Master thread for disasters and generators.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Re: Any experience with Yamaha/Honda Generators?

45kw, $30k power back-up, wow. That draws an involuntary Tim the Tool Man Taylor sound to my throat. Down side is if it's ever needed he will have more "friends" at his house than he knew he had.

My crowd (rednecks) keep a 5,000-7,000 BTU window unit in storage along with their 2-6k generators so they can have AC just like old Johnny big bucks with his $30k system.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

design ripoffs aside good luck getting parts for the china copies of the honda.
i have several of the small honda like em and ex 1000 and parts were readily availible and inexpensive.
and the reason they needed any repairs is because the the owners left gas in them several years in a shed.these were curb purchases.
harbor freight stuff is ok for light duty but i wont bet my life on the stuff.we call it throwaway or flea market grade tools.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the internals etc of the china ripoffs are honda components, why would getting parts be difficult?

You should be able to use the same parts as if you were going to fix an "original" honda branded generator right? My understanding was that the engines are the same but the out casings/stamps are different.

Thanks

Curtis

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
keep a 5,000-7,000 BTU window unit in storage along with their 2-6k generators so they can have AC just like old Johnny big bucks

[/ QUOTE ]

now that is not a bad idea...

not a bad idea at all!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

i can run my 5000 BTU window AC off my Honda EU20001. the AC only pulls 530 watts so i could probably even run two on the same generator.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
coyote said:
i can run my 5000 BTU window AC off my Honda EU20001. the AC only pulls 530 watts so i could probably even run two on the same generator.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it would run two of them, but you could have a problem "starting" both of them at the same time.

I ran a 12.5K BTU/h window AC unit for 2 weeks on an EU2000 following hurricane Charley last year, and even had a couple amps to spare for the TV/Sat system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Having a window AC (and the means to run it) can be a real lifesaver if your power is out for a while. Having a spot to cool off can make all the difference in the world.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I picked up one of the Kipor 1000 watt models at HF a couple of days ago, it was the only one they had left. It was an open box unit that had a small crack in the plastic case, strictly a cosmetic flaw. I got it for $350 out the door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My curiousity got the better of me and I really just needed to check one of these things out.

Early indications are that this is a quality piece of equipment at a very attractive price. As you can see in the photos, it is very similar to the Honda EU1000. It's a little bit bigger, and it's also a tad louder when running, but still quite quiet. It's not quite as "polished" looking aesthetically as the Honda, but this is really not a factor for me. It also does not *seem* to offer the parallel operation of the Honda EU series generators, as it does not have the parellel "outlets". I have heard speculation that it might actually have the capability for parallel operation though, if connected together through the standard outlets. I don't know if anyone has confirmed this though. The parallel outlets on the Honda units are just banana style jacks that are wired in parallel with the AC receptacle.

Anyway, here are some comparative photos for anyone who may be interested.

Peter

IMG_0676Small.jpg

IMG_0677Small.jpg

IMG_0679Small.jpg

IMG_0680Small.jpg

IMG_0681Small.jpg

IMG_0682Small.jpg

IMG_0687Small.jpg

IMG_0686Small.jpg

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Litefuse, thanks for picking up the unit and checking it out next to the Honda. I am still trying to decide which manufacture to go with. I need to look at a portable AC unit for this season as well. I am starting to run out of time and need to make a decision soon.

I thought there were a link posted in the past on how to build a "cable" to connect up 2 generators in parallel. I think it was specific to honda, but wouldn't it work for any 2 generators as long as they are of the same size? Can they be of different sizes?

Can I parallel a EU1000 with an EU3000 Honda?

Thanks.

Curtis

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have used a Honda in the past and it was both reliable and surprisingly quiet. If I bought another generator I would probably buy Honda again for the same reasons.

Whatever you buy, put some hours on it to test reliability and function. Also spend the time to become completely familiar with it BEFORE any emergency hits. A power outage in the middle of a hurricaine is not the time to be reading the owners manual for the first time.

Brock

Flashaholic

I would not recommend paralleling any gensets that are not the same make and model without really testing it first. Since these units are inverters connecting them "end to end" so to speak could fry the electronics in short order. Although having said that you would think all the Honda's could be paralleled, but you never know.

The link I have for the Honda's are

big gas tank

parallel cord setup

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

The parallel cord is supposed to syncronize the sine wave between the two units as well as double the current capability. If you just connect two 120 outlets together you run the risk that the sine waves are out of phase, causing all sorts of real interesting problems. Accidental 230v is a bad thing.

Does the manual for the honda unit indicate that you can put a 1000 and 3000 in parallel? That might be neat for running it in minimum fuel mode at night, then firing up the second one for daytime loads.

Daniel

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
The parallel cord is supposed to syncronize the sine wave between the two units as well as double the current capability. If you just connect two 120 outlets together you run the risk that the sine waves are out of phase, causing all sorts of real interesting problems. Accidental 230v is a bad thing.

Does the manual for the honda unit indicate that you can put a 1000 and 3000 in parallel? That might be neat for running it in minimum fuel mode at night, then firing up the second one for daytime loads.

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be right, except you're not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I originally thought the same thing, that the parallel cables were "synch" cables only.

The parallel outlets on the honda are in parallel with the regular outlets. Therefore, you could simply make your own parallel cable from some cut-up extension cords.

The method of connection is this:
crank 1
plug up cable from 1 to 2
crank 2
that's it

The 2nd must check for voltage and synch to it if it is present.

Brock

Flashaholic

The funny thing is, or not so funny, on the Honda EU2000i the paralleling banana plug is just paralleled to the Edison jacks on the front. So the only real difference between that and making a male to male plug, is that if you disconnect one end you can't touch the hot leads.

Also the two gensets are supposed to be off when paralleling them, although I would think you could have one on and one off. There have been threads about people plugging them together while they are both on and apparently most of the time they sinc up, but once in a while it trips the fuse or worse fry's the inverter part.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

So if you crank 1, then crank 2 and then plug them together you are liable to mess things up, right?

It sounds like the Honda inverter has a freq matching capability. Will a normal generator sync to the freq of the first one? Something tells me it wont.

When I was at the phone company, the huge generators in the basement had to be synced by hand before their outputs were tied together. IIRC (it was 30 years ago) the huge diesel would die if the outputs were tied out of phase.

Daniel.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened

Two normal generators will sync together if they are attached to one another. With that said though - DO NOT CONNECT 2 GENERATORS TOGETHER THAT AREN'T DESIGNED TO.

The synchronization will occur due to the nature of the generators and they will attempt to balance the available power between them. This sudden acceleration/deceleration during the process is extremely violent and can actually cause one or both of the generators to jump or flip over. Not to mention the electrical damage that can occur.

Its fun to watch if its done on purpose to demonstrate the effect. Kinda like Mexican jumping generators. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are ways to use a lightbulb as a simple phase indicator but again, I don't recommend anyone try this with equipment that is not specifically designed to do it.

To answer another question in the thread, Honda does state in their manual that you should not connect generators with different wattages together. I've connected my EU1000 to my EU3000 and they both worked fine together. I can be a bit of a non-conformist though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Grid Tie! Grid Tie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Bill

PS: <font color="red">This is a joke... Please do not grid tie your Honda Generator... -BB </font>

Roel

Newly Enlightened

Guys (and I'm pretty sure there aren't any girls on this forum. Just us geeks!),

Just bought a Honda EU2000i and thought I'd contribute my $.02, particularly with regard to the propane/natural gas conversions that nobody's touched on yet. I've owned a Honda EN2500 and a Yamaha EF1000iS, and currently own a Honda engined NorthStar/ Northern Tool 5.5 kW (one of the better non-Honda branded gensets) and the aformentioned EU2000i.

Cue003, I've got one of those tri-fuel conversions from U.S. Carburetion (the same outfit you linked to -- they've got a couple of different URLs. See http://propane-generators.com ) on my NorthStar. The dual-fuel conversion requires drilling out your carb jet, so probably better left to the experts. However, the tri-fuel unit just bolts in between the air intake and the carb barrel/venturi. Installation was trivial. You could save a bit by doing it yourself. My recommendation is the tri-fuel. Honda engines are incredible, such that my NorthStar commonly starts while I'm slowly pulling the starter rope to prime the engine. However, I just couldn't get it started on natural gas (I've not tried propane). I start mine on gasoline, shut off the fuel, then when the engine hiccups, turn on the natural gas. Works every time. I think if I had someone actuating the primer on the nat gas / propane regulator while I was pulling the starter rope, it'd probably work fine, but these things can be a bear to start on nat gas / propane by yourself. Note that using your home's natural gas connection requires the volume delivered by 3/4" pipe if you're running a 6 hp or larger engine. The 3 kW or under gensets we're talking about here work fine on 1/2" pipe.

Having owned the Yamaha 1kW and now the Honda 2kW, I've been mildly obsessed with these ultra-quiet gensets for years. I considered the 3 kW models but like the portability of the smaller models. Would have made a big difference if you could get 220v out of the 3 kW, but it's strictly 110v just like the smaller ones. Note, however, that the Honda 3 kW uses Honda's commercial grade GX series engines. Don't know what's in the smaller units, but I've always been a bit leery of wearing them out. Good to hear from Chris that he's gotten so much use out of his EU1000i.

I used my generator for more than a week when we had a huge ice storm a couple of years ago that knocked power out to 800k households in the Carolinas. I wholeheartedly agree with your intention to buy something quiet. I only had my EN2500 at the time and while it was great to have power, the noise nearly drove me crazy! Note also that I ran my entire house on "just" a 2.5 kW generator. That house had gas heat, hot water, and stove, and I use flourescent lighting exclusively. However, realize that the generator sizing tables are always super conservative. I was able to run the upstairs heat (the downstairs blower was admittedly too much for my little generator), refrigerator, lights, and even cable TV / modem / laptop all at the same time (gas hot water heaters require no electricity). I had 2 other families staying with me and ran it 24 hrs/day for nearly the entire outage (yes, I was stupid and replenished the tank with the engine running) and the thing never hiccuped. And even though it's only 110v, you can light up both legs of your electrical panel pretty easily. You're not supposed to, but you can if you're careful. I did.

Final piece of advice. Buy the absolute smallest generator that'll power what you need and I highly recommend doing the natural gas / propane conversion. Biggest pain in the a** during my weeks long outage was finding gasoline. The lines at the few open gas stations were blocks long and if you're thinking you can easily siphon gas out of that late model car in your driveway, think again. Also, stick with a Honda, Yamaha, or Generac engine (I've heard Kohler is good too). Briggs engines are temperamental and suck gas! I know that Briggs now owns Generac, but they've kept the Generac engine design (and quality, I hope).

Awright, truly the final piece of advice. If you decide to buy Honda, I doubt you'll get a better price than Mayberry's in New Jersey. Honda doesn't let their dealers advertise prices on the Web, but if you call 'em they'll tell you over the phone. My EU2000i was $878.00 delivered. Cheaper than eBay!

Good luck.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Roel, welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We do actually have a handfull of ladies around here, believe it or not.

I can second the vote for Mayberrys. I have bought 2 EU2000s and 1 EU1000 from them and have been very pleased with the service and pricing. It looks like they recently put the Honda generators back on the page, but you still need to call them for pricing. Last I heard was $879 with free ground shipping. There are a couple other online dealers who will match that price too, but I'm sold on Mayberrys personally.

I also have the Northern Tool 5500W Honda powered unit. I put 300 hours on it it the weeks following hurricane Charley last summer. You are correct about the noise getting to you after a while... The Northern genset is actually pretty quiet compared to most out there, but it's a freight train compared to the inverter equipped units. And it sure does go through lots of gas to boot. I agree that you are better off to "think small" when running on generator power and just power up what you really "need" to. Running that 5500W constantly for weeks is not a practical solution for several reasons, primarily the fuel use, and the incessant noise.

I've wondered why we don't see any high wattage inverter gensets from Honda or Yamaha yet. They seem like perfect solution from everything but the cost standpoint. I think the fuel savings realized would put you ahead of the game in relatively short order though. I am very intrigued by the high wattage inverter gennys that Kipor is offering. If you look at eBay you will see a couple of dealers offering 5500W inverter generators for very attractive prices. The product that compares to the EU3000 is selling for $998. It will be interesting to see how this new (to the US market) brand will hold up with time.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing out your EU2000 from use, if you look around online you will see people reporting these things going for around 10,000 hours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Litfuse said...
I've wondered why we don't see any high wattage inverter gensets ....

I think the reason may have to do with the battery draw required to run a 5000 watt inverter. For a 12 volt battery, it takes 416 amps to provide 5000 watts. Double the batteries and you halve the amps, but you end up with more battery maintenance, weight, etc.

My understanding is that the inverter gensets use the inverter for light loads and to handle new loads while the motor spins up to take over. Is that correct?

Does the power save mode work when you have two units in parallel?

Daniel