Master thread for disasters and generators.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I dunno. It's a neat design, but I question the long term outcome. The gasket/seal/etc is at the bottom. A failure/leak means a complete emptying. And eagle's only like $20 more. The seal is replaceable being just sheet cork and/or rubber.
Yes, at first thought, I considered getting one. It's a neat design. But then I looked in my shed and counted. Four 5 gallon containers + two 2.5 gallon containers + two 1.5 gallon containers. That's 28 gallons. I can't justify getting another container.

Then @turbodog as you pointed out, I wondered if someone could attest to the long term durability of the seal at the bottom. I didn't ask because they have not been around long enough for anyone to give a long term testament to its long term durability.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Yes, at first thought, I considered getting one. It's a neat design. But then I looked in my shed and counted. Four 5 gallon containers + two 2.5 gallon containers + two 1.5 gallon containers. That's 28 gallons. I can't justify getting another container.
I'd rather have one tool that works properly and isn't frustrating to use than 10 that drive me nuts every time. I too have my concerns about the long term durability of the seals and I won't end up buying one (or more) until I've read some reviews from other end users, but at least someone is working on a solution and I hope to find that they've addressed the issue of the bottom swivel seal.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Last gas-can I bought had a specially made spout to make pouring easier. I also bought a fuel tank plastic funnel to help reduce splashing even further.
I bought one like this 5-6 years ago, and it almost completely empties a 5 gal gas tank in 2 mins. When done, raise up wand and let remaining gravity drain back into gas can. The few ounces left can be left, or easily poured into another gas can. This method is easy and results in zero gas spillage.

$25 Electric Gas Siphon

Poppy

Flashaholic
I discovered yesterday that a container like this:
1696902562137.png

if left out in the rain will capture water in the black portion of the safety spout.
When I tried to pour fuel into the gas tank of my snowblower, some water poured out, and into the tank, some also poured outside of the tank. Certainly over my thumb that was used to depress the thumb valve. But when I was finished I gave my fingers the sniff test, and it was negative, IE it was water, not fuel.

In the future, I'll turn the can upside down before inserting the tube into the fuel tank filler.

turbodog

Flashaholic
That sucks.

On the cans with the little plastic cap that looks like a hat... I drilled a hole in the brim. Then ran a nylon string through it and through the handle. Keeps the cap from being lost and out of the dirt also.

1696951953216.png

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
Re: Any experience with Yamaha/Honda Generators?

I looked at the pictures of the other models by this "new" mfg. I hope the mfg chokes and goes out of business. Come on guys... compete at least half way legally and ethically. The generators are an exacy copy of a honda, even the air cooling slots in the side of the case. I would not own one if it was given to me.

Pathetic
I agree, it's completely unethical. Innovation and design progress suffers when this sort of thing is allowed to go on.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Speaking of older posts.

I picked up an eu6500is for family back in 2005 right after Katrina. Unit is still going strong.

Battery died and was replaced, then died again. Pricey proprietary batt also. But unit starts on 2-3 pulls so no problem.

Still on original spark plug.

Survived a tornado where the building collapsed on it.

Have not checked, but estimate hours at 500-750.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have two generators, one I start it up once in a while, at least once a season. The other, I used to do that, but the last time I drained the carburetor. It's been about 6 months, maybe a little more.
In your opinion is it ok to leave it for a year or so without starting it?

I had a snow blower left out in the weather for about 20 years. The fuel shut off valve failed, so fuel would leak into the carb, and every year or two I'd have to give the carb a gumout treatment. To keep the cylinder lubed, every once in a while as I walked past the blower, I'd give the starter cord a couple of pulls. Now I am wondering, should I do that with the generator that I drained the carb? Or does it not matter?

Is it important to run the GENERATOR or is it ok to just run the engine? In other words, is it important to put an electrical load on the generator? Mine happen to be inverter generators, I wonder if that makes a difference.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Is it important to run the GENERATOR or is it ok to just run the engine? In other words, is it important to put an electrical load on the generator? Mine happen to be inverter generators, I wonder if that makes a difference.
I make a habit to run mine under load ~monthly. Whether this is relevant to the entirety of anti-atrophy purposes (keeping lubrication nominally distributed, carb free of residue, etc) is up for debate; I mostly want to know that it's capable of doing its job.

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm feeding my obsession with back-up power. I love playing with battery systems. I have a 2.9 KWh LFP battery bank behind my workbench feeding a Samlex 1500 Watt Full Sine inverter. I use this to operate the house frige during outages. I have the Honda 7000IS that feeds the whole house and also a Honda 2200IS that feeds Phase A of my panel, with most of the things we would use on that phase while remaining balanced. I wanted something silent. I did a ton of research and watched some great video reviews on this product.

I ended up purchasing two units both with two expandable LifeP04/LFP batteries. This battery chemistry was non-negotiable. This gives me two each, 7,680 Gross and 5.8 KWh "usable" (using 75% of capacity) silent, 120VAC battery fed inverter systems. Each of these, one at a time will connect to the preferred phase in the panel via my clothes dryer interior connector. Each unit maxes out at 2,200 watts continuous and 4,000 Watt surge. These have two each, solar panel charging input controllers.

The price comes out to about a little over $0.50 per Watt, much cheaper than most of the brand name systems.

I also bought a couple of these small units to give us about 5 hours run time for our computers after depleting the 300 Watt Hour UPS's. The Amazon price with coupon code is only $299, not the $700 you'll find at other sites.

I really do have an obsession with backup power. It's just so fun to work with battery power.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question may need a thread of its own.

Would an automobile engine (V8 or I6) be suitable for running a generator for a backup power system for an all-electric home? Would it use too much fuel, compared to a commercial ready made generator like a Generac, etc.?

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have two generators, one I start it up once in a while, at least once a season. The other, I used to do that, but the last time I drained the carburetor. It's been about 6 months, maybe a little more.
In your opinion is it ok to leave it for a year or so without starting it?

I had a snow blower left out in the weather for about 20 years. The fuel shut off valve failed, so fuel would leak into the carb, and every year or two I'd have to give the carb a gumout treatment. To keep the cylinder lubed, every once in a while as I walked past the blower, I'd give the starter cord a couple of pulls. Now I am wondering, should I do that with the generator that I drained the carb? Or does it not matter?

Have not seen data on this... but chances of both your units dying is slim. I would not worry about it.

Long term storage... technically you're supposed to put a little oil in cylinder through the spark plug hole and pull the rope to coat the bore with oil to prevent rusting. I've never done this. Would probably consider it if storing for longer than a year or so. You stop pulling when you feel compression... this ensures the valves are closed, sealing the cylinder.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm feeding my obsession with back-up power. I love playing with battery systems. I have a 2.9 KWh LFP battery bank behind my workbench feeding a Samlex 1500 Watt Full Sine inverter. I use this to operate the house frige during outages. I have the Honda 7000IS that feeds the whole house and also a Honda 2200IS that feeds Phase A of my panel, with most of the things we would use on that phase while remaining balanced. I wanted something silent. I did a ton of research and watched some great video reviews on this product.

I ended up purchasing two units both with two expandable LifeP04/LFP batteries. This battery chemistry was non-negotiable. This gives me two each, 7,680 Gross and 5.8 KWh "usable" (using 75% of capacity) silent, 120VAC battery fed inverter systems. Each of these, one at a time will connect to the preferred phase in the panel via my clothes dryer interior connector. Each unit maxes out at 2,200 watts continuous and 4,000 Watt surge. These have two each, solar panel charging input controllers.

The price comes out to about a little over $0.50 per Watt, much cheaper than most of the brand name systems.

I also bought a couple of these small units to give us about 5 hours run time for our computers after depleting the 300 Watt Hour UPS's. The Amazon price with coupon code is only $299, not the $700 you'll find at other sites.

I really do have an obsession with backup power. It's just so fun to work with battery power.
oh my goodness, unless you have frequent outages, for what you spent on your silent backups, you could fly out of state and enjoy the good life for a week or so.

I can appreciate your desire to have a back up to your back up, and a silent back up should the SHTF I mean REALLY HTF. All one needs to do is to read Sub_umbra 's water epiphany thread about how he sheltered in place during katrina.
Water-Epiphany