Master thread for disasters and generators.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I cannot find anyone to repair my Winco generator. I contacted them, and they suggested it might be a capacitor, which is not expensive. But in any case the parts exist. All the dealers they have on file in my area are defunct.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I cannot find anyone to repair my Winco generator. I contacted them, and they suggested it might be a capacitor, which is not expensive. But in any case the parts exist. All the dealers they have on file in my area are defunct.

Find a local motor rewinding shop. Other than probably needing to dropoff your tractor for testing, fixing it should be trivial. I used to do this at my uncle's shop while in high school.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is just too easy to go with a propane cook top, camp stove or BBQ/smoker. I would not want to cook with generator electricity. That is going to use a lot of fuel.
Cooking outside will take a big load off the AC.
I've done temperature testing and actually cooked a Cake in my outdoor propane grill! 260 degrees on low with lid closed.
So Grills can actually do more than just grill and sear ;)
I would check in with an independant generator shop. They may actually be independent dealers for other generator makers.
Look at shops that have been in business for more than 20 years, You may just find one that has in fact worked on a genset like yours. Wishing You luck, the Winco MFG says it might be a simple fix, by any shop that has the tools and know how.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
All the generator shops are busy with industrial work, I'm too small a job. And I need them to come to me & either fix it in the garage or hoist it into their truck. Its on a dolly but weighs a few hundred pounds.
But that reminds me, one said to call back when they are not so busy...
Winco "home power" HPS 9000E.
Has a 16HP Briggs & Stratton engine on it. Starts right up after about 5 years of sitting in a damp garage.

Poppy

Flashaholic
All the generator shops are busy with industrial work, I'm too small a job. And I need them to come to me & either fix it in the garage or hoist it into their truck. Its on a dolly but weighs a few hundred pounds.
But that reminds me, one said to call back when they are not so busy...
Winco "home power" HPS 9000E.
Has a 16HP Briggs & Stratton engine on it. Starts right up after about 5 years of sitting in a damp garage.
If it's on a dolly, you might be able to rent a small trailer with a ramp to get it to them.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Sometimes it is the simplest things that go wrong.

I see that it uses an alternator to generate electricity.

Is your battery DEAD? IIRC, an alternator needs to be connected to a charged battery in order to create the field needed to generate electricity.

I might be wrong about the charged battery. Maybe the alternator can be polarized with the current generated by the engine's magneto. I really don't know what I am talking about. I'm just throwing this out for someone with more knowledge to comment.

turbodog

Flashaholic
It _is_ possible to lose the residual magnetism in the unit... then it won't self-excite and you get no power. Solution is to take a small magnet and stroke it along the inside parts. You have to do this in the correct direction/etc. Last time I saw it done was back in the 1980's. Then yes, there are units with a small alternator which charges the main windings. These are all fringe ideas though.

I'd much more likely suspect a capacitor, bad connection, or other age-related items.

turbodog

Flashaholic
FYI, concerning the eu2k belt.

1694362907314.png

I've seen this dude post around the net. Apparently he works for honda. Seems to know what he's talking about.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would give flashing the field a try. It's possible depending upon where the stator stopped last run it may have lost it's magnetism field to generate power. It's worth a try, before going any further. Use your cell phone or camera to document things as taken apart if You do so, so You can re-assemble correctly. Lastly, perhaps You can borrow an engine crane from someone You know to load the genset to take to a repair shop. You could also use a come-along attached to a chain or HD strap around a ceiling joist to enable getting the unit into a P/U trucks bed. wishing You luck, and appreciate your comments and additions.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
re my Winco:
1) the problem is that during the aftermath of a tornado downburst, I activated my panel-box transfer switch & plugged the cable into the generator, which puts out 15 Amps per phase (30 Amp circuit). BUT I forgot to turn off the breaker to my air conditioner, which draws more Amps. After a few days it got hot enough to turn itself on.

One leg of the generator is not functioning. One leg of the air conditioner fuse box burned out the glass fuse. I do get power from the other leg - the generator has two 15 Amp duplex outlets, and one of them works.

So does this sound like lost magnetism amenable to field flashing? That ought to be something any electrician can do, right ?

The Winco parts guy opined that it is likely one of the 3 capacitors gone bad.

But I do want the whole thing professionally checked out so it does not burst into flames.

A replacement would cost at least a couple grand, right? Plus the cost of disposing of this one (see below). So if I can just find an individual with the skills, I could offer him a grand to try to fix it.

2) The generator is on a 2 wheeled, wheelbarrow type dolly. I am not nearly strong enough to push it up a ramp. Which makes me realize I can't even throw it away, because I cannot push it up my steep driveway to the street.

Maybe hire a truck with a winch, like a brick delivery truck - but small enough to go down my tree-covered driveway. A tow truck with a "bed" might be able to winch it up the ramp, except that someone would have to strongarm the wheelbarrow handles upwards while it is being pulled. But standing next to the cable is a safety violation.

Poppy

Flashaholic
1694433954766.png

There are youtube videos on how to check a capacitor with a digital voltmeter/multimeter.
IF your unit has one that looks like these, they should be pretty accessible.

If you are uncomfortable with swapping it out, any Air Conditioning guy should be able to do it. I had a central AC unit that would blow a capacitor when lightning struck nearby. One year I had a tech from the power company come out three times.

Bob2650

Newly Enlightened
re my Winco:
1) the problem is that during the aftermath of a tornado downburst, I activated my panel-box transfer switch & plugged the cable into the generator, which puts out 15 Amps per phase (30 Amp circuit). BUT I forgot to turn off the breaker to my air conditioner, which draws more Amps. After a few days it got hot enough to turn itself on.

One leg of the generator is not functioning. One leg of the air conditioner fuse box burned out the glass fuse. I do get power from the other leg - the generator has two 15 Amp duplex outlets, and one of them works.

So does this sound like lost magnetism amenable to field flashing? That ought to be something any electrician can do, right ?

The Winco parts guy opined that it is likely one of the 3 capacitors gone bad.

But I do want the whole thing professionally checked out so it does not burst into flames.

A replacement would cost at least a couple grand, right? Plus the cost of disposing of this one (see below). So if I can just find an individual with the skills, I could offer him a grand to try to fix it.

2) The generator is on a 2 wheeled, wheelbarrow type dolly. I am not nearly strong enough to push it up a ramp. Which makes me realize I can't even throw it away, because I cannot push it up my steep driveway to the street.

Maybe hire a truck with a winch, like a brick delivery truck - but small enough to go down my tree-covered driveway. A tow truck with a "bed" might be able to winch it up the ramp, except that someone would have to strongarm the wheelbarrow handles upwards while it is being pulled. But standing next to the cable is a safety violation.
Are you near Dallas?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do Not worry about tow trucks coming to get, most all have dealt with roll-over car retrievals.

Agh,
You say it is only one leg of the 220V capability.
You need to have someone familiar with two 120V phased generation into 240V to come and look at it.
Chances are it may be a blown capacitor or even a fusible link within the wiring of the unit.
Do not let someone talk You into the $220 worth of copper scrap until You can fully diagnose
what the H' is going on with it. If one phase is working, lt is only a matter of following back each of
the 240V phases to find the issue. I recommend You acquire a replacement, less expensive inverter
until You can properly get the Winco fixed. I wish I were closer to You, I'd volunteer in a heart beats notice
to come and help. Don't throw the towel in on this this Genset quite yet until You know for sure what's
wrong and needs to be fixed. I was under the suspicion there was no output on the genset.
Save it for when You can get an experienced helper beside You.
Sorry to break the bad news, You need to buy an inferior genset to "almost" take it's place until getting
that someone to assist You in the diagnose/repair of that genset.
GL

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
$1000 plus mileage, gas, and expenses, would be OK.
However, it would be less expensive to get to get it that experienced shop
You mentioned. even waiting for them would be a savings upon You, worthy every penny.
GL

Bob2650

Newly Enlightened
If it is half working, making 120 volt power then it does not need to be flashed.
There are quite a lot of engineer/technician types here. Perhaps one of us is near you.