Master thread for disasters and generators.

Bob2650

Newly Enlightened
That is probably what is happening. It went from 40% claimed to 60% claimed so perhaps on this Lightning Deal there are only 5 units offered on a sliding scale price.

edit: Now it went back to 50% so the seller is fooling around with the listing.
Now down to 40%....

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I see at that link is $679. Guess my social credit score is too low to get the better deal.
+

There's a $100 coupon you must check = $579

I have the 1300Wh one exactly like it,,, didn't get it for $579, that's for sure.
They are nice units, more like stereo equipment.
If solar charging, series charge them (24V), they prefer that.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
IF your unit has one that looks like these, they should be pretty accessible.

If you are uncomfortable with swapping it out, any Air Conditioning guy should
I wouldn't be too quick to throw a thousand dollars at it.

On this page you'll find a link to a troubleshooting manual.
They'll walk you through testing the capacitors. They'll be easily accessible.
Thanks for the link. I'm not comfortable trying any of that, esp taking out the rotor; partly because its not obvious how to open up the unit to get to the guts. Which means that a HVAC guy would probably have the same problem just accessing it. And taking out the

And one point:
"3. Discharge the capacitors by momentarily grounding the capacitor terminals to the metal capacitor case or metal part of the generator."

I do know that you should not do that with big caps because you will melt something. You need a big resistor in series with the grounding wire.

I'm in Maryland.

The issue with using the kind of generator you can buy at Home Depot is that they are all "jobsite" units, which means they have a GFCI internal to them. That is not compatible with plugging it into a panel box using a transfer switch, it will blow the jobsite generator. Been there & done that.

I do have one, but it requires a heavy gauge extension cord up to my kitchen to power the fridge etc. and leaving doors open to the outside to pass the cord.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
You're welcome.
My thought in posting that was that the capacitors as a likely culprit was mentioned by the tech on the phone from Winco, and a couple of people here.

I had swapped out a capacitor three times. Once each for my central AC, once for the blower motor of my forced air heat, and once for the start capacitor for my washing machine. Each time it was an easy job. I shorted the terminals with a screw driver.

Yeah, when I saw the directions to check the rotor, I thought, oh boy, if that is bad, it would probably be expensive to replace.

Good luck with your gen set. I hope that you get it sorted out.

Last edited:

Bob2650

Newly Enlightened
Any of the 4 circuit breakers could cause this problem. Please try to reset them again.
If the capacitors or other part of the excitation circuit was bad I doubt half of the output would still be working at the correct voltage.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Food truck that the company hired for an event was running off of a well-used Predator 9500. Remarkably quiet to the point it didn't much stand out vs traffic noise. Unfortunately I did not get a good enough look to see if it was the updated 240V parallel capable version.

1000003873.jpg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Food truck that the company hired for an event was running off of a well-used Predator 9500. Remarkably quiet to the point it didn't much stand out vs traffic noise. Unfortunately I did not get a good enough look to see if it was the updated 240V parallel capable version.
+

Fueled up & oil, I bet that thing weighs near 300 pounds
Bet it's a fuss getting it in/out of the truck.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
+

At the lower-right edge of the photo you can just see the tip of one of the ramps they use for that task. Every other mobile application I've seen with a 240V generator mounts it to the vehicle somehow to avoid that chore.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+

Hire you a big burly cook, and a big burly assistant.
Guess what they pick up at the end of the day?