The socks thread

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm not sure whether least snug is good or not because compression stockings improve blood flow, but tight socks leave ugly marks when I take them off.

The trick is to put as much engineering into the sock as was put into the shoe; it doesn't make any sense to design a shoe that's snug in certain places and giving in others, then put on a sock that's tight or loose all over. The sock should only put padding where it's needed, only hold fast where the shoe does. See my recommendation above if you're interested..

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Synthetics last longer & absorb little water, which is key.

Personally I prefer blends of wool and synthetics like the Fox River Work Crew #6604
44% acrylic, 36% wool, 19% nylon, 1% spandex

Probably have owned 10 pair or more over the years, very comfy & they last

ishmael

Newly Enlightened
Darn Tough. Made in VT, guaranteed for life (< can't wait to test that out - socks always seem to wear out).
They are definitely made to last but a friend managed to damage one on the AT and they next dayed him one at the nearest town. Wasn't there so not sure how he broke his but he still raves about the CS.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this would be the place to ask...Gore Tex socks, anyone use them/like them?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This year I replaced my winter socks after learning there is such a thing as warm socks they actually stay up. Nice!!
I ended up wearing "omni wool" socks from Sams club after trying some Realtree from WalMart. The Realtree are nice for the money but they're so long I thought I was dressing for an 80's new wave video 'cause they come up to my knees.

The omni wool are more like crew socks in length. Plenty warm and definitely stay in place. About $4 a pair at Sams club.

I have also tried Pendleton dress socks with sneakers. Surprisingly warm to be as thin as they are. Only trouble with Pendleton I found is finding them in solid colors.
Edit:
the close out store had a clearance on winter socks so I snagged 2 more pair of Pendleton's for $3/pr. All socks mentioned in this post were US made.
End edit.

Last edited:

H4ppyB34r

Newly Enlightened
my Mother in law gave me some Costco WeatherProof wool socks about 3 years ago for a "stocking"stuffer.

I LOVE THEM, warm, cushy and stay dry.

i now have 12-15 pairs, i buy more every time i see them crop up on sale. with construction work boots, there is nothing better

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Trouble I used to have with cushiony socks H4 was they fell a lot, like every 12 minutes (or less) I had to pull them back over my foot. Kinda inconvenient and downright a drag when outside in freezing temps having to pull the boot off (again).

So if the Costco ones solved that, bravo!! The omniwool stay put ok but the Realtree were better. I suppose because they are so tall. The Pendletons I have stay put well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
B8F2832A-C530-4FD8-91D0-11115301B7C7.jpeg

Trying out these gold toe camp collection socks

70C5F87D-6823-4909-BBC5-8A5DAEBBCA30.jpeg

They have Lyocell yarn in them.
Lyocell is wood chips process into yarn.

I have switched to nylon or wool socks for work wear. These feel like cotton yarn when new. So it was a bit of an odd feeling at first. Kinda like walking on wool yarn. But after a few minutes it felt like normal.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Was thinking lyocell is bamboo? The bamboo socks I have are slow drying but quite comfortably soft. Curious to hear a longer term perspective on these.
I read about the material and it seems like it could be eucilyptus, bamboo, oak, or birch.

Long term for these socks I don't know but I have two shirts by a Hawaiian clothes maker Solitude I bought at least 14 years ago. The bamboo one wears like wrinkle free linen, the other (birch wood) one like a cotton dress shirt. I was dating Mrs Fixer when I bought them and we've been married nearly 15 years.

scout24

Flashaholic
Thread is relevant to my interests, lol. I absolutely chew through socks, my go-to for the last few years are Gold Toe cotton crew socks. I toss out a pair a week from holes in them, I have a years supply in a closet and keep them in my Amazon cart.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My grandma gave us kids black gold toe socks for Christmas every year. They always held up better than the 8 pairs for $1 type in the 1970's. When my first wife and I split up in the 90's I "invested" in about 50 pairs gold toe socks (didn't do laundry but once a month at first).
Most are gone but I still have a few pair from way back then. I used to get them from a store called Marshalls, which is a store that sells new old stock. The most recent ones came from Kohl's.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

In case anyone missed this in the 'Work wear' thread:

see post #86 (great value!!)

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about some Surf wear!
A local surf photographer Dave "Nelly' Nelson start up company called Merge4..
He wanted surfers to look spiffy while standing in lines to watch surf flicks..
IMG_20220507_112622233.jpg

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thorlos, the only socks I wear...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I tried out some Justin "just dry" half cushion crew height socks a couple of weeks ago. They were 2 pair for $10 at Boot Barn. US made too. 50/50 cotton/poly. Wick moisture like polyester socks.

Bottom half is nice and cushy while the top half is thin like a Morino wool dress sock. They stay up like socks should. They have become my favorite socks. They're pretty nice. As much as I like Gold Toe, those dudes are relegated to the rear of my socks drawer to make room for the Justin socks.

Latest posts