL-2 has the same issue and had one such edge showing premature wear on the finish. Just a very slight beveling here would make a big difference.

I found the FL-2 to be like a supersized PR-1 with a beam featuring a bit more flood.

This light is also built like a tank. It also has great knurling on the tube and looks very nice. It has a similar "+" indicator in the tube to guide battery insertion. It also has a wide, easy to use forward-click switch. (Forward click meaning a half press is used to cycle modes, then a full press locks into that mode. Switching modes means clicking off, then half-clicking to cycle before clicking to select and turn on.) It handles heat great and will run with consistent output.

It also has double o-rings (well-lubed) and another nice touch: a tail switch pin that makes solid contact without digging into the batteries overly aggressively. After seeing gouges out of a number of my batteries due to sharp tail springs, I'm glad to see this.

The faults I found with the PR-1 are shared with the FL-2. It doesn't tail stand. The edges on the lumps near the head are sharp and unbeveled. Additionally, the bezel has several cuts and notches that are also very sharp. (The problem I have with them is that the sharp angles are merely form and not function.)

The documentation also has grammatical errors.

Moving on to the pens, I'll be straightforward and say that I have neither tactical pens of my own nor any identified need for them. These are the first I've handled, so take my opinions accordingly.
The favorite of the two for me was the TP. It functions nicely as a pen, though I do prefer finer ink. It rotates smoothly to hide/expose the ink cartridge. It feels light, balanced, and strong. The cigar-ring-like feature near the writing end of the pen seems a bit odd to me, though. It (like the PR-1 and FL-2) was oddly sharp given that those edges will rest on my fingers when writing. Also, if used in self-defense, this ring would keep the pen from penetrating very deeply.

The TPE pen looks the coolest but seems even less functional for me. First, the ink is hidden behind the cap that must be unscrewed. Once unscrewed, what do I do with the cap? If needed for defense while writing, there's no good way to hold and strike. The threads are nice but exposed (and therefore unlubricated), so they aren't as smooth and quiet as they would be if lubed.

Once the cap is off and the writing end exposed, though, it feels great in hand and writes very smoothly. So nice! To choose between the pens would be tough… Would I prefer the one that's easier to use and retains tactical functionality while writing (TP), or choose the one that is nicer to write with (TPE)?

The documentation is again not quite perfect (see "Polymer capted box"), though I started checking the PKDL site and it looks like some new revisions of documentation have been published.

At the end of the day, I really liked the PL-2 and Knight. I can see and appreciate the quality in the PR-1 and FL-2, but the unnecessary sharp edges and lack of tail stand capabilities put me off for "regular non-tactical" use.

PK and Bykfixer, thanks for allowing me the opportunity to give these products a go. Hopefully we see more passarounds happen so that we can all test before buying.

Weld Inspector, the box is heading your way; I hope you alsoenjoy exploring the PKDL product line!

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
Nice review, thank you. I too would love to see the really functional clip on the PR-1 in black. The clip is fantastic in either color, but I think black would be ideal!

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
I received the box of pk today and first thing I thought was wow these are all much smaller lights than I expected.

So let's start with the pk-pl2 I have to say I that the almost "weightlessness" bothers me a bit I didn't realize they were this thin of aluminum and it almost feels toy like.

The knight is a bright little light twist control tail was something new to me, the only twisty lights I've had so far are 2 piece not 3 so that was different, the defense bezel on a light this small seems kind of like a gimic more than an actual usable option, at first I didn't notice the retiontion ring for the pocket clip and thought that with the defense bezel in use that you couldn't use the pocket clip.

My brothers opinion of the pens was a bit comical he didn't really get how a pen could be tactical. I on the other hand think both pens are very amazing feats of machining the pen with the cap, I don't like that there is no cap storage and in my world this means I would probably lose the cap. I REALLY like the drill bit type of swirl design at the tip and on the cap. The action on the capless pen is very smooth. I have to show the both of these to my friend that had mentioned getting a tactical pen.

Now these are my initial opinions upon unboxing so I could change my mine after I try them out a bit more each day after work this week. I will be walking the dog to nite with the biggest of the bunch the FL2.

Also I have to mention that I am very impressed with the PK business card that is machined aluminum! Very cool.

I hope that my reviewing of these lights is up to par being that this is my first pass around and my first time writing a review on anything.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The cap on the executive pen slides onto the rear like those really, really, really expensive fountain pens do.

So long as you do not "jam" it on there the finish can take it.
It was PKDL's first PVD coated product.

No worries Weld Inspector, your words are just fine. No pressure here bro.

Last edited:

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
I was afraid of scratching the finish by pushing the cap on that's why I didn't think it was supposed to hold that way.

But I was unaware that it is meant to be tougher than normal anodizing.

Thanks for clearing that up for me bykfixr