Master thread for disasters and generators.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Re: Best generator?

I actually put some numbers to it and compared fuel costs between generators.

I compared a 4000w normal generator to a honda eu2000. Both were running a typical load of about 700w, which is what an average person will use to run typical household appliances. After only about 100 hours of runtime, or 4 days, the honda's fuel efficiency paid off. By this time it had negated the higher purchase price and was costing less to run that the home depot unit.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

More info:

Needs to be mobile, I need to be able to move it between a couple different locations.

Needs to run computers for work, this is primary. Computers do have APC UPS of different sizes. I tried running these on a generator and they didn't seem to like it (they stayed on batt backup and kept beeping), so I switched to normal surge protectors and it worked w/o frying anything (luckily).

Also want to run normal house stuff like a fridge, furnace blower, some lights. Nothing that would push a 5000 watt generator hard, and I'd stagger start ups if needed.

Noise is a non-issue. The unit would be 50' away from my house and I have no neighboors.

I'd like as long a runtime as I can get.

I will likely install a transfer switch for my home.

Engine choice is the biggie it seems: Honda, Yamaha, Robin, Cummins/Onan, Tecumseh, Briggs & Stratton, etc.

The inverter Honda's are interesting, due to the computer issue... but they are a little smaller and more expensive than I was looking for.

LouRoy

Enlightened

I've got a Honda EU2000 generator which I have used since 2003 through three different hurricanes. In one case, we were without power for seven days, so it got a good workout. It ran the refrigerator, microwave, lights, TV, computers, my home office, etc. with no problem. For awhile, it was running my neighbor's refrigerator as well as our household load.

When the generator is being used, we just go about life as usual and run anything we want (except the electric oven). It is more than sufficient for 4 people in our 2300sf house. I connect it directly to the house main panel through a transfer switch, which eliminates the use of extension cords.

The advantages: it is very quiet, it only weighs 46 pounds so it is easy to move, and it really sips the gas. I keep careful records and under our typical loads, it will run for 8-10 hours on one gallon of gas. This is more important than you might think--7 days without power would be a HUGE amount of gas on a typical 5000watt unit. During our seven day power outage, I used just over 10 gallons of gas. (Just guessing, but those large unit might use 10 gallons per DAY!) I would turn the unit off at night and sometimes during the day for 3-4 hours.

Did I say it was quiet? It is so quiet, that if I walk 50 feet out to the road, I cannot hear it run. None of my neighbors can hear it. One of my neighbors has a large typical generator. He lives one street over from me. I can hear his generator running all the way from my house. It is LOUD! I feel sorry for the people who live close to him.

I paid $825 for my unit. As previously mentioned, you could buy two for $1700 and connect them in series. Although I don't know why a typical house would need more power than one unit can provide. It takes care of all our needs and I highly recommend the Honda EU2000.

Even if it doesn't meet your stated criteria. :nana:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

We have a Honda EU3000. All the same goodness as the 2000, but more capacity
and quieter (It is the quietest generator on the market).
If the load is 750 watts or less, it runs the engine near idle, so it
consumes much less fuel, (even less than the EU2000 in this mode) revving up when more power is needed.
It has electric start (I don't think the EU1000 or EU2000 do).

turbodog

Flashaholic

It will cost a little more, but you might look at a tri fuel unit. They can run from natural gas, propane, and regular gas.

This has the advantage of not having to run of out gas. The secondary advantage is that if you run it primarily from natural gas or propane there's no residue to gum up the carburetor.

As far as running costs go, I have no idea if gaseous fuel is cheaper than gasoline.

But don't sell the honda/yamaha inverter series short. If you think they can work for you I guarantee that they will be cheaper in the mid to long run. Their only real drawback is that they don't output 240v, but that's usually onl used for well pumps, stoves, ovens, and hot water heaters.

Just FYI: If someone's looking for the mack-daddy cadillac model I bought a honda em7000is last year. It's hands-down the nicest genset I have ever had. It does 120v/240v and also has a 120v only switch. And, get this, even at 7000 watts it IS an inverter series.

Datasaurusrex said:
More info:

Needs to be mobile, I need to be able to move it between a couple different locations.

Needs to run computers for work, this is primary. Computers do have APC UPS of different sizes. I tried running these on a generator and they didn't seem to like it (they stayed on batt backup and kept beeping), so I switched to normal surge protectors and it worked w/o frying anything (luckily).

Also want to run normal house stuff like a fridge, furnace blower, some lights. Nothing that would push a 5000 watt generator hard, and I'd stagger start ups if needed.

Noise is a non-issue. The unit would be 50' away from my house and I have no neighboors.

I'd like as long a runtime as I can get.

I will likely install a transfer switch for my home.

Engine choice is the biggie it seems: Honda, Yamaha, Robin, Cummins/Onan, Tecumseh, Briggs & Stratton, etc.

The inverter Honda's are interesting, due to the computer issue... but they are a little smaller and more expensive than I was looking for.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gonna go on the bandwagon with everyone else.

In general I recommend two generators. One small fuel sipper for long runtimes(Honda/Yamaha inverter series or the like) to power your computer and lights and fridge and whatnot, and another larger generator, something that'll run your well pump or other large loads. You'll probably run the large generator for only half an hour a day. The large generator can be a cheap Harbor Freight special, as it won't get used nearly as much.

I much prefer water cooled slow speed diesel gensets, but they're neither cheap nor portable, unless mounted on a trailer. :) :buddies:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is probably the best 3kw one. A little expensive but then it does replace a car, you can use it to escape if you have to abandon your home, and the gas will always be fresh too...

For less portable power, natural gas would be ideal if you could be assured it wouldn't also get shut off in the emergency (earthquake, etc) that causes the outage in the first place. Or consider diesel if your home uses oil heating.

cy

Flashaholic

yep great advice given!

I'm running a 5,500 watt honda inverter unit. which of course takes care of all my house needs.

5,500 watt's too big. do have a freezer and frig to start up. but past that actual current load is not that large.

5,500 goes thru aprox. 5 gal per day with some off time. would recommend a nice mid sized unit (3,000) for most folks. if you don't have the cash to go double Honda 2,000's, which of course is better. but almost twice the price.

LouRoy

Enlightened

AndyTiedye said:
We have a Honda EU3000. All the same goodness as the 2000, but more capacity
and quieter (It is the quietest generator on the market).
If the load is 750 watts or less, it runs the engine near idle, so it
consumes much less fuel, (even less than the EU2000 in this mode) revving up when more power is needed.

I agree with Andy that the EU3000 is a nice machine, and I considered buying it. But it weighs 134 pounds, which is too much for me to move around. And according to Honda, it uses more than double the amount of gasoline at 1/4 load as the EU2000. (.17 gal/hr vs. .07 gal/hr for the EU2000) (of course, at 1/4 load it is also producing more watts)

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Having the 3 gallons on the EU3000 is nice vs the 1.1 on the EU2000. When you add the 5 gallon aux tank to the EU2000 for about $100 it gives you about a 40 hour runtime on 50% load. The aux tank also works with the EU3000 but the runtime would be longer with the EU2000.

When I ran my EU2000 hard (abused) to power a fridge/freezer, 5000 btu window AC and a couple of lights and fans it would run out of fuel in 6 hours. ( I didn't have the aux tank then and would have to get up in the middle of the night to refuel, it sucked) I did that nearly 24 hours a day for 10+ days with no ill effects.

I recently used the 12 volt feature with my EU2000 to power a conversion van battery while it ran a 19" TV and DVD. I ran it about 12 hours over 2 days without refueling when I shut it down with fuel remaining. It never got above idle the whole time it ran.

I know Turbo and I love generator threads!

Last edited:

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

The gas sipping nature of the Honda EU2000 is appealing. I can't see how it would run my load though.

2 computers (large P4s) with a 17" & 20" LCDs.
Modem & router
6 or 7 lights (65 watt incandescent)
Furnace blower
Fridge
Small water pump (120v)
and maybe another misc item or two at times (scanner, printer, external drive)
Maybe running UPSs for my computers (one's large, one is small)

That should put things at around 4000 watts or so (just going off 'general' stats found online)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

big lots sells some by the name of pro source. Seems they are cheap Chineese made units, but from what I have read on rv forums, they hold up, but are a bit louder than other units. I blieve they had a 1000 watt unit for 150 bucks.

frisco

Enlightened

Datasaurusrex said:
Best generator for between $800-$1000?

Criteria: Gas, around 5000-5500 watts.

Best is defined as longest lasting, most trouble free, etc.

I really don't think your gonna find a unit that fits your critera unless you can find a used Honda ES6500 for that money.

Here is my current list of Honda's

1 unit - EX 1000
2 units - EU 2000
1 unit - EX 2200
2 units - EU 3000
3 units - ES 6500

In general the Honda's produce very clean AC. Those Discount Generac and other off brands produce very dirty AC. They get there specs by running at a very high RPM. (I know.... I fell into the trap once. Bought a Costco 5000 watt Generac.... It burned up..... not repairable)

Save your money for a Honda (not just a Honda motor) I found a couple of mine used on craigslist.

Mine are used in the Film/Photography/Event industry. We call these Putt Putts, when big power is needed we call in the diesel generator trucks.

frisco

BR549

Newly Enlightened

I have a Honda 2000 and a Briggs & Stratton 8550. There is no doubt as to the quality of the Honda but when getting a larger genset I could not justify the cost of the larger Honda's. Aside from being quite loud I have no complaints from the Briggs & Stratton - the noise issue was easily solved by building a box to sit it in out in the backyard. I run the big one as backup for the house and can pretty much run everything. It does run through some gas, but I keep the tanks in my boat full so that gives me an extra 60 gallons that I always have on hand. Mine is purely a backup so realistically it is seldom used - it would take a long time to make up the difference in price paid vs the premium for the Honda.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I sounds like you would be OK except for the well pump. I think the surge of the pump would knock you off line with other things plugged in. I feel confident my 5,000 btu window AC pulls more then the 2 computers and the blower. Now...if the blower were cycling, another problem. It sounds doable as long as the well pump doesn't draw too much on start-up or the blower fan isn't as big a brute as my whole house fan. It would take a bit of testing and juggling to make it work. Something like, turn off the well pump when you need to run everything else and start the blower and run it for X amount of time then turn it off and run all the other stuff or keep it running all the time when other items are running, no cycling.

I have a huge whole house belt driven attic fan I would run off my little Honda. I would have to spin the blades a little by hand and unplug everything else to keep it from tripping the EU2000 on start-up. Once the fan was running I could plug in several items. I never let the window AC cycle once it was running because it would absolutely get knocked off line with one or two more items plugged in. I could never run the window unit and attic fan at the same time because of the surge of each.

I have 2 of the EU2000's, Generac 6550 with about 5 hours on it, plus a Coleman 4,000 that's old and just about worn out. The Generac and the Coleman became little more than fuel storage units once I got the Honda's. I also made a mistake earlier in the year and bought half interest in a 6000 watt diesel we planned to resale but it's still sitting at my buddy's house going unused. It seemed like a great deal at the time.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic

The water pump is the real killer for 2 reasons:

1. electric motors are hard to start up. they have huge surge currents
2. anything that moves water has a hefty load to handle

That said, check the specs on the pump. If it's a 4 amp 120v unit, you'll have no problem

And finally, WHAT ARE YOU DOING RUNNING INCANDESCENT LIGHTS?

I vote for a 1 week ban from CPF for admitting that.

I will add my honda eu2000 testimony:

During katrina I rented my unit to some people for 2 days ($$$). After that I loaned it to family. Keep in mind these are generator ignorant people. They started plugging stuff in as they saw fit.

They ran:
deep freeze
standard fridge/freezer
2 60w lights
large tv
satellite dish
2 fans
microwave
radio

This continued 24 hours a day for 3-4 days in 95F Mississippi heat with no problems.

Datasaurusrex said:
The gas sipping nature of the Honda EU2000 is appealing. I can't see how it would run my load though.

2 computers (large P4s) with a 17" & 20" LCDs.
Modem & router
6 or 7 lights (65 watt incandescent)
Furnace blower
Fridge
Small water pump (120v)
and maybe another misc item or two at times (scanner, printer, external drive)
Maybe running UPSs for my computers (one's large, one is small)

That should put things at around 4000 watts or so (just going off 'general' stats found online)